Should Ahmadinejad be Allowed to Speak at Columbia?

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:20 am
Should Ahmadinejad be Allowed to Speak at Columbia?

Quote:
Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly, in condemning Columbia's invitation to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, stated that he's tired of free speech. Ironically, in doing so, he exercised that specific freedom, a privilege that allows critical engagement with elected officials and forces them to defend their actions. He used a right that the people of Iran do not enjoy.

Unlike Americans, who are able to challenge the legitimacy of the Patriot Act or take issue with America's continued presence in Iraq, Iranians cannot question Ahmadinejad's nuclear program or theocratic laws. Due to government control of most major media outlets as well as the threat of imprisonment for dissent, they are forced to accept these policies. This lack of freedom of speech gives Ahmadinejad and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei both a bully pulpit and immunity from accounting for policies.

It is for this reason that Ahmadinejad's visit to Columbia University on Monday is so vital. He will be challenged by students who will exercise their right to free speech in the way that their counterparts in Iran cannot. They will question his absurd ideological views that the Holocaust never occurred and that Israel should be wiped off the planet. They will force him to account for Iran's burgeoning nuclear program, interference with American efforts in Iraq, and ongoing support of terrorist groups such as Hezbollah. Most importantly, they will be given the opportunity to impugn Ahmadinejad's abhorrent oppression of the Iranian people, disputing the rationality of Iran's misogynist, homophobic, and other malicious laws. In short, Columbia students will get to demand answers to questions that the Iranians cannot so much as utter publicly.

Moreover, Columbia's invitation to Ahmadinejad not only shows the world the importance of free speech, but also demonstrates what free speech means. Free speech does not simply allow individuals to express their views. It also forces them to defend and validate those views.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,850 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:59 am
Someone voted no but doesn't bother to defend her or his view.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 09:31 am
Obviously, he should be allowed to speak. Equally obviously, Netanyahu should be allowed to speak. To restrict such a basic and essential freedom is to move quickly in the direction of totalitarian control.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:11 am
Ahmadinejad opening his mouth is best way to let the world know what a nut job he is. Why silence him? I don't want to silence Kim Il-sung, Bush, Putin, Mugabe etc, what better way to get the public to turn against such leaders as to let them speak.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
I agree - let him speak.

Hell, let him visit 'ground zero' if he likes.

Getting your britches in a bunch is exactly what people like him wish for you to do; better instead to just treat him like any other guy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:22 am
agreed. let him speak. he'll end up preaching to the choir anyway... only the same types as those who swallow the bush administrations bullshit hook line and sinker will give credence to his remarks.

Same sheep, different shepherds. Who cares?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:49 am
So sorry I didn't actually write anything to "defend" my view Rox. Something else intruded on my time thus keeping me from doing so when I voted.

I have no problem with this idiot spewing forth his hatred of all things western. Free speech is free speech. If he wants to stand on the corner of Wall Street and spew his venom, all power to him. He has done a really fine job of getting his views out while sitting in the comfy confines of Iran. But I do have a problem of an American university giving him a platform to spew his hatred. But of course it seems my liberal friends here think otherwise. It just seems to me to be enough hatred in this world without giving a platform to someone who openly wishes for the destruction of our country.

I've read often on A2K from other conservatives how they think the liberals must support our enemies. I think I'm going to start believing them.

And that's all I have to say on this matter because there really is no need for me to come back and debate this issue with you Roxxxanne or anyone else. This opinion you all are taking disgusts me so I'll leave now before I exercise my free speech rights and say something that will cause hard feelings between myself and a couple of you who I consider to be A2K friends.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:51 am
cue the Lee Greenwood.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:52 am
CoastalRat wrote:
So sorry I didn't actually write anything to "defend" my view Rox. Something else intruded on my time thus keeping me from doing so when I voted.

I have no problem with this idiot spewing forth his hatred of all things western. Free speech is free speech. If he wants to stand on the corner of Wall Street and spew his venom, all power to him. He has done a really fine job of getting his views out while sitting in the comfy confines of Iran. But I do have a problem of an American university giving him a platform to spew his hatred. But of course it seems my liberal friends here think otherwise. It just seems to me to be enough hatred in this world without giving a platform to someone who openly wishes for the destruction of our country.

I've read often on A2K from other conservatives how they think the liberals must support our enemies. I think I'm going to start believing them.

And that's all I have to say on this matter because there really is no need for me to come back and debate this issue with you Roxxxanne or anyone else. This opinion you all are taking disgusts me so I'll leave now before I exercise my free speech rights and say something that will cause hard feelings between myself and a couple of you who I consider to be A2K friends.

Attitudes like yours are the ones which give him power; attitudes like ours rob him of power.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:54 am
I find placation and pandering often robs tyrants of power. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
I find placation and pandering often robs tyrants of power. Rolling Eyes

Allowing someone to speak is neither placation nor pandering. But you're not really intelligent enough to tell the difference, so I forgive you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 10:57 am
Allowing someone to speak and inviting someone to speak are two very different things, but you're not really intelligent enough to tell the difference.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:00 am
McGentrix wrote:
Allowing someone to speak and inviting someone to speak are two very different things, but you're not really intelligent enough to tell the difference.

Inviting someone to speak doesn't equate to either placation or pandering, but you're not really intelligent enough to know the difference.

And I mean that, seriously. You are not intelligent enough to know the difference. This fact becomes more and more obvious every time you post.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Inviting someone to speak doesn't equate to either placation or pandering, but you're not really intelligent enough to know the difference.

And I mean that, seriously. You are not intelligent enough to know the difference. This fact becomes more and more obvious every time you post.

Cycloptichorn

I know you like to throw your insults around when challenged, it must be a fun game for you as often as it happens.

Ahmagettinafootjob does not represent the type of person anyone in America should be willing to host. Aside from his visit to the U.N., his time in America should be limited to his convoy and an airplane.

What could he possibly have to say that would be of interest to anyone, especially at a university campus? Maybe he can explain to them how the dirty Jews created the holocaust and that is why they should be eradicated from the Earth. Or, perhaps he will say something negative about the current American administration. I know you lunatics on the left eat that **** for breakfast. I bet most of the people that would want to go hear him would probably rather have him as their representative to the UN.

So, placate your hero cycloptichorn, pander to his insanity and perhaps someday you can be just like him. An insane little man.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:16 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I know you like to throw your insults around when challenged, it must be a fun game for you as often as it happens.

Ahmagettinafootjob does not represent the type of person anyone in America should be willing to host. Aside from his visit to the U.N., his time in America should be limited to his convoy and an airplane.

What could he possibly have to say that would be of interest to anyone, especially at a university campus? Maybe he can explain to them how the dirty Jews created the holocaust and that is why they should be eradicated from the Earth. Or, perhaps he will say something negative about the current American administration. I know you lunatics on the left eat that **** for breakfast. I bet most of the people that would want to go hear him would probably rather have him as their representative to the UN.

So, placate your hero cycloptichorn, pander to his insanity and perhaps someday you can be just like him. An insane little man.

He isn't my hero; or my enemy. He's just another person. That's the part that you idiot right-wingers don't seem to understand.

By building him up to be some sort of devil, you are giving him power. Legitimacy. I give him neither power nor legitimacy by refusing to care what he says or does. If he is going to spout off a bunch of anti-jew and crazy stuff in a speech, then how does that help him, and not hurt him? If we deny him from making that speech in the first place, how does that hurt him, and not help him?

Try thinking - just a little bit, for just a second - and you'll understand why attitudes like yours and CR's are exactly the response he was looking for, coming here. If we just didn't give a damn, his visit would be meaningless. But, Conservatives like yourself just can't get over the fact that an enemy leader, gasp, wouldn't be arrested upon sight when he enters America!

Where were you when Reagan was hosting Chinese and Russians in the 80's? My guess is, lapping it up. You should be as honest on this thread as you were on the other one; you have no real moral dog in this hunt, other then the continual and unstoppable pursuit of partisan Republican advantage.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:27 am
Quote:
Turning Ahmadinejad into public enemy No. 1
Demonizing the Iranian president and making his visit to New York seem controversial are all part of the neoconservative push for yet another war.

By Juan Cole

Sept. 24, 2007 | Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's visit to New York to address the United Nations General Assembly has become a media circus. But the controversy does not stem from the reasons usually cited.

The media has focused on debating whether he should be allowed to speak at Columbia University on Monday, or whether his request to visit Ground Zero, the site of the Sept. 11 attack in lower Manhattan, should have been honored. His request was rejected, even though Iran expressed sympathy with the United States in the aftermath of those attacks and Iranians held candlelight vigils for the victims. Iran felt that it and other Shiite populations had also suffered at the hands of al-Qaida, and that there might now be an opportunity for a new opening to the United States.

[Instead, the U.S. State Department denounced Ahmadinejad as himself little more than a terrorist. Critics have also cited his statements about the Holocaust or his hopes that the Israeli state will collapse. He has been depicted as a Hitler figure intent on killing Israeli Jews, even though he is not commander in chief of the Iranian armed forces, has never invaded any other country, denies he is an anti-Semite, has never called for any Israeli civilians to be killed, and allows Iran's 20,000 Jews to have representation in Parliament.

There is, in fact, remarkably little substance to the debates now raging in the United States about Ahmadinejad. His quirky personality, penchant for outrageous one-liners, and combative populism are hardly serious concerns for foreign policy. Taking potshots at a bantam cock of a populist like Ahmadinejad is actually a way of expressing another, deeper anxiety: fear of Iran's rising position as a regional power and its challenge to the American and Israeli status quo. The real reason his visit is controversial is that the American right has decided the United States needs to go to war against Iran. Ahmadinejad is therefore being configured as an enemy head of state.
/QUOTE] http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/09/24/ahmadinejad/index.html
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:29 am
McGentrix carries so much emotional baggage about being rejected for military service tat it clouds his judgement.

We all have our issues. I never got over missing the golden ring and being a rockstar so I deal cocaine to middle school kids.

Who's to say who's more unbalanced?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:30 am
No, you are wrong. He is NOT simply another person. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

He is the leader of a country that is seeking nuclear weapons, that has publicly stated he wishes to see other countries obliterated and is a general prick on human rights.

Knowing the facts on this man is not building him up as a devil, and it does not give him power. He already has that through the oppression he and his government use on the folks back home.

If you want to sit in your comfy Berkeley home and ignore one of the most dangerous men in the world coming here and speaking before a bunch of idiots that will be hanging on his every word, that is fine for you. I am sure your ignorance will be greatly appreciated by him.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:33 am
So now someone with a different opinion is an idiot right-winger. And why? Simply because we believe that an American institution should not invite the president of another country to speak even while that country is sending material into Iraq to kill our soldiers? And even though he openly preaches the destruction of our country? And we are the idiots!!!

It is you Cy who would give him legitimacy by inviting him to speak. I beg to differ that the only idiot here is you and the liberals who think it is quite ok to invite him to talk about his desire to destroy us here on our own soil.

I once respected your opinions even when they differed from mine just as I thought you at least respected mine. But now it seems I am nothing but an idiot to you when I disagree. So fine. Regardless of how you think of me, I will proudly stand by my view on this. Columbia was wrong to invite him and I am sure he is just all giddy knowing he can spout his hatred of us and have it legitimized by an invite from a university.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 11:34 am
McGentrix wrote:
No, you are wrong. He is NOT simply another person. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

He is the leader of a country that is seeking nuclear weapons, that has publicly stated he wishes to see other countries obliterated and is a general prick on human rights.

Knowing the facts on this man is not building him up as a devil, and it does not give him power. He already has that through the oppression he and his government use on the folks back home.

If you want to sit in your comfy Berkeley home and ignore one of the most dangerous men in the world coming here and speaking before a bunch of idiots that will be hanging on his every word, that is fine for you. I am sure your ignorance will be greatly appreciated by him.

"One of the most dangerous men in the world"

Laughing

Are you serious?

I think I've figured out that a large part of the Conservative ethos is the desperate need to prove to everyone that you aren't complete pussies. Yet, you are; you're afraid of everything.

Repeat after me, McG:

I am not afraid of terrorism!

You will feel much better after you do. You do realize that this reflexive fear, that you continually see the need to tamp down, is what gives terrorists power and legitimacy?

He's just another person, no more, no less. He doesn't even call the shots in his own country; that, according to decades of right-wing knowledge, is the province of the shadowy council of mullahs who run his country. So what do you care, what the puppet has to say? Other then to, yaknow, display what a tough guy you are.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies