correction of sentences

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:19 am
Please correct the following for me.

To me, life is very much like a rainbow. It is full of colours, warm and cold, sorrowful and cheerful; and the most splendid moment often appears when a smile shines through teardrops

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 383 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:34 pm
Very nice, Yoong Liat. It scarcely needs correction. Moments usually come rather than appear, and if they do it often, maybe they need to be plural? Also, sentences should end with a full stop, but maybe that was a typing error?

My suggestion...

To me, life is very much like a rainbow. It is full of colours, warm and cold, sorrowful and cheerful; and the most splendid moments often come when a smile shines through teardrops.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:28 pm
Thank you very much. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Best wishes (By the way, should I put a full stop after 'wishes'? Thanks.)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:43 pm
I just noticed the "and" following a semicolon. That mark can be used to connect independent separate clauses which would otherwise be sentences in their own right.

-- but --

You don't use a semicolon to connect two complete sentences if there's a conjunction between the clauses (and, but, etc.). In that case, use a comma.

Example:

This could be a complete sentence; this could be another one.

-- but --

This could be a complete sentence, and this could be another one.

Adding that single word, the conjunction "and," means that you must change that semicolon into a comma.

So:

To me, life is very much like a rainbow. It is full of colours, warm and cold, sorrowful and cheerful, and the most splendid moments often come when a smile shines through teardrops.

Punctuation is optional in informal greetings and salutations, indeed excessive correctness might be interpreted as showing a lack of feeling, but I think you are teasing me, Yoong Liat...

Best wishes all the same.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:08 am
Many thanks for the thorough reply.

I was not teasing you. I think in BrE, after Best wishes a full stop is unnecessary, but in AmE, it is needed.

I don't know whether members who are native speakers of AmE will agree, but this is what I read in letter writing books.

Best wishes
0 Replies