Bush so drunk doesn't know what country he's in

Zippo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:21 pm
Bush so drunk doesn't know what country he's in

Dazed Bush forgets what country he's in, what summit he's at
09/07/2007 @ 8:40 am
Filed by David Edwards and Nick Juliano

President Bush's trademark struggles with the finer points of public speaking were on full display Friday, when he thanked his "Austrian" hosts for inviting him to this year's "OPEC" summit.

The "Language Mangler-in-Chief" was in Australia attending the APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) summit. Along with misidentifying his host country and the name of the summit, Bush struggled to leave the lectern, trying to exit the stage the wrong way.

"Thank you for being such a fine host of the OPEC summit," Bush said to Australian prime minister John Howard. He quickly corrected himself, "APEC summit," and joked Howard "invited me to the OPEC summit next year. (Such an invitation would be impossible because neither the US or Australia are members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.)

Later in the speech, Bush can clearly be heard on tape thanking Howard for visiting "Austrian troops" in Iraq last year, but White House scrubbers fixed that gaffe for him, changing the official government transcript to "Australian," the Associated Press reported.

As Reuters notes, "There are, in fact, no Austrian troops there. But Australia has about 1,500 Australian military personnel in and around" Iraq.

Bush's struggles from the lectern didn't end when he stopped talking either. Press reports indicate he tried to leave the stage through the wrong door, and the Australian prime minister had to point him toward the proper exit, according to the Herald Sun newspaper.

The scene was reminiscent of a 2005 Bush appearance in Beijing, when Bush was thwarted by a locked door after stepping off stage and had to be redirected.

The following video is from MSNBC's Morning Joe, broadcast on September 7.

click the link to watch the video:

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,857 • Replies: 47
No top replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:31 pm
He was having a joke and was likely knackered as well. He didn't look drunk to me and I've seen a lot of drunks. His mind is on other matters. Plenty of people have to be directed to the right door in strange surroundings. The fact that report makes a play of such a banality shows how empty it is. And flags up desperation.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 03:44 pm
spendius wrote:
He was having a joke and was likely knackered as well. He didn't look drunk to me and I've seen a lot of drunks. His mind is on other matters. Plenty of people have to be directed to the right door in strange surroundings. The fact that report makes a play of such a banality shows how empty it is. And flags up desperation.

was this a joke too?
(do you want me to post more photos from different events/functions?)

http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/raptureready/images/doctored_photo_bush_hu.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/04-mfb-5127742-bush-merkel-hoch,templateId%3DrenderScaled,property%3DBild,width%3D284-thumb.jpg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:25 pm
Zippo
Uh, the 1st picture, the shadows don't line up the way they should, which means that picture has been tampered with Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:31 pm
I don't like President Bush, at all, but am imperfect in speech and typing myself.. and can walk the wrong way easily. I'd rather see him pilloried for his policies.

However, this report may corroborate the thread link -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070907/bush-bad-day-at-theater/

Drunk, where do you get that assertion?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:34 pm
i'm pretty sure miss carolina summed up why bush doesn't know what country he's in

Miss South Carolina: I personally believe that, U.S. Americans are unable to do so, because some… people out there in our nation that don't have maps, and I believe that our education, like such, as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our education over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:22 pm
Right on dj. We do need to build up the future. We love our kids don't we?

Apart from liberals I mean. They just love themselves.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:26 pm
I'm pretty sure he was drunk, he said when Iraq was briefly mentioned that 'we're kicking ass'.

Excerpt:

"We're kicking ass," he told Mark Vaile on the tarmac after the Deputy Prime Minister inquired politely of the President's stopover in Iraq en route to Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/by-george-now-its-all-the-way-with-howard-j/2007/09/05/1188783320123.html
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:30 pm
Having spent almost six months in recovery from alcohol (mostly) I can spot an active drunk in a NY minute and this clown is an active drunk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:36 pm
I don't doubt it really, and my distaste for the man together with his policies is endless, but we don't know that drunk is true in this exact instance, yet, do we?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:38 pm
I don't think he was drunk really, it's just he's as incoherent either way.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:49 pm
osso wrote-

Quote:
I don't doubt it really, and my distaste for the man together with his policies is endless, but we don't know that drunk is true in this exact instance, yet, do we?

Of course we do you silly girl. If a liberal leftie says he's drunk he's at least as pissed as a fart. Everybody knows how expert liberal lefties are.

He's "incoherent" too. A liberal leftie said so and that as good as scientific proof as any peer reviewed journal ever requires.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:57 pm
Quote:
He's "incoherent" too. A liberal leftie said so and that as good as scientific proof as any peer reviewed journal ever requires.

I'm a liberal lefty! LOL! I'm sure a few here on A2K will get a kick out of that.

Seriously though, spendi, are you one of those that thinks people that disagree with Bush, Bushes war and/or pokes fun at him are all 'liberal lefties' as well as cheese eating surrender monkey's who are aiding the enemy?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:23 pm
And I'm left of liberal. For my views, look at the latest Scott Ritter article BBB posted. So what? Bush isn't too good with words, and, maybe, space, with or without booze, as I understand it.

I'll agree the episode is embarrassing re the world stage, but who remains to be surprised?

Breathilizers before speeches? But a friend might not have gotten through high school speeches... Well, it's forty years from when he was in high school and he's still not a drunk. Just scared shitless re making a speech.

Maybe Bush is breaking down, maybe not. Data on that is hard to come by from this side of the news media.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:47 pm
The gaffe would have been amusing if the clown who made it didn't have the blood of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi men, women and children on his hands.
This is the same clown who has discredited the United States and now he goes on to discredit the Presidency. Get the dangerous idiot out of Australia, we don't want him here, if fact we don't even want him in our region!
On Iraq he said, "This is the calling of our time." I say it maybe your calling, after all you destroyed the country and the infrastructure but the rest of the world is sick of guns, bombs, death and destruction if the US administration want war let them fight amongst themselves and leave the rest of the world out of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:58 pm
I really don't see him as being inebriated in that short clip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 12:42 am
I'm very aware of Bush's negatives, Anton. I just don't know that he was drunk here, at this time. Maybe, and even likely, he was. Anyone besides Zippo say so? Well, Roxxxanne did. Anyone there?

I know behavior gets covered up, and always has. I just don't like throwing mud that doesn't apply, when plenty of other mud is warranted.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:43 am
Drunk or sober he remains a fool and an embarrasment to the US.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
au1929 wrote:
Speak for yourself.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:51 am
TTH wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Speak for yourself.

From your statement I can sumise you still support the moron.
0 Replies