Will the internet have campaign advertisements?

Foofie

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:44 pm
As elections near we see on tv many campaign commercials. Will we also see this on the internet? I'm not talking about bloggers that back one candidate or another. I mean campaign commercials that attempt to sway our vote, just like the tv kind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 650 • Replies: 8
No top replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:38 pm
i've seen some on youtube

just go to youtube and type in barack obama, I think he is a pretty avid 'net campaigner, regardless of his political stance
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:19 am
averner wrote:
i've seen some on youtube

just go to youtube and type in barack obama, I think he is a pretty avid 'net campaigner, regardless of his political stance

I don't watch the You Tube stuff.

I actually meant internet advertisements that we see on the side of our screens, regardless of whether or not we want to view them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:29 am
Foofie wrote:
I actually meant internet advertisements that we see on the side of our screens, regardless of whether or not we want to view them.

I suppose that such depends on what sites you visit and in what stuff you're interested.

In 2004, the internet saw 0.9% of political spending, up from 0.1% in 2000. So I think, it will be up even more this time.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 08:03 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foofie wrote:

I suppose that such depends on what sites you visit and in what stuff you're interested.

In 2004, the internet saw 0.9% of political spending, up from 0.1% in 2000. So I think, it will be up even more this time.

Wunderbar!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 03:26 pm
Legalized lying
"you can tell the IDEALS of a NATION by its advertisements"-
Norman Douglas
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:57 am
The trouble with internet advertising and allocating campaign dollars is that it is difficult to target the specific audience. It's much easier to target primary voters, I have seen ads for Hillary and Obama at Dem blogger sites (before I downloaded a plug-in to block out ads) than general election voters. For instance, it would be a huge waste of money for the Dem candidate to advertise at A2K as maybe less than 1% of the visitors here are undecided voters in battleground states. OTOH there are other avenues, for instance advertising in the El Nuevo Herald online to reach spanish-speaking voters in Miami.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 02:42 pm
So, a2k.org has political advertising now. Yee-haw!
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
I hope not. I turn to the internet to afford me the opportunity to evade commercials (of any type) that I am constantly bombarded with on TV.

On the other hand, it might well be that the contenders for access to the nation's coffers might forego ads on the internet under the premise that anyone bright enough to operate a computer just might be able to pierce the political hoopla (and sheer drivel) presented in 30 second sound bites.

Halfback
0 Replies