0
   

Hi-I'd like some help with Dutch translations

 
 
Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 01:50 pm
Hello. I'm doing research for a project-I'm looking for translations in as many languages as possible. I'd like to know is there someone here who can please help me out with some Dutch language questions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,186 • Replies: 8
No top replies

 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:58 pm
reply to all
Hi-are there any Dutch speakers here?
0 Replies
 
D1Doris
 
  1  
Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 02:49 pm
Hello Goldman,

I'm dutch and it would be a pleasure to help with any question you have about the language. What can I do for you?
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:08 pm
D1Doris wrote:
Hello Goldman,

I'm dutch and it would be a pleasure to help with any question you have about the language. What can I do for you?


Hi. I'm doing research on Dutch youth, street and college slang.

I'd like to know what are Dutch slang terms for:

tough guy
tough girl
tomboy
powerfully-built male
powerfully-built female

I've heard "manwijf" used for "tomboy"-but that is derogatory.

Please let me know and please list as many terms as possible. Thank you. Very Happy
0 Replies
 
D1Doris
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:40 am
tough guy - I'd say 'taaie (vent/gozer)' or 'bikkel' (although that does sound slightly old fashioned) or if he is or looks criminally inclined and usually looks heavy, the bear type: 'zware jongen'. This is what you say of bouncers for instance.

tough girl - The first thing that springs to mind is a description instead of a word. I guess people would say 'Een beetje zo'n Lara Croft-achtig wijf' which means more or less 'A bit of a Lara Croft type of girl'.
As for one term... maybe 'stoere meid'.

tomboy - I think 'manwijf' is a good one although it refers to women only, not girls and it's mainly about the appearance, less about the behaviour. You'd suspect a 'manwijf' to be a lesbian. When you do talk about the behaviour, you'd say she's a 'mannelijke vrouw (in gedrag)', or you'd call her 'lomp', as in.. her behaviour is 'lomp'. That is far from a compliment!
A (little) girl who behaves (and usually looks) like a boy is a 'jongensachtig meisje'.

powerfully-built male - kleerkast

powerfully-built female - stevige dame, zwaargebouwde dame. In conversation you usually use gestures or intonation to show that you mean muscular instead of fat. A 'stevige tante' usually refers to a chubby lady.

I hope this will be of help. Good luck with your research. Are you gonna put the results online somewhere?
Cuz I noticed you've been asking questions about loads of languages. It must be an interesting study.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:39 pm
D1Doris wrote:
tough guy - I'd say 'taaie (vent/gozer)' or 'bikkel' (although that does sound slightly old fashioned) or if he is or looks criminally inclined and usually looks heavy, the bear type: 'zware jongen'. This is what you say of bouncers for instance.

tough girl - The first thing that springs to mind is a description instead of a word. I guess people would say 'Een beetje zo'n Lara Croft-achtig wijf' which means more or less 'A bit of a Lara Croft type of girl'.
As for one term... maybe 'stoere meid'.

tomboy - I think 'manwijf' is a good one although it refers to women only, not girls and it's mainly about the appearance, less about the behaviour. You'd suspect a 'manwijf' to be a lesbian. When you do talk about the behaviour, you'd say she's a 'mannelijke vrouw (in gedrag)', or you'd call her 'lomp', as in.. her behaviour is 'lomp'. That is far from a compliment!
A (little) girl who behaves (and usually looks) like a boy is a 'jongensachtig meisje'.

powerfully-built male - kleerkast

powerfully-built female - stevige dame, zwaargebouwde dame. In conversation you usually use gestures or intonation to show that you mean muscular instead of fat. A 'stevige tante' usually refers to a chubby lady.

I hope this will be of help. Good luck with your research. Are you gonna put the results online somewhere?
Cuz I noticed you've been asking questions about loads of languages. It must be an interesting study.


Hi-thank you. What terms can I use for a teenage tomboy that isn't derogatory?

Can I use a term like 'jongensmeisje' or 'jongenmeisje'? Is that considered slang?
0 Replies
 
D1Doris
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:13 am
Jongensmeisje and jongenmeisje don't exist, but 'jongensachtig meisje' isn't necessarily derogatory. It usually isn't actually.
Manwijf definately is.
0 Replies
 
D1Doris
 
  1  
Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 03:24 am
I forgot to answer you slang question.

Jongensachtig meisje isn't slang. It's very normal dutch. It's not obviously offensive, it can be neutral description of a girl. "She's a bit jongensachtig (but there's nothing wrong with that)".

Manwijf could be slang. Hold on, I'll have a look to see what the dictionary says.
It says: "forse en bazige, ruwe vrouw, syn. virago, dragonder, kenau."
So that's the official meaning. It means "sturdy/robust and imperious/domineering, rough woman".
I'd say a woman like that will be found to be manly, but this is not exactly the way in which I and the people around me use this word. Among me and my friends a manwijf is a woman who acts but mainly looks like a man.
Age could have something to do with it. I'm 23. My parents would probably agree with the meaning found in the dictionary.
0 Replies
 
JGoldman10
 
  1  
Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:34 pm
D1Doris wrote:
I forgot to answer you slang question.

Jongensachtig meisje isn't slang. It's very normal dutch. It's not obviously offensive, it can be neutral description of a girl. "She's a bit jongensachtig (but there's nothing wrong with that)".

Manwijf could be slang. Hold on, I'll have a look to see what the dictionary says.
It says: "forse en bazige, ruwe vrouw, syn. virago, dragonder, kenau."
So that's the official meaning. It means "sturdy/robust and imperious/domineering, rough woman".
I'd say a woman like that will be found to be manly, but this is not exactly the way in which I and the people around me use this word. Among me and my friends a manwijf is a woman who acts but mainly looks like a man.
Age could have something to do with it. I'm 23. My parents would probably agree with the meaning found in the dictionary.


Hi-aren't there any slang terms for a "masculine-acting girl" I can use that aren't derogatory?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

deutsch anyone?? - Discussion by tell me why
Languages and Thought - Discussion by rosborne979
How many languages do you know ? - Discussion by mikinsmith
english to latin phrase translation - Discussion by chelsea84
What other languages would you use a2k in? - Discussion by Craven de Kere
Translation of names into Hebrew - Discussion by Sandra Karl
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Hi-I'd like some help with Dutch translations
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/27/2022 at 08:04:08