Is verb correctly used?

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:49 am
I was watching friends and in the episode, Ross is buying a couch with Rachel and he says to the salesman : "I want to make sure I bought the right couch."

Is 'bought' correctly used?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 397 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 04:49 am
I was watching "Friends" and, in the episode, Ross is buying a couch with Rachel and he says to the salesman: "I want to make sure I bought the right couch."

Correctly? Hard to say! This is colloquial US English. He means, "I want to make sure I shall have bought the right couch."

How can you bear to watch that dreadful series? It makes me want to smash the TV set!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 04:57 am
Thanks, Contrex.

BrE and AmE are making it confusing for users of English.

Regards.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:25 am
really contrex? u don't like to watch this kind of series Very Happy I think they are sometimes funny, but they are too long for somebody to "follow" !!!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:39 am
safinaz wrote:
really contrex? u don't like to watch this kind of series Very Happy I think they are sometimes funny, but they are too long for somebody to "follow" !!!

The series has everything I hate... stupid whiny adenoidal sounding twenty something people from a certain part of the world... I won't say any more.
0 Replies