'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.'

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:39 am
I still don't agree about the meat loaf.

meat loaf cannot be constrained that way.

meat loaf must be free to all cultures.

I'm tired of meat loaf being repressed like this.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:40 am
where the HELL is my m'fer ice tea?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:43 am
I was half listening to GMA this morning, and Newt G. was on....

He was saying something about bi-partisan workshops, and I thought he said "bi-partisan pork chops", which made a lot more sense to me actually.

He was probably thinking about having lunch at Sylvia's

"I dont dig on swine man" - Samuel L. Jackson - Pulp Fiction
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:51 am
It might be less confusing to just stick to the Four Seasons or Hard Rock Cafe.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:53 am
snood wrote:

a caucasian occasion....that's what you're saying right?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:13 am
snood wrote:
So I talked to my homegirl and she said "Most of them wouldn't know soul food if it jumped up and bit 'em anyway".

Tell her to tell them to go to Sylvia's. It is the place to go.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:51 pm
Good grief, it sounds like you all spend a lot of time at this Sylvia's place....

Hey, no wonder B.O. felt so nice and comfortable there-- there was no one there but a bunch of whiteys from a2k, talking about soul food! Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm
snood wrote:

I've never been to either Confused

Are they really white places or something?

I went to hear a book reading by David Sedaris when he came to Austin, and he mentioned he stayed at the 4 Seasons.

Apparantly he wasn't too impressed, he said they should change their name to the 2 Seasons.

The Hard Rock Cafe sounds like it would be really boring. Like really crappy food and generic service.

I think we should have an A2K gathering and meet up at Sylvia's.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 01:04 pm
Chai wrote:
I think we should have an A2K gathering and meet up at Sylvia's.

Chai, I hate to tell ya this, but it's not the kind of place where you can yell things like "M-Fer, where's my iced tea!" I don't think you'd like it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 01:30 pm
oh, like you can't take me out in public or something Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
snood wrote:
So I talked to my homegirl and she said "Most of them wouldn't know soul food if it jumped up and bit 'em anyway".

Tell her to tell them to go to Sylvia's. It is the place to go.

No one goes to Sylvia's anymore, it's too crowded.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:52 pm
No one goes there - its too crowded. Hah!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:16 pm
Story coming up on Countdown, apparently, there are people calling for Fox to fire Billo. ***developing***

What astounds me is that it appears that this is is the first time that BillO ever ate at a soul food restaurant. And he is what, 59?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:20 pm
Bill O Reilly probably would find black pepper on his mashed potatoes to be too ethnic....
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:30 pm
This story has legs apparently as a Sylvia's family spokespersonreportedly found the comments offensive.

And Billo is currently embroiled in a feud with Media Matters over the incident.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:32 pm
it was pretty offensive.... arrogant and ignorant...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 06:51 pm
Olbermann aired Billo's comments leading up to the M-Fer line and hearing it made his remarks even more offensive. He opined that blacks are doing well these days now that thye have learned to speak well and think for themselves and White America is ignorant of the fact that they aren't all gangstas. Myabe Billo's racist white America looks at blacks that way, my "White America" doesn't. OTOH Maybe I am just out of the loop because I can't recall being in a group of over 10 people who were all white in years unless it was a family gathering.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 08:24 am
Billo Mentally Ill?Keith Olbermann: Is Bill O'Reilly mentally ill?
Nick Langewis and Mike Aivaz
Published: Friday September 28, 2007

"These people aren't gonna get away with this. I'm gonna go right where they live. Every corrupt media person in this country is on notice right now. I'm coming after you. I'm gonna hunt you down. And I mean it. Smear stops here. You're all on notice out there. I'm comin' for ya."
--Bill O'Reilly, The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly

"Tonight," opens MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, "as in the past few days, Bill O'Reilly has devoted large sections of his shows to defending himself against critics who pointed out the racism in his surprise that people in a black-owned restaurant know how to order iced tea without cursing about somebody's mother."

Though "an argument can be made" for a parallel between racism and mental deficiency, says Olbermann, he seeks to take a serious look into the possibility of real psychological problems plaguing the host of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor in light of recent remarks, construed racist, following a visit to a predominantly black restaurant.

O'Reilly, says Olbermann, is showing signs of paranoia stemming from a disconnect between the outside world "and his own head."

"Americans should be very skeptical of the news media. No longer can it be trusted." --Bill O'Reilly

"We haven't trusted you in ten years," quips Olbermann.

Marvin Kitman, author of The Man Who Would Not Shut Up: The Rise of Bill O'Reilly and self-proclaimed "leading O'Reillyologist," is quoted in his recent Huffington Post blog post:

"When I began studying him he was a semi-demented TV newsman, who rudely interrupted guests in debates, giving them the last word, which he also interrupted, but lately he seems to be losing it."

"He seems more unhinged than usual," says Kitman. "He has two people on debating an issue when we're lucky, but even when somebody is on his side, if they're slightly off--like, one degree--he comes down on them--and he's just about ready to implode, I can see, looking at him."

Kitman sees an air of paranoia around O'Reilly, and a fear that everybody's out to get him, "which I guess is partially true." In O'Reilly's recent "debut as a restaurant critic," he adds, O'Reilly demonstrated his trademark case of "Achilles mouth."

Olbermann wonders out loud if O'Reilly's missed the kind of backlash that disgraced MSNBC host Don Imus received for his "nappy-headed hoes" gaffe due to a lack of expectation, on the part of the public, of common decency due to diminished mental capacity.

"I think he's on the verge of having a breakdown," says Kitman. "I think he needs psychiatric help."

"Having a conversation with O'Reilly is like trying to take a drink of water from an open fire hydrant." --Marvin Kitman, September 25, 2007
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 09:10 am
Why get rid of O'Reilly? Fox has probably a few dozen more just like him in the wings, ready to fill the void.
0 Replies