wish / hope

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:39 am
Since going on tozan to Japan to pray to the Dai-Gohonzon in the Head Temple can bring us such great benefits, I wish all the believers of our temple in Singapore will try their best to go to the Head Temple to have an audience with the Dai-Gohonzon.

Should I use 'hope' instead of 'wish'? Are there any errors in the above sentences?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 389 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:48 am
Yes, "hope" is better. "Wish" would be wrong.

No mistakes, except a capital letter which is missing.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:52 am
Quote:
Should I use 'hope' instead of 'wish'?

1. I would use 'hope'. "Wish" is most commonly used in hypothetical (or imagined) situations, while 'hope' can be used to specify a desired outcome.

2. You ask, "Are there any errors in the above sentences?", but it is in fact only one (very long) sentence. I would rectify that in the following fashion:

Going on tozan to Japan to pray to the Dai-Gohonzon in the Head Temple can bring us such great benefits. I hope all the believers of our temple in Singapore will try their best to go to the Head Temple to have an audience with the Dai-Gohonzon.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:55 am
Thanks Mc Tag and Contrex for your guidance.
0 Replies