Fair And Balanced??????????????????

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:16 am
These women are facing twenty years max...which you know won't happen....but our prisons are full of people doing life without parole for a few tabs of x or acid and a gram of cocaine......

This is an outrage.....and the crime is an outrage.....unless of course we happened to bomb and destroy an ENTIRE old folks home in say Baghdad ...then it would be an unfortunate but unavoidable casualty in the war on terrorism...war is messy business right Donny?

This particular incident is so fvcked up on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin.... Shocked Confused Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 982 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:25 am
Hi, Bi, Would you provide a link to the incident?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:31 am
yeah - huh?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:33 am
http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0803/97994.html I'm

sorry...you know these brain damaged rock musician types...and I wasn't that bright to start with.... Drunk
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:43 am
Well, if your system puts people in prison for life for a few tabs of acid, or whatever, then that is seriously fucked indeed - whatever sentence these two women get. Assault is generally more serious when one is in a position of duty of care to the person assaulted, so I would guess this crime will be treated pretty seriously, if the two are convicted.

Sadly, this sort of crap will happen wherever people have power over others, since some people act badly in such situations. (That is why I do not think clergy and other church workers are generally worse than other people - they just get placed in powerful positions vis a vis a lot of vulnerable people...)

I would hope the staff culture - and the level of staff burnout and stres - are carefull loooked at, as well as the two individuals prosecuted.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:44 am
Well, Bi. I agree with you on the inequities in our penal system, but I feel that I should point out that if the elderly lady dies, these two women who beat her will be charged with premeditated murder. In addition, the entire facility will probably be sued regardless.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 08:56 am
Beat her up with brass knuckles, indeed!!!

The woman was "being disrespectful."

The god of the Bible tells us how to deal with people who are disrespectful (actually this deals with children who are being disrespectful, but very old people could be considered to be childlike!):

At Deuteronomy 22:18, the god of the Bible tells Moses:
Quote:

"If a man has a stubborn and unruly son who will not listen to
his father or mother, and will not obey them even though they
chastise him, his father and mother shall have him apprehended
and brought out to the elders at the gate of his home city, where
...his fellow citizens shall stone him to death."

Hah!

That puts the brass knuckle sandwich in a reasonable perspective.

The nurses should not be put in prision. They should be chastised for being too lenient.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:31 am
The prospect of a sagging-pants, pierced-lip, pierced-nose, pierced eyebrow, pierced-nipple, pierced-_________ serving me pureed peas and pushing my wheelchair in my old age makes ME want to be stoned at the city gates.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:31 am
Sheeeeeeeeze, Frank Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:39 am
BTW I hope no one thinks my post is minimizing what happened to this poor elderly woman in any way.....I think these women should have the **** beat out of them in the town square...If she lives.... death penalty otherwise.....I hate bullies worse than anything on earth.....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:47 am
No one thinks that, Bi. We all know that rock musicians ain't all bad. Cool

Whooda, the thought of anyone pushin me around in a wheelchair, pierced whatevers, gives me the grrrrrrrr's.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2003 09:47 am
I think BPB's point is the disparity between the crime and the sentence. Assault is a very old and familiar problem and is viewed differently than drugs which is basically a means of escaping the depressing reality of our current culture. The later is the subject of the hysteria of those who both benefit from the present situation and fear those who are so despaired they feel they must escape. There is a trend in this country towards thought control. You must not question or despair of the world as it is, you must simply put up with it, like it or not.
0 Replies