Buzz Aldrin - Space Nut

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:05 pm
Has he gone nuts??

Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm US/Eastern

Aldrin: Nowak Should Be Admired

(AP) NEW YORK Astronaut Buzz Aldrin said a former astronaut charged with attempted kidnapping should be "admired" - but not excused - for her resolve in allegedly confronting a romantic rival, according to a published report.

Lisa Nowak was arrested in February after police said the married mother of three had driven nearly 1,000 miles to Orlando, Florida.

"Astronauts are not superhuman. They lead ordinary lives and have varied personalities," Aldrin, the second man to step on the moon, said in comments published on Time magazine's Web site.

"I think Nowak should be admired for traveling across the country at night and not getting out of her car to put in gas or go to the restroom. It is not excusable, but it is understandable for an achiever to fall into a trap."

Police said Nowak used diapers during the trip to avoid making stops. Her lawyer disputes that she wore diapers, calling that "the biggest lie in this preposterous tale." The defense also says Nowak did not drive nonstop.

Nowak, 44, pleaded not guilty to attempted kidnapping, battery and burglary with assault. She is pursuing a temporary insanity defense, according to court documents.

Aldrin said he became depressed and had problems with alcohol after returning to Earth. He has spoken of the difficulties of astronauts readjusting to life outside the space program.

"Returning to Earth was challenging for me," he said in response to a question submitted by a Time reader. "I was a celebrity on a pedestal, and I had to live up to that. Like actors and writers who are on and off again in terms of employment, I had a very unstructured life. So the alcoholism and depression, which I inherited, were ripe to flourish."

(© 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 664 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:36 am
Poor Buzz, destined to always be known as second banana.

So now he may be second bananas.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:02 am
oh, that was a good one! Laughing

damn, why didn't I think of that!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:42 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:11 am
This is the "thinking of the in group as semi-divine" that got the Catholic Church in trouble recently.

On the other hand:

Quote:
Frankie and Johnnie were lovers
Lordy how they did love
They swore to be true to each other
Just as true as the stars above
He was her man but he's doing ger wrong

Frankie she was a good woman
Just as every one knows
She gave her man a hundred dollars
Just to buy him a new suit of clothes
He was her man but he done her wrong