Who Hates Their Job

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:50 pm
I Hate My Job Tell Me Why you Hate Yours.

I am a skilled worker who does twice as much as my counterparts, the only problem is, I work for an old cantancerous misery of a man, who never recognises the hard work that you do.

If I'm a minute late or a little hung over, he is a complete and utter nightmare, regardless of the hard work I always do.

Anyone else a little disgruntled at work.

Les Paul.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,956 • Replies: 39
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:20 pm
I hate my job too, with a passion! I'm poorly paid, abused by customers and management sometimes. I have days when Im on edge, stressed and frightened for hours, all for £17.000 a year. I regularly cry at work (quite a few of us do). I LOATHE my job.

But it pays the bills, keeps my head above water, but probably shortens my life the more I stay in it.

Sometimes, I get the urge just to shout at the top of my voice "I'M LEAVING THIS JOB, BECAUSE I JUST CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE!" and then 'handbag it' = Flee the building.

Before you ask... I'm looking for another.

x
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:25 pm
gghi
Fair play.

In my experience, every employer is the same...........

I hope you find your dream job and if you don't, just remember the courage it takes to do the one thing you hate everyday in the name of responsibiliy.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:09 pm
You get up every morning
From your alarm clock's warning
Take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above
And people pushin', people shovin'
And the girls who try to look pretty
And if your train's on time
You can get to work by nine
And start your slaving job to get your pay
If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be...
Taking care of business every day
Taking care of business every way
I've been taking care of business, it's all mine
Taking care of business and working overtime
Work out
If it were easy as fishin'
You could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Get a second-hand guitar
Chances are you'll go far
If you get in with the right bunch of fellows
People see you having fun
Just a-lying in the sun
Tell them that you like it this way
It's the work that we avoid
And we're all self-employed
We love to work at nothing all day
And we be...
Take good care of my business
When I'm away, every day whoo!
You get up every morning
From your alarm clock's warning
Take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above
And people pushin', people shovin'
And the girls who try to look pretty
And if your train's on time
You can get to work by nine
And start your slaving job to get your pay
If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed
I love to work at nothing all day
And I'll be...
Takin' care of business
Takin' care of business
Takin' care of business
Takin' care of business
Takin' care of business.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:21 pm
Kickycan hates his job.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:21 pm
48op
Not sure what that song is BiPolar Bear..... but it makes the point sure enough.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:27 pm
I'll argue with 'every employer is the same' and substitute 'many employers are'.

I've had amazingly horrible employers and wonderful ones, and the odd in-between.

Cha cha cha changes....
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:46 pm
gfv
Ossobuko has got a point.

Do you think that maybe there are bad employers (which there cleary has to be, in order for good ones to exist), it' called balance.

I think the problem is actually finding a good employer, who cares equally about investing in their work force as they do about turning a profit.

Good luck in finding one, because in the past, I have thought I've found that...................... but alas NO, there interest was with themselves and the second I'd served their purpose, it all changed.

Self employment is the way.

UP THE SELF EMPLOYMENT.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:51 pm
Oh yeah.

I've had more bad employees than bad employers, probably.

Currently, I'm a lucky duck who likes her one paid job (the pay is a pittance, but it's pay), and likes the 2-3 volunteer jobs too (no pay, but fun jobs). I'm not sure which category the stay-at-home mom job is in -- if you ascribe to the "a penny saved is a penny earned" theory, then I guess you'd call it paid (since we've saved a lot on childcare costs). That last job is my favorite. :-)
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:59 pm
gt
The most worthy job of all, NO PAY BUT HUGE REWARDS, being a Mother or a Father.
A very noble sacrifice of ones own freedome.

A sacrifice which is guarenteed to make your life worth while.

You don't require pay for this, therefore, can we really count it as a job.

HATS OFF TO PARANTS.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:59 pm
gt
The most worthy job of all, NO PAY BUT HUGE REWARDS, being a Mother or a Father.
A very noble sacrifice of ones own freedome.

A sacrifice which is guarenteed to make your life worth while.

You don't require pay for this, therefore, can we really count it as a job.

HATS OFF TO PARANTS.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Kickycan hates his job.

Correction: Kickycan "hated" his job. Now I don't stay long enough anywhere to get to that point. Now I only start to get annoyed for a while and then go get another job. Much better this way. I recommend it highly.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:41 pm
Les, it doesn't sound so much that you hate your job as much as you don't feel appreciated. Maybe you just need to switch companies. Life is too short to be miserable with what you do most days. For inspiration you should read the book "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez . The financial advice is outdated, but the philosophy is still good.

I'm one of those people who is self employed and you still have to deal with sh*t. In America, if you are self-employed, you often can't afford health care and the paperwork to run a business keeps you working 15 hours a day and often weekends. Plus, as Sozobe touched on - bad employees can be a nightmare in terms of time and money. There just ain't no job Utopia.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:49 am
56ui
Green Witch, you make very sensible and valid points.

I do feel unappreciated at work, my job isn't poorly paid, I do ok, all I would like is to know that when I push really hard for the companys sake.

1. Just to hear the word thank you would be enough for me to think, I'm glad that I did that.

2. Not to be expected to do the impossible every time just because I do when the pressure is on.

I can't stand life without working, as it drives me up the wall with boredem.

Here in England, the government are very supportive of the self employed and new small businesses, offering tax relief etc for your first five years.
Also National Insurance covers every one from the unemployed to the man who drips money, we are all entitled to free healthcare.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:21 am
I only ever had one really bad boss -- my first job out of college many, many years ago. She was a psychotic, pill-popping lab manager married to the hospital pharmacist in a small community hospital. I lasted a year and booked it out of there.

Since then I've been both an employee and employer in what has turned out to be very long-term gigs. I discovered early on that people do a better job if they are 1) appreciated, 2) enjoy a pleasant work environment, and 3) are adequately compensated -- probably in that order. Most of my employees have been with me for more than 10 years. A recent hire tells me this is the best job she's ever had. I agree with osso... there are plenty good employers out there. Finding an opening in one of them may be troublesome as there tends to be very little turnover.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:33 am
I have yet to have a bad boss. I guess I was very lucky, but of my two long term bosses, both were great. My current one has some quirks, but he generally deeply cares about his people, makes sure we are doing well, and is appreciative. It does make all the difference, especially if you work in non-profit as I do, where you, well, don't work for profit as much as for a cause.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 02:33 pm
uii
Here is an example of not giving two hoots for your workforce:

We were all at work the other week, doing our jobs, in the office, the floor, basically everyone was doing their jobs and then.............

The main man comes over and says.

I can't believe I've got to say this to you all.............

The first thought in my head was...........

Well don,t say it then, knowing the man, it can only be bad for us but not affect him....... He then goes on to say............

You can't listen to radio at work anymore during work.

Now I must explain that for some of the more menial workers, the radio is the one thing that gets them through their day.

In the U.K. if you listen to the radio in a public place ie, WORK.

It is considered to be a public performance and in order to ensure that the recording artists get their royalties, you need a lisence, costing one hundred pounds per year (different currencies allowing), I think that you'll all agree that is not a large amount per year in order to ensure the sanity of your workforce.

We are after all the backbone of any industry and without a good workforce no company can survive.

In short in order to save a measley amount, he will risk losing good workers, which in turn puts their livelyhood at risk.

And when all you've ever done is work hard, do you really deserve to have your own future so firmly in a selfish mans hands.

Les Paul.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 03:03 pm
I absolutely hated my job. That's right, past tense. Took early retirement at the end of August, and I've never felt better.

Goodbye stomach ulcer.
Goodbye sleeping pills.
Goodbye high blood pressure.

I'm on top of the World.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 03:28 pm
I've been pissing and moaning about my job for years. The stress is absolutely killing me and the long hours (expected of me) and the workload is unfairly shared among the people in my department (for the simple reason that some of the people are crap and others, in which I include myself, are good workers who get ALL the work piled on them). I have been quite verbal in my unhappiness and I get pandered to for a week or two, or some dollars shoved at me, and then it's all back to normal. Anyway, I made a decision recently, and I am done.

I have started the job-search task and will look for something less stressful that will give me time for a personal life!

The only thing that bothers me is I love my boss. He is the only reason why I am still here. He tries his very best to make me happy and I know he will be absolutely devastated when I leave but I just cannot hang on and suffer any more. I have to get out.

Having made the mental decision, I already feel so much better. Now I'll take my time and scout around for something that will make me at least a smidge happier (less hours, less stress). I know there will always be something about a job that gets my goat, but I have reached the limit with this one and I'm ready to move on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 03:45 pm
I made some of those decisions. I was asked to be manager of what is a biggie laboratory, internationally, back in its beginning stages. Reasonably, given who I am, I'd never have ended that high up, as administration never excited me... research did. Past that, I was asked first, I said no, because I didn't want to get involved with the boss's mishagas. (Kind, rage, kind, rage). Worked out for both of us - the lab is well regarded and I don't have to worry about all that. I left to go on to other interests, both friendly.
It still amuses me that I was person 2 in this giant lab. And I still wonder what happened with person 1.

What? I dunno. You aren't simply that person in plastic wrap.
0 Replies