till / until

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:34 pm
You said that it wouldn't be a problem since you could provide a car till / until I had bought one myself.

Is there any difference between 'till' and 'until'. I believe they are interchangeable. Am I correct?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 423 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:07 pm
If you look up in any English dictionary you'll find that till is not an appropriate word in this context. The word "till" is an agricultural term, thus inappropriate here.

However, if you mean the word 'til, this is a an informal word or contraction. If you're speaking or writing informally or using the vernacular, you could use 'til. If you're speaking formal English, the correct usage is the word is until.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:11 pm
till 2 (tl)
prep.
Until.
conj.
Until.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old English til, from Old Norse.]
Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies.·Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:11 pm
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/till
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:15 pm
Re: till / until
Yoong Liat wrote:
You said that it wouldn't be a problem since you could provide a car till / until I had bought one myself.

Is there any difference between 'till' and 'until'. I believe they are interchangeable. Am I correct?

Thanks.

My dictionary has "till" as a synonym for until. However, "till" seems entirely inapppropriate in your sample sentence. It's a very informal, conversational, almost colloquial approach to the language. I'd use "until" and in most cases--unless you're sure.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
It's good to see you bright and alert, Roberta, and at midnight yet.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:09 am
Flyboy, Midnight to me is just the beginning of prime time.
0 Replies