• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,388 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
Carry on.

(Jew married to a Catholic, though he's erstwhile and I'm half/nonreligious.)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
It is my considered opinion, taking into account the complexities of the problem as you have listed them here, you should do the nasty.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 08:55 pm
make it a religious non-sectarian nasty
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:31 am
THe ReDHoRN- Seriously though, you may or may not have a dilemma. How important is Catholicism to you? Judaism to your girlfriend? Is your girlfriend Orthodox (fuggadaboutit), Conservative, or Reform? How connected is she to Jewish ritual? What about you?

If one or both of you are particularly devout, there could be a problem. There are certain folkways and customs peculiar to each religion. How would you raise your children? What is the attitudes of both sets of parents towards mixed marriages, and how involved are both of you to your parents? How old are you? Older people, IMO have an easier time of it, because they are usually more independent of their parents.

There are many couples of different faiths who have made wonderful lives together, but they need to know where they stand, as individuals, and a couple, in the matter of the impact that religion makes in their lives.

Also, this a a purely personal opinion. I have little regard for people who convert, "for the sake of the other person". Changing religions is not the same as changing a hairdo. Either you believe, or you don't. If you assume a religion that you do not believe in for someone else, you have started a relationship based on falsehoods. The only exception would be a person who converts who really does not care one way or the other about either religion, and I am a bit suspicious about that!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:39 am
What's a Jew?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:47 am
it will work if you are both tolerant of each others ways and traditions and discuss in advance potential problems like the religion children will be brought up in - one or the other? both and make their own decision as adults? none?

My husband is Irish and the cultural differences between us can be chasms at times! Like behaviour when someone dies - the English way is to be there quietly for someone but to give them space to grieve - the Irish way is to be there 24hours for them and have a wake! this has caused 'disagreements' Twisted Evil in its time.

It is often the simple things that cause the most trouble so as long as you are both prepared to try - go for it!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 08:21 am
(Giving cav a small shmack)

Congratulations! You're in love! Excellent!

I trust it your sweetheart feels the same. Yay! :-D

Now, how long-term is this relationship? How serious? Yeah, I know it's love but really, how serious (er, how old are you folks, anyway, if you don't mind my asking)? Is marriage being discussed? Kids? A shared home? Or just an empty drawer at your place for your honey's stuff?

If marriage and kids are on the table (a crowded table, for sure), then go with what Phoenix said. After all, raising children with both faiths is possible, but it is different. I've got 2 sets of cousins (actually, I may have more) who have intermarried, plus my sister-in-law. Our family is mainly Jewish, but these cousins both married Catholic women. And life went on, and their religions weren't an issue. One couple is still wed, the other was recently divorced, but not due to religious differences. The kids in the first couple were raised as Jews. The ones in the second were raised with both faiths. My sister-in-law is married to a Catholic man (they have no kids). Far as I'm aware, the religious differences mean nothing to them.

So it depends on how strict everyone is, and how important it is to pass on your faith (if you even want to have children), etc. But please, I hope you'll listen to your families but ultimately make any decisions on your own. It's wonderful when families get along, but it's not absolutely necessary for a successful relationship and/or marriage. So if you and your sweetie want to be together, but the families object, listen politely and then do whatever the heck you want to.

Best of luck to you!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:25 am
I wanna do Sophia....er....uh...I mean I think you should do what Sophia said....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 11:07 am
I would like to roll around violently and naked with the former Johnny Depp, as well.

I do think this could be the answer to racial tolerance and world peace.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:40 pm
Thank all of you for your suggestions but I forgot to add that my parents are devout catholics who would like him to convert. But hey, it's not too serious...well uh...sort of serious....but I have other people on my waiting to be married list! Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 08:02 pm
Dammit, I got punted by some chick earlier this year...her reason was I wasn't Jewish(she was).

Damn #($*#*#@&*#&!!!!

I'm not bitter though. Besides, I'm sure that wasn't her real reason. Probably had something to do with accidently tying her cat to the rear bumper of my car and driving down the interstate.
0 Replies