Is full stop needed?

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:42 pm
"When is your baby due?".

Is a full stop necessary after the quotation marks. I don't think so, but a native speaker friend of mine says it's correct.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:44 pm
no, the period is incorrect...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
A full stop would be necessary after the quotation marks if the quotation finishes a sentence like it does in this one:

The nurse asked, "When is your baby due?".

Yoong Liat, you should give more context!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
no, the period is incorrect...

I believe your answer is according to American English rule. Any idea whether it is different in British English.

Thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:51 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Any idea whether it is different in British English.

See my answer

In the United States, "periods" (full stops) and commas go inside quotation marks regardless of logic.

In the United Kingdom, Canada, and islands under the influence of British education, punctuation around quotation marks is more apt to follow logic.

PS Yoong Liat, you omitted a question mark...
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm
There wouldn't be a period if she were pregnant...

It's a full stop!

You Americans...

Murdering the language.

:wink:

x
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Any idea whether it is different in British English.

PS Yoong Liat, you omitted a question mark...

Thanks, Contrex. I thought it was an indirect question. That's why I left out the question mark.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:35 pm
contrex wrote:
A full stop would be necessary after the quotation marks if the quotation finishes a sentence like it does in this one:

The nurse asked, "When is your baby due?".

Yoong Liat, you should give more context!

Not to ruffle any feathers, but the example I've quoted here is incorrect. For starters, periods never occur outside of quotation marks--not at the end of a sentence. Also, in this example, the question mark suffices to punctuate the end of the sentence. An additional period is unnecessary; the phrase that introduces the quotation should keep us from reading the entire sentence as a question.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 02:28 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Thanks, Contrex. I thought it was an indirect question. That's why I left out the question mark.

All questions end with question marks in English.

Indirect questions are polite, longer forms of normal questions. For example:
- Where's the department store? - Direct question
- Could you tell me where the department store is, please? - Indirect question
- What's his name? - Direct question
- Do you know what his name is? - Indirect question
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 03:25 pm
Well, I thought it was funny...

x
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 03:27 pm
You describe American English as if it were the only kind, Gargamel. My example is a correct piece of British English. Are you just being provocative?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 04:02 pm
contrex wrote:
You describe American English as if it were the only kind, Gargamel. My example is a correct piece of British English. Are you just being provocative?

I may have with this example. Would you be so kind as to direct me to a reference that describes this punctuation difference between American and British English? A link, perhaps?

And is it possible to be provocative in a discussion on mechanics, on an internet forum? I am trying to be helpful. Seriously.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:49 pm
I thought so too, smorgs.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:10 pm
Me, too, smorgs Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:18 pm
I think question marks are redundant.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:19 pm
Contrex, you're almost correct about American English. Some examples:

The nurse asked, "Where is your baby?"

The veterinarian asked me where my "baby," that is, my dog, was.

Do you ever refer to your pet as a "baby"?

I often refer to my pet as my "baby."

You're right, we're very strange about it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:06 pm
Let me add that the rule I mentioned above applies only to periods and commas. Question marks can appear outside of quotations at the end of a sentence, depending on the context.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 11:46 pm
This one works in British English (it's the only one)

Do you ever refer to your pet as a "baby"?

A reference is here

Quote:
Punctuation

The traditional convention in American English is for commas and periods to be included inside the quotation marks, even if they are not part of the quoted sentence, while the British style shows clearly whether or not the punctuation is part of the quoted phrase. The American rule is derived from typesetting while the British rule is grammatical (see below for more explanation). As with many such differences, the American rule follows an older British standard. The typesetter's rule was standard in early 19th century Britain; the grammatical rule was advocated by the extremely influential book The King's English, by Fowler and Fowler.

* "Carefree" means "free from care or anxiety." (American style)
* "Carefree" means "free from care or anxiety". (British style)
* "Hello, world," I said. (both styles)

In British style, both single and double quotation marks are possible, but more modern style guides like the BBC's tend to prefer the latter.

The American English rule is often not applied if the presence of the punctuation mark inside the quotation marks will lead to ambiguity, for example in describing commands to be typed into a computer:

In the File name text field, type "HelloWorldApp.java", including the quotation marks.

Before the advent of mechanical type, the order of quotation marks with periods and commas was not given much consideration. The printing press required that the easily damaged smallest pieces of type for the comma and period be protected behind the more robust quotation marks. The US style still adheres to this older tradition in formal writing but usually not in everyday use. Today, most areas of publication conform to one of the two standards above. However, in subjects such as chemistry and software documentation it is conventional to include only the precise quoted text within the quotation marks. This avoids ambiguity with regard to whether a punctuation mark belongs to the quotation:

Enter the URL as "www.wikipedia.org", the name as "Wikipedia", and click "OK".

The URL starts with "www.wikipedia.". This is followed by "org" or "com".

In both styles, question marks and exclamation marks are placed inside or outside quoted material on the basis of logic, but colons and semicolons are always placed outside:

Did he say, "Good morning, Dave"?
No, he said, "Where are you, Dave?"

In the first two sentences above, only one punctuation mark is used at the end of each. Regardless of its placement, only one end mark (?, !, or .) can end a sentence in American English.

References: Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition; Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at the University Press, Oxford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:04 am
Thanks guys!

(smorgs once again sneaks away, to seek solace on the less grammatically correct Brit Thread). <--- should the 'period' (snigger) be inside or outside the brackets?

x
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:12 am
Thanks, contrex.
0 Replies