Did Karma finally get this Baltimore defense attorney?

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 05:21 am
The following is an article from this morning's Baltimore Sun, regarding an incident that happened over the weekend at the home of one of Baltimore's most prominent defense attorneys. Now he wants to move out of the City, to a safer neighborhood in the County, where - here it comes - there is less crime!

Hmmmm.....is it because there are too many drug dealers, murderers and rapists on the streets in Baltimore City?
Is it because said drug dealers, murderers and rapists should be in prison where the police, the prosecution and the citizens wanted them to be, but they're not because of Mr. Brown's excellent defense work?

I understand that's his profession, and I know that he does his job very very well.....but damn, Karma sure can bite you in the ass, can't she?

Seeking a place where the pool just has water
Laura Vozzella
August 29, 2007
If a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged, what's to become of Warren A. Brown? Suburbanite? Prosecutor?

The prominent defense attorney, used to representing Baltimore thugs, hasn't been so comfortable with some recent, outside-the-courthouse encounters. Two weeks ago, his 18-year-old son was robbed at gunpoint a block from the family's Northwest Baltimore home. Then last weekend, a man who'd been shot in an apparent robbery wound up, with his sport utility vehicle, in the family pool. The man died.

"Must be something about this, something metaphysical, something beyond our understanding," Brown said. "How many people have a car crash through their wall, end up in the pool, and the owner just happens to be a criminal defense attorney who represents people who shoot people? It'd be laughable actually, except that it's traumatic for kids. They don't feel comfortable in the house."

Brown says he's glad his children - his son and 14- and 16-year-old daughters - spend most of their time at out-of-state boarding schools.

"As much as I love them, I almost don't like to see them come home for the summer and vacations because I worry about them getting caught in the crossfire," he said.

His son's robbery already had him mulling a move to the 'burbs. Now he really wants out.

"This is too much," he said. "Every time we get in the pool now, we're thinking about some guy who died in the pool. Who needs that thought? It's forever tainted."

Where would the Browns go?

"Wherever it is, I'm going to make sure the local residents are safe and not predatory in character."

How about a professional move, over to the state's attorney's office? Brown has used his legal skills to free plenty of predators. How about using those talents to put bad guys behind bars?

Not likely.

Even though he's angry that "things are so out of control," Brown said, that "doesn't deter me from my task, which is to make sure everybody, good and bad, reprehensible and sympathetic, are all protected by the Constitution. I got to represent some bad people sometimes who really are getting a windfall benefit from my zeal as it relates to people's constitutional rights."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 14
No top replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 05:50 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Some people study law. Out of these, some become defense attornies.

Defending people in criminal trials doesn't mean that you should like criminals privately or have to live in unsafe neighbourhoods.

(As a social worker, I won't like to live in slums or with homeless as well.)

Walter, I understand that. One of my best friends works for the Baltimore attorney that defended, among other despicable characters, one of the DC snipers, and a priest that sexually abused kids. I've asked her how she can meet, greet and have conversations with these people knowing what they've done, and she just tells me that she tries to put it out of her mind and just do her job.
It's good that she can do that. That's why she makes the big bucks and why she works in a beautiful office high above Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

It just seems that in this case, with the things that have happened to him, Mr. Brown is experiencing the ol' what goes around comes around effect. He got them off the street and now it's directly affecting him and his family.

You, as a social worker, are trying to help people that deserve to be helped - hopefully. Many of the people that Brown represents are in fact guilty, but free because of his legal hocus-pocus. They are repeat criminals that not only repeat, but escalate their violence each time they're set free.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:03 am
Well, I tried to help a lot of criminals as a probation officer; I tried to help a lot of psychiatric ill persons who committed crimes as well.

And some of those even tried to attack me.

Oh, and I don't think that there's a single human being in whatever circumstance of life and where ever it may be who doesn't deserve to get helped.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:19 am
Walter, there's a difference between being 'helped' and being plea-bargained out of much deserved jail time.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:38 am
First, happycat, let me say that every time I see your moniker I think of a song. Razz

Having shared that with you and Walter, your news about the attorney reminds me of Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death." I'm certain that you understand the allusion.

I am certain that Walter is aware that some criminals cannot be rehabilitated, but I do admire his attempt to help them.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:56 am
Letty, what song?

Yep, you can run but you can't hide - it looks like the Red Death invaded Brown's swimming pool while he was out to dinner.

I admire Walter's work too.
I also admire this attorney for his talent, and his ability to defend people that deserve to be helped. But to keep repeat offenders - obviously and outrageously dangerous people - on the streets is not acceptable.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:07 am
First the song.

Happy cat keep talking happy cat
Talk about things you'd like to do,
You gotta have a dream, if you don't have a dream,
How you gonna have a dream come true?

Can't say this for certain, but many repeat offenders like sociopaths, will never be well. So many fall in this category and have not been diagnosed properly, hence the problem. Don't know if Walter dealt with this type or not.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:15 am
happycat wrote:
Letty, what song?
But to keep repeat offenders - obviously and outrageously dangerous people - on the streets is not acceptable.

Well, I suppose you have related laws which deal with such.

And laws, which define what a defense attorney can do, laws (and bylaws) about procedure at courts etc etc

If such doesn't work as it is thaught to work - people should pressure their lawmakers to change those laws .... or the constitution.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:35 am
Happycat--

My uncle was a lawyer.

Years and years and years ago--back in the '40's--a beautiful little blond five year old was violated and murdered when she was trick or treating.
Her body was found in a neighborhood cemetery.

The guilty man was mentally retarded and caught almost immediately.

My uncle offered to undertake his defense.

He was found guilty,but my uncle convinced the jury that the death penalty was unfair in this case.

"The Public" was outraged that the murderer had a lawyer--a free lawyer--who happened to be one of the best criminal justice lawyers in town.
My brother and sister and I--and of course our cousins--were exposed to a great deal of criticism from The Public.

(What The Public would have said to a professional man who allowed the children of his family to set his professional standards, I do not know.)

We also were exposed to the notions of "innocent until proven guilty" and "entitled to a lawyer" and "fair trial".

Even scum is entitled to a fair trial.

Question for you, Happycat:

You are trying to raise money for a cause that will do a great deal of good for children in the inner city. This lawyer offers you a substantial contribution. Do you reject his donation because it is tainted money?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 09:52 am
Noddy, first of all, I would definitely take the money. Money is money - it doesn't matter where it came from, only where it's going.

About the case you mentioned, that's entirely different. I'm not talking about those who are mentally retarded and commit crimes.
I'm angry about those who make their money off the streets (ie., drugs, prostitution, murder, etc.) and then when they're busted for one of the above listed infractions, use that money to buy themselves the best defense in town in order to avoid punishment.

Remember O.J.?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:17 am
As said: change the constitution and forbid that such persons get legal aid in a trial.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:23 am
Walter, it's a constitutional right, and money talks.
Put those two together and you've got gold-toothed, chain-draped, doo-rag wearing thugs walking out of the courthouse and back onto the streets of our cities.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
O.J. had an incompetent prosecutor as well as a skilled, well-paid defense team.

I've learned to accept an imperfect universe in order to avoid the evils of a more orderly world.

Rather than argue that lawyers be less skilled, why not lobby for Professional Juries who can deal with highly technical evidence and court room dramatics.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
Noddy24 wrote:
O.J. had an incompetent prosecutor as well as a skilled, well-paid defense team.

I've learned to accept an imperfect universe in order to avoid the evils of a more orderly world.

Rather than argue that lawyers be less skilled, why not lobby for Professional Juries who can deal with highly technical evidence and court room dramatics.

Oh I don't want lawyers to be less skilled. I may need one someday!! Shocked
But I certainly agree with your idea about juries.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:59 am
Letty, I remember that song from south pacific. I think her accent was really thick and she was just saying "hap-hap-hap-hap-hap-hap happy talk
talk abou things you like to do
If you don't have a dream......etc
0 Replies