Public executions

Equus

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 01:52 pm
When did the USA and other western countries stop holding executions in public?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,304 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:15 pm
As far as I know the last public execution in the US was a hanging in either Kentucky or Tennessee about 1934.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:17 pm
http://www.geocities.com/trctl11/hanging.html

An estimated 400 witnesses were present for the hanging of Lee Simpson in Ryegate, Montana, on December 30, 1939.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:21 pm
mmm but doesn't the way saddam hussein's dead son's photos were prominent in the international press remind you a bit of heads on spikes outside medieval castles?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
BillW, and how many would show up today for OJ Simpson's public hanging? And how many would show up just to riot?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:35 pm
Vivien
No! That was done with a purpose to prove to the Iraqi people that they were dead. There was no other way and it needed to be done.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:38 pm
Last I knew cav, OJ was found not guilty - :sad:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 12:54 am
au1929 wrote:
Vivien
No! That was done with a purpose to prove to the Iraqi people that they were dead. There was no other way and it needed to be done.

Yes I understand that but it won't alter the opinion of those who don't want to believe.

Also - imagine the outrage if those had been American citizens photographed dead and displayed for the world to see?????
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:22 am
Vivien

Quote:
Yes I understand that but it won't alter the opinion of those who don't want to believe.

But it will assure those that are willing to.

Quote:
Also - imagine the outrage if those had been American citizens photographed dead and displayed for the world to see?????

That would be entirely dependent upon the circumstances.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:28 am
mmm .... think we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the harm done outweighs any good. It was a rather barbaric act and opens up the idea of American dead being treated in a similar way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
OJ was convicted in the civil trial....more shame the US justice system Sad
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 11:13 am
Hanging isn't a penalty for civil trial. cav, I don't believe there is a lot wrong with the judical system at this stage - one report I remember seeing at that time was that all of America and her past was on trial - the problem was that they picked a very bad individual to represent that stance.

Now, the "more shame the US justice system" is the appellate and Supreme Court. This part of the system is a pure shame and sham!!!!

cav, please note I have not tried to justify OJ - I believe he is guilty, guilty, guilty -
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:07 am
The media report about the deaths of Saddam's sons with pictures and camera shots is nothing but a pretentious showing-off to the rest of the world the potency of American military capability and give some messeges to operative terrorist groups and heads of "rogue states" that if they remain recalcitrant, they are going to be fucked up just like what has become of Iraq.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:42 am
BillW, no problem, you were quite clear that you were not justifying OJ. My first post was a riff on the name, Lee Simpson, which reminded me of that other Simpson (not Homer Laughing ) who should have been convicted in the first trial. My second post just was a thought on the fact that a civil trial, although the only route for the victims, was certainly not proper justice done. Personally, I support reviving public executions for pedophiles, child abusers, and serial killers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:32 am
au1929 wrote:
Vivien

Quote:

But it will assure those that are willing to.

Quote:

That would be entirely dependent upon the circumstances.

Au

Earlier you wrote: "That was done with a purpose to prove to the Iraqi people that they were dead. There was no other way and it needed to be done."

So tell me this: If it were enemies of ours who had killed some of our people -- and their motives were to show the American people that the victims actually were dead -- do you think there would be no outrage among Americans if they simply posted pictures of the mutilated corpses?

I think Americans would go apeshit if anyone ever did what we did with those corpses! I'm interested in why you would think otherwise.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:33 am
cav, Thanks, didn't want to not be unclear on that subject -

Re: public execution, I like quiet - unglamourous executions. Don't want to give offenders a last hurrah Plus, the type of people that get off on that sort of thing are usually the ones that will be on the "gallows" in the near future (or should be).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:40 am
Good point BillW....how do you feel about the ones victimized witnessing the execution of the guilty party, i.e. prison executions, where only family of the victims and officials are present?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:43 am
Some people feel they need it for closure. This is what I pray for, proper closure - the "guilty ones" family are also victims.

Yes, I do agree with justified witnessing.

You ever hear of the gambling that use to exist at public hangings. They were very morbid -
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:45 am
Hmm...history has never been my strong suit, but post away if you have info, I would be curious to read about it.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:53 am
I don't have any posts, it's just that the bets would be on if the hanging was botched or not, how many repeats, if it was so good the head separated from the body - gory stuff like that. Then, they say how bad we are today because of the TV. Hangings were events - popcorn, pop, souvenirs, etc. I'll check fast for a link.
0 Replies