• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 673 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:09 pm
I snapped a bunch of pics!

First grade, that's a big deal, right? This is the first time she's been in all-day school (as opposed to half-day kindergarten). We walked our kids right up to their classes so there was a lot of different mingling -- outside beforehand, and in the halls, and then in the class itself. It's definitely a HUGE difference from the first day of kindergarten in terms of how many people we knew. Sozlet already knew half of her first grade class on the first day, I said hello to and chatted with about a gazillion people. I love that.

No tears though!

Just came home and dug in to all the work I have piled up. It'll be another couple-few weeks before I feel halfway caught up. I'm crossing things off of my to-do list faster than things are being added on, though, which is so so great.

The whole waking up early thing is going pretty well (knock on wood), sozlet loves loves loves school (especially the fact that she has RECESS now and eats lunch with her friends and has all kinds of chances to socialize), and generally the first day of school was a very, very good day. :-)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:29 pm
Oh yeah - my daughter told me she had butterflies in her tummy on the way! Excitement and a little scary.

1st grade is definately a big deal - real school now!

I have first day of Pre-School with my youngest tomorrow! It will be just an introduction day though as the parents attend as well. Then next week she will be on her own. And it is full day too! But only 3 days a week. She is very excited.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 01:32 pm
My kids took the bus on the first day. We walked to the bus stop early, hung out with other neighborhood kids and parents, talked to the bus driver when she showed up (late as always on the first day) and waved furiously to the kids. No tears. I think I made a bigger deal of it when Duckie went to kindergarten than I did with the Ducklet. I am insanely proud of both of them, though. Milestones everywhere we look and the kids just leap over them as if they were walking on air.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:15 pm
Parents were snapping away at the school I work at - even in 4th grade! I thought it was a little much. But, I'm not a parent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:29 pm
I remember crying like mad in the hallway before my first grade first class. (I skipped a goodly part of kindergarten and had no preschool.) Pooooooo me!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
My daughter switched schools, so it was the first day of school all over again. She was anxious and nervous, didn't know anybody and really wished she could have stayed at her old school.

When the door to her classroom opened, and the teacher greeted one
by one while entering the class room, we observed that the teacher was
nervous as well. It must have been his first day too, his hands were
shaking quite a bit when he gave out some paperwork. That broke the
ice for my daughter, she smiled at him sympathetically,
since she understood his trepidation all too well.

Parents were allowed to stay on for a while until they felt, their kids were
comfortable enough, and 10 minutes into the class, one by one (parents)
left.

After school when I picked up my daughter, she was all animated and
bubbly. She's made some new friends, likes all the teachers and is happy
now to be in a new school. This was a big relief for me too!

All in all, it went better than I thought. No tears on either side Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:59 pm
That's sweet Cj - glad it worked out so well.

First full day of Pre-S for my youngest today. For Pre-K you have the option of driving up to the side door where the teacher will scoop your youngster right from the car or if you work or have an older sibling you can drop them at the gym.

I have both an older child and work so it was off to the gym. Seeing she is not as shy I thought it wouldn't be an issue. However, when I was ready to leave she got nervous (no other pre-k was there) and all the other kids looked so much older - they also need to stay in there designated area by grade.

The teacher on duty said they don't like the parents staying in the gym so I talked to my daughter for a minute and made it clear what would happen and who would take her to her class (they have a student from the oldest class - 7th grade - walk the Pre-Ks to the class). I pointed the kids out and let her know that one of them would walk her. I also pointed to her sister across the gym and her boyfriend (a kindergartner friend) just a little ways away. I asked if she was o-k and she nodded bravely.

I gave her a hug and kiss and left with tears in my eyes. I can't wait to see how her day went.
0 Replies