I need to talk. Please, answer

paty

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:12 am
I'm and Italian 40 years old "girl". Two years ago, after what I thought had been 10 blissful years of marriage, I became attracted by a friend that I used to run with (we belong to a running group). Besides running together, we had exchanged email addresses and started chatting on computer, thus getting to know and appreciate each other more and more. Nothing physical happened for about a year. Let me tell you, before I go on, that for 13 years, together with my husband, I belonged to a very strong religious community (Latter Day Saints). Our whole life turned around the church, but I was happy about it. My husband's job kept him out of town during the day. We hadn't had children, notwithstanding all our attempts (included in vitro fertilization and adoption, for which we were supposed to wait two more years). Anyway, when I figured out I had fallen in love with A. I candidly talked about it with my husband: probably, had he shown some jealousy, things might have ended differently, but he acted as if I were ill, and in a way I felt myself as if it were sort of a bug that I couldn't get rid of. In the end, I decided to take a trip abroad and spend a month with friends belonging to the same religious group, also getting psychological help. When I came back I though I was whole again, but the very next day I felt compelled to go and find A. He had had a rotten month himself, unsuccessfully trying to forget me, so in the end things got even worse and our relationship became also physical, leading, in about 6 months, to breaking up with our spouses and going to live together. Nevertheless, things haven't been exactly perfect since then: daily living together brought up the sides of our personalities that hadn't shown during our "perfect story", but the main reason was, and still is, that I can't help but live with huge feelings of guilt for having abandoned a man that loved me with all his heart and adored whatever I did, plus my religion, whose standard I wasn't living up to anymore. I actually don't miss neither of them, I just feel like sh** because of what I did: this makes me act childlike toward A: on one side I feel that he's all that is left in my life and cling to him constantly, making him feel pressed and breathless; on the other hand, I constantly feel that I should end our relationship, but I love him deeply: it's just that I can't live this story in a relaxed, serene way. I'm aware that in no case things could go back to what they used to be, after all I don't want them to, but still I can't help acting the way I do (feeling bad, making him sense it, and, thus, questioning our relationship and putting it to trial). I need his CONSTANT attention and love, to be cuddled constantly, and if, for a day, I feel like he's not paying attention to me, I start making up stories that hopefully will get him jealous, so that he's interested in me again. But these things only make him angry… I didn't use to be that way with my husband at all, but after all my husband was dependent on my love as much as I'm now dependent on my new partner's love (infact I find myself saying and doing many things that my husband used to tell me, live "I need you", or "I can't live without you"). I got to the conclusion that I'm codependent, but is it possible to start being such from one day to the other? What really confuses me is that I had great parents, who loved and took care of me, but I know I lack self confidence and self esteem, all the same. Please, help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 646 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:20 am
paty, from what you say, I'd really recommend trying to make it on your own for a while. I'm glad children aren't involved, that makes things much less complicated. But you seem to have lost sight of who you are when you're not being reflected by a man. And that's probably important, if you want to eventually have a healthy partnership.

Good luck...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 12:54 pm
Paty--

Welcome to A2K.

I agree with Soz. Leaving your husband and moving in with "A" hasn't solved your problems--if anything your insecurities are more intense and inconvenient than they were at this time last year.

You wrote of having some professional help when you were travelling. I suggest you find someone locally who can help you think your situation/s through.

Leaving a husband and a church are two very stressful changes, especially when you were already not dealing with underlying insecurities.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 02:10 pm
Paty:

It is good that you've talked about your life. Unfortunately, despite the fact that there are some very smart people on A2K; you need more comprehensive help than will be available here. You are making your most important life-decisions based on "feelings" and this rarely works in favor of anyone. As noddy suggests - you should seek professional help as soon as possible.
0 Replies

paty

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:46 pm
We made up our minds... sigh!
Crying or Very sad
Hello and thanks everybody,
I wanted to let you know that A and I made up our minds: we decided to take some time apart so that I can figure out what I really want and cope with all the unresolved problems and feelings I'm still struggling with.

I know I can always count on him for help, but I'll truly try to leave him alone, in order for both of us to clarify our minds.

I'll also try and find a counselor, perhaps in a short while...

In the meanwhile, please say a little prayer for me or just think of me: I hope so badly to be able to resist and, by so doing, helping at least him, if not myself.

He deserves more than a disturbed person, or, to say the least, someone who doesn't even know anymore what and who she is.

Wish me good luck: I need it very badly.

Ciao

Paty

P.S. Today I'll go back to my own house (we used to live in his) and there I've no internet, so I could be a little slow in replying your eventual posts, but I have access to internet from work, so, please, KEEP IN TOUCH!!!! I need you more than ever!!!!
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:10 am
Paty--

I'm a little confused. You're going back to your house--does this mean you're returning to your husband?

Personally, I think you need a vacation from all entangling ties while you get your head together, but I'm having opinions from the outside and you have to live on the inside.

Good luck.
0 Replies

paty

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:25 am
I'm going to be by myself
No, I'm not going back to my husband: he walked out of my house when we separated, but I didn't want to live with A in the same house that I had shared with my ex husband, so we rented a house together.
Now I'm going to go back and live by myself, but it's so difficult!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:08 am
Paty--

I'm going to be a bit sententious.

Most things that are worthwhile doing take some effort.

Of course, so does murdering your grandfather, dismembering his body and burying the separate pieces across the state. That takes a lot of effort.

Hang in there.
0 Replies