relationship virgin seeks advice on long-distance contact

agrote

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 03:12 pm
Hi,

This is kind of a long story, but I'll cut it short to begin with. I went on one date with this girl last winter, and nothing came of it, but we did stay in touch. Recently, we've been exchanging messages on facebook.com, and her responses have become increasingly quick, elaborate and frequent, and possibly a bit flirtatious. Yesterday she left 7 brief messages on my 'wall', all at once. This, and the fact that she ends most messages with a couple of x's, has led me to believe that she might still be interested, but I'm not entirely sure. How can I know? And if she is... what should I do?

I'm 21 (as is she) and have never been in a relationship before, for various reasons, so I'm very inexperienced and I don't quite know what the hell I'm doing. I don't know for sure, but I get the impression that she might be as inexperienced as I am. She's a shy sort. So I don't really know how to go about this. I was thinking of saying something along the lines of, "I still really like you, can we meet up?" But I don't know if that's a good idea.

One problem is that we no longer live in the same city. We met when we were both students at the same university, but she's now moved back to her hometown and is working there, while I've stayed on to do a postgraduate course. So it's not a simple matter of going to the pub for a drink... if I want to see her again, one of us will have to commute (3 hours by train).

Another problem is that after our first date (which didn't go brilliantly... we were both a bit too shy and there were a few awkward pauses), I had no luck in persuading her to go on another one. Now this might have been because she'd lost interest, but I'm not sure that it was. Her reasons for not going out with me again were always to do with work; she always had an exam or an essay deadline coming up, and no time to see me. Maybe she was making excuses because she didn't want to see me, but her friend tells me that she is a bit of a swot, so it's plausible that she actually did just want to devote herself to studying. There's reason to believe that she still liked me, because she would send me text messages out of the blue, and she was always receptive when I texted her. And now, of course, the facebook thing is happening.

Anyway, she's funny, smart and beautiful, and these oppurtunities (if this is an oppurtunity) very rarely happen for me, so I don't want to waste this. What should I do? Help...

Ben
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 738 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 07:50 pm
Pick a Saturday.
Get on the train.
Arrive mid-afternoon.
Take her to some place for an early dinner.
Talk.
Have some dessert.
Talk.
Talk some more.

(Have two return times in mind. Pick early one or Pick late one.

Joe(the talk will decide which one.)Nation
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 01:39 am
I don't know where she lives.... I can't just turn up. I'd have to actually ask her out for dinner, and I wouldn't be surprised if she said no based purely on the fact that I'd have to travel there.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 04:15 am
Hmmm. How could you find out if she would go out to dinner with you?

Hmmm.

Puzzle.

Oo, I know.

If you want to go to dinner with her, ask her if she knows a place for dinner and would she like to go there with you.
Very Happy
Joe(That would be one way. And you are right, you cannot just show up.)Nation
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 04:52 am
I could do that, yeah. I'll need a fair amount of encouragement, I think... I'm quite scared of rejection. I'll see if I can get one of my friends to blackmail me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 06:19 am
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 04:37 am
Quite scared of rejection is not usually a better feeling than not knowing.

Um. How do I put this?

Risk is the only thing that makes life real.

And I have never heard a happy person say:

"I am so glad I never called her."

Joe(I'm going to write something on the train about this this morning.)Nation
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 05:28 am
Yeah, you're both right. I have acted now, but I'm being very cautious 'cause I don't want to **** it up. I just asked her if she's planning to visit here at any point (her old housemates still live in my town, so she might be planning a visit), because "it would be really nice to see you xx"

Depending on how she responds, I might suggest going up to visit her, but I think a meal might scare her. Coffee would be good, but it's a long train ride jsut for coffee. We'll see...

Thanks for the encouragement.
0 Replies