Thompson Joins Race,

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:33 am
let's face it, the repubs offer ABSOLUTELY no candidate at all......they're vapid, empty suits with nothing but fear tactics and holier than thou positions.

In other words one of them is tailor made for the American sheeple.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
You shouldn't say that the Rep candidates don't have diverse opinions. Some are in favor of the surge in Iraq, and some are wildly in favor of othe surge.

--Leno
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:04 pm
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/7B137A3DA8-C432-4C73-82F2-43CE0CB1B.gif
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:28 pm
I saw Thompson stumping in Iowa on C-Span. I am underwhelmed. He wanders around on the grandstand looking lost, head down, not looking directly at his audience. If he can't make a better impression in appearances to follow I see this much-ballyhooed late entry dying on the vine.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 04:29 pm
Yea, but is he off this seasons Law and Order?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:58 am
maporsche wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Thompson is a pretty scummy guy. He was part of the prosecution team in Watergate. We found out from the Nixon tapes that, at the same time, he was serving as a Nixon spy.

Hilary was also part of the Watergate prosecution.
Does that make her a bad person?

The point advocate made was not that Thompson was just a part of the Watergate prosecution......but also that he SPIED to Nixon about that prosecution.

I think you may have missed that point in your zealotry to say something bad about a Clinton.

Excuse me,where in my comment did I say anything bad about Hillary?
I stated a fact and asked a question.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:37 pm
Will and Novak knocked Fred's underwhelming entry into the race. He's gained some poll numbers on Rudy but many though he would have hyped to the lead.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 09:52 am
Nixon on Thompson: 'Dumb' but 'Friendly'
Nixon on Thompson: 'Dumb' but 'Friendly'
October 09, 2007 9:06 AM
ABC Brian Ross and Avni Patel Report:

Fred Thompson has made much of his role 30 years ago as a young Senate lawyer helping to lead the investigation of the Watergate scandal and President Richard Nixon.

But a much different, less valiant picture of Thompson emerges from listening to the White House audiotapes made at the time, as President Nixon plotted strategy with his aides in the Oval Office.

Thompson's job on the Watergate committee was to lead the Republican side of the investigation. He was appointed by his mentor, Sen. Howard Baker of Tennessee, who is now co-chair of Thompson's 2008 presidential bid.

When Nixon's aide H.R.Haldeman told Nixon of Thompson's appointment, Nixon was less than impressed.

"Baker has appointed Fred Thompson as minority counsel," Haldeman is heard saying on one tape.

"Oh sh--, that kid," Nixon responds.

"I guess so," Haldeman replies.

Nixon worried that Thompson's Democratic counterpart, Sam Dash, would outsmart Thompson.

"Well, Dash is too smart for that kid," Nixon says on another tape from March 16, 1973. The existence of the tapes were publicly revealed by a question from Thompson at a Watergate hearing and led to the president's resignation. They are preserved at the National Archives in College Park, Md.

"Sure. Runs circles around him," agrees an aide, John Dean.

As the investigation picked up speed, Nixon grew increasingly concerned about whether Thompson could stand up to the Democrats.

In this May 1973 recording, he shared his concern with then-chief of staff Alexander Haig.

"He's talking to Fred Thompson. I said you're not --," Haig begins.

"Oh sh--, he's dumb as hell. Fred Thompson," Nixon interjects. "Who is he? He won't say anything."

In another conversation some weeks later, Nixon and his advisers were still describing Thompson as not very smart but at least beginning to play ball.

"Our approach is now, we've got a pretty good rapport with Fred Thompson. He came through fine for us this morning," White House counsel Fred Buzhardt says on a tape from June 6.

"He isn't very smart, is he?" Nixon asks.

"Not extremely so, but --," Buzhardt says, interrupted by the president.

"But he's friendly," Nixon says.

"But he's, he's friendly," Buzhardt echoes.

"Good."

A few days later, White House aides are heard saying Thompson will be even more helpful than his boss, Sen. Baker, and that Thompson agreed to secretly help undercut the credibility of White House whistleblower John Dean.

"They've finally got [Dean] under oath," Buzhardt says on a tape from June 11. "Uh, Thompson will work with us. So, good."

"Does he realize that Dean has some problems?" Nixon asks.

"Oh, yes sir," Buhardt responds. "Quite a few...He is willing to work with us; he is also now willing to work with us on shifting some focus to the Democrats. He's finally made up his mind; he's got to start looking at some of their stuff."

Later in the tape, Buzhardt says, "[Thompson is] willing to go, you know, pretty much the distance now. And he said he realized his responsibility was going to have to be as a Republican increasingly."

In his memoir of the Watergate era, Thompson admits to secretly alerting the White House to key evidence as it was discovered by congressional investigators.

Former Watergate committee investigator Scott Armstrong told ABC News that Thompson's cooperation with the White House undermined the investigation.

"It was the equivalent of two prosecutors knowing about something and one of them going behind the scenes and telling the person being accused what the witnesses were saying about him," Armstrong said.

Two months after Buzhardt's comments, Nixon resigned. Thompson would later take credit for helping to reveal the secret White House taping system that led to Nixon's downfall.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 12:00 pm
Thompson will finally show up for a debate today.....................

oh, sorry, I fell asleep just thinking about it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:13 pm
Thompson sounds nervous and way behind the times in todays debate.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:28 pm
Christ on a crutch, Willard Romney has said 'Hillary Clinton' 7 times in two paragraphs.

They're all doing it.

That's it. That's all they got.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:53 pm
hahaha....Romney made a funny about Law and Order. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:00 pm
Grandpa Tom did pretty good for his first debate. He likes the one-word answers followed by a stiff stare. It'll get him a certain amount of support from the 'tough' crowd.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:20 pm
McCain said that he hopes oil companies will take their profits and invest in nuclear power. Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
Pretty damn exciting "debate." several times I looked up from my needlepoint project.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:59 pm
Cyclo was on pins and needles. Razz
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 04:12 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm slightly gleeful about the prospect of him having to actually campaign. He's evidently bad at it. Not much of a work ethic. Arrives late, talks for 90 seconds, leaves people annoyed.

Hey, that's exactly what you've got now, Soz. I don't know what it is, but conservatives seem impelled by some mysterious force to vote for dummies.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:03 pm
Wadi tell ya? Actually nothing that no sentient human being doesn't already know. But here it is anyway.

http://www.workingforchange.com/comic.cfm?itemid=22356
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:17 pm
how autistic does a nation have to be, to care what a president "looks" like? it's a fair question, it comes up all the time.

i mean if he looks like an idiot (that's obviously not a problem for us...) it would help if there was something about him that countered that, but i'd like to think that "idiot" is an unacceptable "quality" in an leader, regardless of looks. of course, history doesn't agree with me on this one at all...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:52 am
JTT wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I'm slightly gleeful about the prospect of him having to actually campaign. He's evidently bad at it. Not much of a work ethic. Arrives late, talks for 90 seconds, leaves people annoyed.

Hey, that's exactly what you've got now, Soz. I don't know what it is, but conservatives seem impelled by some mysterious force to vote for dummies.

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.
0 Replies