Be Sure to Get Your Flu Shot

Chai

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:59 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Question: do you ever need the same flu shot twice? I understand that new viruses are found each year so the flu shot I get this year will be different from the one I would get next year. But say there were no changes to the vaccine, should one still get it? Or does it work for life for those particular strands of the flu virus that were in the flu shot?

The vaccine is different every single year I believe.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:14 am
My son's girlfriend had the flu (or flu-like symptoms) last week. Since my son has Crohn's, his immune system is surpressed so he is susceptible to every germ floating by.
Yesterday I called the dr to set up a time for us to get flu shots and they said they weren't doing it til next month!

Great. Just great.
I have to find someone who is doing it now!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:33 am
It's still unclear why influenza appears easonally only namely in winter - but that doesn't change the fact.

And thus we've not got two different Influenza saison [in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere] but this is why there are two different vaccine formulations every year: one for the Northern, and one for the Southern Hemisphere.

There's no vaccination against cold ('flu-like infects').
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:38 am
Walter - Not one sickness (or even a headcold!) in my house all summer. As soon as the kids are back in school, enclosed, in close proximity to each other, touching each other's stuff, breathing on each other's food at lunch....that's when it all starts.
It all has to do with people being in closed, close quarters.
The schools don't even have windows that open anymore!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:41 am
JLNobody wrote:
I thought the flu season begins in late October. Maybe it varies with region and weather. Don't know. Anybody?

I think that it begins around October, but is in full force during the winter. I believe that the reason they start the shots in September, is that the body needs time to make antibodies, in time for the flu season.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Quote:
October or November is the best time to get vaccinated, but you can still get vaccinated in December and later. Flu season can begin as early as October and last as late as May.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 07:00 am
Walter, this is just my opinion, but I believe flu spreads more in the winter months because of people being togehter indoors more often, due to the weather. More chance of cross contamination.

If anyone is planning on getting a flu shot, remember, it doesn't take effect in your body immediately.

If days several days/a couple of weeks for it to be of benefit.

In any event, precautions, most importantly good hand washing technique, should be employed year round. Especially in public restrooms.

After washing your hands with hot soapy water, turn off the faucets with a paper towel. Do not use that same paper towel to dry your hands. Then, use the towel to open the door to leave the restroom.

No sense going to all the trouble of washing and drying properly, if you're just going to touch a germ ridden door handle....then KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR MOUTH!!!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 02:00 pm
Chai, that's exactly what I do, almost compulsively ("After washing your hands with hot soapy water, turn off the faucets with a paper towel. Do not use that same paper towel to dry your hands. Then, use the towel to open the door to leave the restroom").
Then I do something else equally compulsively: I shake hands with everyone.
Confused

Thanks, Phoenix
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 02:12 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Chai, that's exactly what I do, almost compulsively ("After washing your hands with hot soapy water, turn off the faucets with a paper towel. Do not use that same paper towel to dry your hands. Then, use the towel to open the door to leave the restroom").
Then I do something else equally compulsively: I shake hands with everyone.
Confused

Thanks, Phoenix

Well, I don't then shake everyone's hand, but I do go up and lick everyone's computer keyboard.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:19 pm
How kinky! Almost as intimate as cybersex itself.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
And don't sneeze into your hands, for chrissake. (Sneeze into somebody else's.)

Never had a flu shot, get the flu maybe once every five years. I do have some sort of stress/sleep-deprivation-related bronchial bug that flares up from time to time, but it ain't the flu.

No plans to get the flu shot myself. Am a strong believer that vaccines should go to those who need it, and that, in a healthy individual, nothing builds immunity like natural infection.

And, yes, it is a new vaccine every year. Since a lot of the new strains come from Asia, I wonder how much the seasonality of flu in North America/Europe has to do with our temperate seasons versus rainy/dry season cycles in Asia itself...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:20 pm
i like the new types of faucets that turn on and off automatically : no need to touch the faucet ... and it also stops water being wasted !
and doors that open to the outside are also a good idea - no need to touch a handle - a good kick will do !
many of the new bathrooms along major highway service stations don't even have main doors any more , just a sort of zig-zig entrance - makes sense to me .
hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 05:41 am
Yeah, I don't know why they don't make all rest room doors like in office buildings and stores just push to get out.

Doesn't seem like rocket science.

The zig zag doors at airports and rest stops are a good idea too.

One thing about sinks...I've noticed in a few places, like Lowes, they have automatic water, but the sink itself is just some kind of shallow trough.

I wish they would lower those sinks a few inches, so you don't have to be careful not to touch the bottom of the sink.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 07:27 pm
of course , not all people like to do that make sense .
at our munipal pool there is a BIB sign at the entrance-door to the pool - exit from change/shower room :
ALL BATHERS MUST SHOWER WITH SOAP AND WATER ... etc

when we leave at 9 a.m. , the senior fitness clases start .
what do many seniors do ? you guessed it , they see the sign and march right in WITHOUT taking a shower !
so what do you do with these people ?
when the school kids come for the afternoon swim , a teacher makes sure they take a shower - they seem to like it anyhow - squirting each other with the water , running in and out of the shower ; they are fun to have around .
i guess we need a supervisor for the seniors !!!
hbg
0 Replies