better sentence

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
We have achieved mastery of the English language.
We have mastered the English language.

I feel sentence 2 is a better sentence. Am I right? Or do the sentences have different meanings?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 398 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:34 am
The sentences have the same meaning. I agree that sentence 2 is better, since it is less "wordy".

However, this is just our opinion. There is no authority to which anyone can appeal for a ruling.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 10:40 am
You're right. We need no authority to confirm, I think.

If you think it is so, and I agree, then it should be the case.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:22 pm
better sentence
I agree, the second is preferable. However, both are correct, though the first is more formal, even a bit pompous.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:35 am
Hi Contrex, Tomkitten thinks the same as we do.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:27 am
In general, the most economical way of expressing an idea is to be preferred. Sometimes, for reasons of grammar or syntax, it is obvious that one given sentence is preferable to another. Sometimes it is not so clear. Sometimes asking which sentence is "better" is like asking "which painting is better?" or "which tune is better?".
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 07:33 am
Hi Contex

What do 'syntax' and 'semantics' mean? I've referred to my dictionaries, but I'm still not clear about the meanings.

I hope you will me understand the two terms.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:12 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
What do 'syntax' and 'semantics' mean?

Briefly put, in linguistics, syntax is the study of the rules that govern the structure of sentences, and which determine their relative grammaticality.

The term syntax can also be used to refer to these rules themselves, as in "the syntax of a language". Modern research in syntax attempts to describe languages in terms of such rules, and, for many practitioners, to find general rules that apply to all languages. Since the field of syntax attempts to explain grammaticality judgments, and not provide them, it is unconcerned with linguistic prescription.

Semantics refers to aspects of meaning, as expressed in language or other systems of signs. Semantics contrasts with syntax, which is the study of the structure of sign systems (focusing on the form, not meaning). By the usual convention that calls a study or a theory by the name of its subject matter, semantics may also denote the theoretical study of meaning in systems of signs.
0 Replies