Who Hates Their Job

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:06 pm
I've long been a firm believer in doing what one can to make a bad situation tolerable and a tolerable situation better. Once those efforts prove fruitless than it's time to move on.

Heeven, change is seldom easy but sometimes it's the only way to get out of the mud. Good luck in your new pursuits.

Les Paul, unless you are an indentured servant to your current employer, why do you stay in a job you hate?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:26 pm
I like my boss....I'm self employed. :wink:
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 04:55 pm
dhtr
I stay in a job I hate for one reason only:

The last time I was foolish enough to walk out of a job, I was unemployed for 3 months, this eventually effected the way that I perceived myself.

But more importantly it effected the way that I thought other people perceived me, slowly your self esteem wears away and you wonder are you now a bum in other peoples eyes.

This obviously is not the way other people are seeing you but in almost a panic, this is the silly kind of thing that you find yourself worrying about, other than GOD, DAY TIME T.V. HAS GONE DOWN HILL.

Efforts are rarely rewarded in a work sense, I find happiness in the other aspects of my life, my relationship with the Mrs, a win on a scratch card, a good cut of beef from the butcher.................

You know the stupid little things that are so easilly swept aside when things are going well.

I think that these are more important to me than anything else and my job allows me to continue with these simple pleasures.............

BUT I STILL HATE MY JOB................. LOL.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:01 pm
Les, why don't you just look for a job while still with the current one? You can post a resume online and you should be able to make phone calls with a cel (you may need to do this during breaks or lunch time).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:38 pm
i agree with jes. i don't think that "efforts are rarely rewarded in a work sense". in fact, there are many environments where they are rewarded. though it may be convenient to believe if you want to convince yourself to stay at your current job, because it's not worth looking for something else, everything's the same, yada yada yada. You are the master of your destiny, remember that. you shouldn't be miserable at your job, that's where you spend a major portion of your life. it's your life! take the steering wheel.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:32 am
gjnh
It would be easy enough to apply for jobs whilst still in my current employment.

The problem that arises is when you need to start taking time off work in order to attend interviews.

The more time off you take the more crap you have to put up with from your current boss, this just makes a bad situation worse and inevitable makes you hate your time at work even more.

I am seeking new employment and will eventually find it I should imagine.

And after the new boss promises the world at your interview, once in their employment, most of these promises turn to dust.

You are then in the same hole, just with someone different burying you.

I am only cynical about work, every other aspect of my life, I am completely in control and 99 percent happy.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:17 am
Then become a temporary worker. You go on assignments, you're there for a few months or a year and then you are moved to something else. Here in the US, temps can get a lot of benefits. This is the third temp job I have had and I've been doing this one for over a year (the last 2 also lasted a year) -- and am set for at least another year, maybe more. The pay is okay, my raise could've been better. I can get medical, dental and optical (I get those through my husband's work so I don't use them via my employer), plus I get 401(k) (retirement account) and travel expenses. Anyway, it might be an option for you.

Yes, if you want to find another job, you have to take time from your current job. You cannot make this new omelet without breaking some eggs. So break the damn eggs. One thing you can do if you are looking for work while working is to be very selective. And push the recruiter or potential employer. You'll have to take time off in order to interview, so it better be worthwhile. Don't just go on every interview, willy nilly. Be selective. Because you can.

As for assuming that all employers are going to be the same then, hey, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy after a while. If you don't think you need to try because it'll never be right, then it never really will be right and you might as well stay where you are. Forever. But if you want to take a chance on a new situation, then you need to be a part of the meeting halfway. There are two sides to every relationship. You cannot place all of the work and all of the blame and all of the need to change on the employer's side. Some of it has to come from you.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 04:17 am
eyery
Jes, am rushing out the door as we speak.

You offer some very sound advice, advice that I will act on.

Will put the wheels in motion on Monday, will let you all know what happens.

Thanks.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:22 am
87o
I start a new job on Thursday in the same field that I am working in now.

Fingers crossed.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 04:42 am
Wow, that was quick! Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 08:35 am
So it's been a year out of school and in my first full time office job. The mediocrity is burning my soul. I thought it would be nice to have money. But I was a lot happier being poor and somewhat free.

So I have decided to deal drugs.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:07 am
dsth
I had Monday off work, so decided to check local job centre.

There was a couple of jobs in my field, the one company agreed too see me that day and after an hour talking to them and completing an aptitude test, they offered me a job, I am just working my notice at my old job in order to receive the money I'm owed.

The new place looks like a much more professional company, hey, they can't be any worse than where I am now.

I will approach the new job with new eyes and much more enthusiasm, first day tomorrow, so will let you all know what happens.

All of your comments and advice were appreciatively received and I probably would still be in the same position now if it was not for all your comments.

Hopefully I can soon change the name of this post to WHO LOVES THEIR JOB.

Wouldn't that be something eh!

Don't agree with drug dealing at all, scurge of society, who prey on the weak.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
Re: dsth
Les Paul wrote:
Don't agree with drug dealing at all, scurge of society, who prey on the weak.

Interesting opinion. I would argue that drugs build our children's confidence, teach them creativity, and give them strong teeth and bones.

Congrats on the new job!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:13 am
Gargamel wrote:
So it's been a year out of school and in my first full time office job. The mediocrity is burning my soul. I thought it would be nice to have money. But I was a lot happier being poor and somewhat free.

So, this is where you can take the experience you have in this job and begin to look for one less mediocre and more creative. Being in an existing job is a better place to find the next one. Much of the journey towards finding the 'ultimate' job begins with gaining experience, building resources and references, and then using those as stepping stones to the next level. You don't need to stay in mediocrity. Once you have food on the table and a roof over your head, you can look for greater challenges and opportunities.

I doubt many people find themselves in jobs that offer a lifetime of reward and appropriate challenges straight out of school. It's been about a year -- you've shown commitment and aptitude. Hopefully, you've also gained some skills you didn't already have. They all become part of the bundle you bring to the next job. There's no telling how long the next job will be satisfying. Maybe it will be longer or maybe it isn't a good fit from the outset, but eventually you will move on again. The cycle can repeat itself over and over, bringing greater personal satisfaction along the way (expect a few setbacks as well). Sounds like it may be time for the pitcher to find a new employer.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:16 am
yi
Gargamel:

I doubt that you believe that but thanks for the congratulations.

Even pot leads to paranoia, low self esteem and the irritating urge to munch.

Fair play to ya pal.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:23 am
yr
JPB:

Very, very wise words, you are absolutely correct.

You are clearly an experienced person yourself and the advice that you give to Gargamel is very constructive and you have obviously followed this path yourself.

Fair play to you for taking the subject seriously, as there are people out there struggling for answers and who knows, maybe this will help them find there way.

Well done mate.
Les Paul.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:45 am
Les Paul wrote:

Quote:
job centre

It's Jobcentre Plus now...

I work in one. Had a very hard day.

All good wishes for your new job though.

x
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:52 am
JPB wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

So, this is where you can take the experience you have in this job and begin to look for one less mediocre and more creative. Being in an existing job is a better place to find the next one. Much of the journey towards finding the 'ultimate' job begins with gaining experience, building resources and references, and then using those as stepping stones to the next level. You don't need to stay in mediocrity. Once you have food on the table and a roof over your head, you can look for greater challenges and opportunities.

I doubt many people find themselves in jobs that offer a lifetime of reward and appropriate challenges straight out of school. It's been about a year -- you've shown commitment and aptitude. Hopefully, you've also gained some skills you didn't already have. They all become part of the bundle you bring to the next job. There's no telling how long the next job will be satisfying. Maybe it will be longer or maybe it isn't a good fit from the outset, but eventually you will move on again. The cycle can repeat itself over and over, bringing greater personal satisfaction along the way (expect a few setbacks as well). Sounds like it may be time for the pitcher to find a new employer.

Thank you for the optimism and positivity. Complaining doesn't do much, that's for sure.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:14 pm
Thank you, Les Paul, and good luck to you in your new endeavors.

G -- No, it sure doesn't, but crying in your beer can be therapeutic. We haven't taken you out and gotten you drunk in ages. Last time was.... hmmmm, it was about a year ago for Sublime's birthday. We're way past due. If I can't shake him out for lunch, maybe I can entice him to come play show 'n tell sometime soon.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:49 am
uk
Sorry, jobcentre plus.

Never really been into one until now.

Hopefully never going to have to again.
I felt like telling everyone there that I wasn't a dole dosser, fortunately I was well dressed unlike a lot of them. LOL.

Les Paul.
0 Replies