meaning of sentence

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:48 pm
The dinner guests, mostly school teachers, were seated around the table.

One man decided to talk about education. He said, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who has decided to become a teacher. It's true what they say about them. Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach."

What does the last sentence mean?

Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 527 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:58 pm
Re: meaning of sentence
Yoong Liat wrote:
The dinner guests, mostly school teachers, were seated around the table.

One man decided to talk about education. He said, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who has decided to become a teacher. It's true what they say about them. Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach."

What does the last sentence mean?

Thank you very much.

That's a very old saw, yoong liat. It means that people who are talented or skilled enough to be such things as architects, designers, engineers, etc, are those things. People without the talent or skill, teach those subjects. The meaning can be expanded to cover elementary and secondary education. People who have talent or skills to take up a particular profession follow that calling. Those who don't have such talent or skills, teach.

I think this more or less sums it up. I'm not sure that I agree with the premise, but I hope you now understand what the saying means.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:02 pm
The idea is that some people can get the training but they aren't able to do the job. Since they have the training they often have the qualifications to teach and that ends up being the only place where they can get hired.

Thnk of it this way:

John goes to University and gets his degree in Accounting.

John applies for jobs after he gets his degree and gets one working in the accounting department at a company.

But John is terrible at his job and doesn't get along with any of his co-workers so he quits that job and works at some other company. That ends the same way.

After a while John will get a bad repuattion in the industry and people won't hire him.

So since John can't get a job in the industry but he does have the education, he gets a job teaching other people how to do accounting.

John can't do the accounting job so he teaches others how to do it instead.

The phrase is usually used as a way to tease people who are teachers but most of them don't take it very kindly! Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:15 pm
Nor do consultants take kindly to "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, consult."
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 08:37 am
Thanks, guys, for the detailed replies.

All the best.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:03 pm
Teaching is the job for whom don't have a job.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:27 pm
navigator wrote:
Teaching is the job for whom don't have a job.

Navigator, Your sentence is incomplete and doesn't make sense. Did you mean to say that teaching is a job for people who don't have another job?
0 Replies