Thompson Joins Race,

okie

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, we think that American conservatives and modern Muslim society have a whole lot in common... in fact, American Conservatism has quite a bit in common with extreme Islaamic beliefs.

Cycloptichorn

yup. the social conservatives anyway.

Apparently you have lost your marbles too?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 09:59 pm
BM....

I love how GOPers are quick to spout off statements like "who cares what those in Hollywood think. Shut up and ACT; stay out of politics" UNLESS you're Fred Thompson, Arnold Schwenegger, or Ronald Reagan.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:20 am
candidone1 wrote:
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
...and conservatives have the gall to call the Muslims backward. You conservatives must live this guy.

I mean really, why reinvest money into education, why not say that the solar system is warming, there are mountains of evidence to suppor that, why not drill in the ANWR, God's green earth was meant to be destroyed and exploited, and why not teach kids to abstain from sex rather than educating them on safe sex....there is so much evidence that supports th effectiveness of absinence only sex education.
I'm all for teaching conservatives how not to reproduce....but seriously....

You conservatives are one backward bunch of people. Too bad the world is moving forward without you.

So are you suggesting that Liberals think Muslims are "progressive?

You extremism disqualifies you from any objective analysis of any issue.

Please direct me to where I said that Muslims are progressive. I'd be interested to see where I said that...unless you are making an assumption my statements in order to arrive at an invalid conclusion.

As Cyclo has pointed out, I was informally introducing the kettle to the pot.

I asked you a direct question.

Let's try again.

Are you suggesting that Liberals think Muslims are progressive?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
...and conservatives have the gall to call the Muslims backward. You conservatives must live this guy.

I mean really, why reinvest money into education, why not say that the solar system is warming, there are mountains of evidence to suppor that, why not drill in the ANWR, God's green earth was meant to be destroyed and exploited, and why not teach kids to abstain from sex rather than educating them on safe sex....there is so much evidence that supports th effectiveness of absinence only sex education.
I'm all for teaching conservatives how not to reproduce....but seriously....

You conservatives are one backward bunch of people. Too bad the world is moving forward without you.

So are you suggesting that Liberals think Muslims are "progressive?

You extremism disqualifies you from any objective analysis of any issue.

No, we think that American conservatives and modern Muslim society have a whole lot in common... in fact, American Conservatism has quite a bit in common with extreme Islaamic beliefs.

Cycloptichorn

Really?

Explain how American Conservatives, Modern Muslims and Extreme Islamic beliefs are similiar.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:06 am
For Thompson, Goal Is to Don Reagan Mantle

By ADAM NAGOURNEY and JO BECKER
Published: September 7, 2007
Fred D. Thompson had one central strategic goal as he formally began his presidential campaign on Thursday: to win over conservatives who are disheartened at their current choice of Republican candidates by positioning himself as the ideological and stylistic heir of Ronald Reagan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/07/us/politics/07elect.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

That gives me one more reason for not voting for him.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:55 pm
okie wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

yup. the social conservatives anyway.

Apparently you have lost your marbles too?

nope.

radical islamists want everyone to bow to sharia law.

radical american christianists want everyone to bow to their beliefs and insert it into american law.

both, then, are seeking to subjugate all under their forms of theocracy.

so, "one nation, indivisable" becomes "one nation, under god". (and we all no which god that is, right ?)

"e pluribus unum" (+/- one out of many) becomes "in god we trust".

see what i'm saying ?

it's not the purpose or original intent of american government to address the religious community's wants beyond a guarantee of a right to worship as they wish. or to not worship, as the case may be.

so really, i don't see a lot of difference between the mullahs and the radical christian leaders in america.

other than the mullahs have achieved success in theocracizing iran and other countries while the christianist fascists are still working on it.

it is important to note that, while not all muslims are in league with the bin ladens of the world, not all american christians are in lock step with wackos like falwell and hagee et al.

so in other words, my marbles are doin' just dandy, thank you.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:55 pm
woiyo wrote:

I asked you a direct question.

Let's try again.

Are you suggesting that Liberals think Muslims are progressive?

NO, that was, and remains, your diversionary tactic. I said something to the effect that conservatives have the gall to call Muslims backward, when in fact, the FAR has many similarities to the Muslim extremist they take much pride in criticizing. As Cyclo and DTOM have above mentioned, the parallels between the right wingnuts and the Islamists they claim to be at war are many.

Desire to establish and enforce a theocratic state.
Have extremely archaic views on sex between consenting adults.
Refuse to give women full autonomy of their bodies.
Regard homosexuals as sub-human.
Wish to push thier ideology on the world, through voilence, manipulation and terror.
Want to preserve a patricarchal society, and one that is reminiscient of the 19th or 18th century.
See the world in black and white only.
The right flatly opposes any rights for a Palestinian state, the Islamists of Israel.

...just to name a few.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I am beginning to think you don't have all your marbles, cyclops. You libs are the Islamic terrorist sympathizers.

P.S. I don't think Thompson's campaign is going anywhere.

Sorry to have to point it out to you, but on most issues, you can't distinguish the social conservative from the muslim mainstream opinion.

Both are for an intergration of church and state
Both support banning abortion
Both support the death penalty
Both support religious intolerance
Both support banning homosexuality

The list could go on for some time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:05 pm
Without some moral conviction stemming from some kind of religious belief, we would have no laws whatsoever. Kill or be killed. You guys are so lost.

What if I believe vengeance is mine, what right does the state have to tell me any differently? Some law? Based on what? Don't you see the folly of the road you go down?

And cyclops, conservatives are not in favor of the church running the state, good grief, you are losing your marbles.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 11:16 pm
okie wrote:
Without some moral conviction stemming from some kind of religious belief, we would have no laws whatsoever. Kill or be killed. You guys are so lost.

This is not an axiomatic contention. Moral convictions are held by every religionist, and are justified in the name of their religion--that doesn't make them right. Likewise, there are athiests and agnostics who abide by or follow some sort of moral code that is independent of religious precepts. Every religion and every culture applies to their group or society a different kind of morality. It's ignorant to assume that a religion somehow provides an individual with the right guiding principles that are conducive to the survival of their species, and not simply principles that are conducive to the survival or promotion of its religious doctrine.

David Koresh, had moral convictions that were motivated by a religious belief. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had moral convictions that were motivated by a religious belief....and Jerry Falwell, who claims to be a Christian, believes that God is pro-war. He has a moral conviction stemming from a religious belief (that war is a moral and divinely approved act) in spite of the fact that his belief is in direct contradiction with "thou shall not murder" and "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy" (the killing does not stop on Sunday). The KKK, the Christian Identity Movement, Kach and the likes are all organizations motivated by religious beliefs. Their "morality" is one that promotes and incites hatred.

So, yeah, us libs are so lost when we look at the myriad deficiencies in religion, religious convictions, and the laughable notion of a moral conviction which stems from some kind of religious belief.

It is also interesting to examine morality from the perspective of an evolutionary biologist.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I am beginning to think you don't have all your marbles, cyclops. You libs are the Islamic terrorist sympathizers.

P.S. I don't think Thompson's campaign is going anywhere.

Sorry to have to point it out to you, but on most issues, you can't distinguish the social conservative from the muslim mainstream opinion.

Both are for an intergration of church and state
Both support banning abortion
Both support the death penalty
Both support religious intolerance
Both support banning homosexuality

The list could go on for some time.

Cycloptichorn

I think this post of yours does nothing more then demonstrate your intolerance of people that don't think like you.

You obviously have no idea what-so-ever of even what a social conservative is, much less what they believe in.

It us a nice list of ultra-liberal talking points so I am sure the other head nodders will yup along with you though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 02:04 pm
yup
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:49 pm
umm-hummm... chiming in for myself and other social moderates i know, too.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 05:15 pm
Thompson is a pretty scummy guy. He was part of the prosecution team in Watergate. We found out from the Nixon tapes that, at the same time, he was serving as a Nixon spy.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 08:06 pm
Are these, McG, ultra-liberal talkingn points, or are they some of the pillars of social conservatism?

I'd be interested in hearing what is considered the social conservatives' position is these days.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 05:16 am
Advocate wrote:
Thompson is a pretty scummy guy. He was part of the prosecution team in Watergate. We found out from the Nixon tapes that, at the same time, he was serving as a Nixon spy.

Hilary was also part of the Watergate prosecution.
Does that make her a bad person?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:26 am
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Hilary was also part of the Watergate prosecution.
Does that make her a bad person?

The point advocate made was not that Thompson was just a part of the Watergate prosecution......but also that he SPIED to Nixon about that prosecution.

I think you may have missed that point in your zealotry to say something bad about a Clinton.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:57 am
My early impression, for what it's worth.

I have not found this fellow impressive. He's not well spoken - that is, his statements and responses are neither concise nor clear. His gaze is often not direct and that, along with the odd pacing of his voice, makes him seem unconfident. Nixon thought that he wasn't very bright and that might be an accurate observation. Also, frivolous but important in modern electoral politics, he doesn't look very good. I've never watched his TV show so don't know if my impression here arises from seeing him in less complimentary lighting/makeup situations.

I'm a bit surprised by these impressions because a significant portion of the right has apparently been hoping that the fellow would rise above the other candidates in stature and presentation. But I think that in future debates he won't do well at all in comparison with Giuliani or Romney.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
I'm slightly gleeful about the prospect of him having to actually campaign. He's evidently bad at it. Not much of a work ethic. Arrives late, talks for 90 seconds, leaves people annoyed.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 11:17 am
soz

Me too. I think the fellow isn't going to match the expectations many on the right had for him.

If that's the way it will go, then we are back to Giuliani, Romney, and McCain. Giuliani seems to me to have the greatest potential in a general election and that's not a good thing as he's tying himself in tightly with the neoconservative crowd (taking on Podhoretz as advisor, for example). What will the religious right do now? A Mormon or a cross-dresser or the hated McCain?
0 Replies