• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 603 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:39 am
Is it a Brit or Commonwealth company?

Public limited company, in UK or Ireland, a type of limited company whose shares may be sold to the public.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:49 am
PLC is not an acronym, it is an initialism. An acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word, such as NATO and AIDS.

The initials PLC after a company name in certain countries (UK, Ireland Australia and maybe others) indicate that it is a public limited company, a type of limited company whose shares may be offered for sale to the public. (The equivalent term in the United States is Public company).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:37 am
I guess that you didn't like my answer
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
Ragman wrote:
I guess that you didn't like my answer

I didn't see it until after I finished typing my own answer. I was stuck in the "Post a reply" screen for 15 minutes waiting for my boss to go away.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:40 am
^5 contrex!

Wait...it's Labor Day here in US. ooh..you're in France. That 'splains it. Are you from France originally or a transplant from elsewhere?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:53 am
Ragman wrote:
^5 contrex!

Wait...it's Labor Day here in US. ooh..you're in France. That 'splains it. Are you from France originally or a transplant from elsewhere?

My mother is French and my father is British. I grew up in England. I work for a company that has branches in both countries. I spend about 4-6 months of each year in France.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:58 am
Very interesting. I know very little French so forgive me if I mangle this...

A question about your sig line: As near as I translated it using Babel Fish translator online :

"One be known as that I am null (no good?) with the oral examination, that I cannot do better?"

the way it came from Babel Fish first time is :

"It m'a?() is said that I am null with l'oral(?), that I n'(?) can not step (strive?) to do better!"
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 11:47 am
Ragman wrote:
A question about your sig line: As near as I translated it using Babel Fish translator online :

"One be known as that I am null (no good?) with the oral examination, that I cannot do better?"

the way it came from Babel Fish first time is :

"It m'a?() is said that I am null with l'oral(?), that I n'(?) can not step (strive?) to do better!"

It's a quote from a rock song, "Gang Bang", by my favourite group, Indochine. I am a big fan and so is my girlfriend. We are crazy about them!

I offer my translation as

They say I'm no good at "oral", but I can't do any better.

As you might guess, "oral" has a double meaning I think, the clean one is a school test where you write down a piece of dictation. Although I think that would be nul en l'oral really!

"nul" is a slang word meaning "no good" - "nul en philo" means "no good at philosophy" (They teach philosophy in French schools)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 12:05 pm
hey, my attempt was not half bad for a non-French speaker, huh?

Thanks for setting me on the right path. Hey, oral sex is "clean" living. Twisted Evil
0 Replies