meaning of sentence

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:26 pm
The word 'Tom' should be capitalised as it is the name of a person.

The first letter of 'T' in 'Tom' should be capitalised as it is the name of a person.

Does the first sentence have the same meaning as the second? I think so.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 402 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:33 pm
Re: meaning of sentence
Yoong Liat wrote:

The first letter of 'T' in 'Tom' should be capitalised as it is the name of a person.

Many thanks.

The first letter (of 'T') in 'Tom' should be capitalised as it is the name of a person.

The bracketed words in the second sentence are unnecessary.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:44 pm
Re: meaning of sentence
dadpad wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

The first letter (of 'T') in 'Tom' should be capitalised as it is the name of a person.

The bracketed words in the second sentence are unnecessary.

Thanks for the correction.

Can I conclude that the first sentence means all the letters in 'Tom' should be capitalised. Hence. it would become TOM.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:53 pm
That is certainly possible. The second sentence removes all doubt, though I doubt anyone would misunderstand the first.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:56 pm
If you are not used to English then the first sentence could mean all letters capitalised.

I did not read it as such because I knew capitalising each letter to be incorrect.

The second sentence explains the concept of capitalising names in a clear manner.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:01 pm
I think Roger has the point. I notice native speakers use the first sentence to mean the first letter has to be capitalised. However, technically, I believe it is not correct.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 06:47 am
The root meaning of "capitol" is "head". Consequently "capitalized" means "use upper case for the head letter of the word".

English, like all other languages is constructed for use by native speakers, not for learning by foreigners.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:11 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
technically, I believe it is not correct.

I wonder why ??
capitalize is to write a letter of the alphabet as a capital, or to write the first letter of a word as a capital.. this is what dic says.

anyway I think that the two sentences have the same meaning but the second has more emphasis.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:14 am
The first sentence is correct. One would say "in all caps" to mean a word written like THIS.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:14 am
Noddy24 wrote:

English, like all other languages is constructed for use by native speakers, not for learning by foreigners.

but foreigners use any language it as it is constructed if they want to learn it...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:26 pm
Quote:
but foreigners use any language it as it is constructed if they want to learn it...

Of course--but they are allowed a bit of grizzling and grieving as they struggle.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:42 pm
righhhhhht !! Wink
0 Replies