Is a comma needed?

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:27 am
I think she is no longer angry with you(,) since you've explained in such great detail.

I think she is no longer angry with you(,) because you've explained in such great detail.

Is a comma needed after 'you' in both sentences? I don't think so but my friend thinks otherwise.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 399 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 03:36 am
No, but again, thats only my opinion.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 03:45 am
The comma is neccessary to avoid ambiguity, that is to avoid conveying or confusingly suggesting the meaning that she is no longer: [angry with you because you explained is such great detail]
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 04:14 am
contrex wrote:
The comma is neccessary to avoid ambiguity, that is to avoid conveying or confusingly suggesting the meaning that she is no longer: [angry with you because you explained is such great detail]

Thanks, Contrex.

My meaning is that she is no longer angry with you. So does it mean a comma in not required? Thanks again.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:48 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
contrex wrote:

Thanks, Contrex.

My meaning is that she is no longer angry with you. So does it mean a comma in not required? Thanks again.

Yes, I had gathered your meaning! The comma is necessary to separate two clauses.

Maybe my square brackets device was not sufficiently clear. Sorry!

Without the comma, the suggestion is that she is no longer angry with the other person, the reason for her previous anger being the fact that they explained in such (excessively?) great detail.

With the comma, the suggestion is that she is no longer angry with the other person, the reason for her anger having abated being the fact that they explained in such (sufficiently?) great detail.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 06:02 am
Hi Contrex

Without the comma, the suggestion is that she is no longer angry with the other person, the reason for her previous anger being the fact that they explained in such (excessively?) great detail.

With the comma, the suggestion is that she is no longer angry with the other person, the reason for her anger having abated being the fact that they explained in such (mollifyingly?) great detail.

I'm sorry to have to ask you again. What do 'excessively' and 'mollifyingly' mean?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:28 am
ex·cessive·ly adv.
ex·cessive·ness n.

Synonyms: excessive, exorbitant, extravagant, immoderate, inordinate, extreme, unreasonable

These adjectives mean exceeding a normal, usual, reasonable, or proper limit. Excessive describes a quantity, amount, or degree that is more than what is justifiable, tolerable, or desirable: excessive drinking.

mollifyingly adv

from

mollify verb

To ease the anger or agitation of: appease, assuage, calm (down), conciliate, dulcify, gentle, pacify, placate, propitiate, soften, soothe, sweeten. Idioms: pour oil on troubled water.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:51 am
My heartfelt thanks, Contrex, for painstakingly explaining to me what I was not sure about.

Best regards.
0 Replies