Preventing Diabetes ~ Controling sugar level

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:32 pm
Hello everyone;
I'm still a teenager, my dad is diabetic and though he is an old man, I feel much better if I take good care of myself from now and follow steps to prevent getting diabetes in the long or short run.
In your opinion and medical info , what are the best tips and advice for a teenager like me in order to stay as far as possible from diabetes??
Thanks a bunch
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:50 pm
(Your dad's an OLD man, eh?)

I think it's important to eat a well-balanced diet, stay active and keep your weight down. Don't try to cut out all forms of sugar - that would be dangerous. I wish I had some hard info to give you. Why not consult your physician at your next physical.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 05:35 am
vonderjohn- littlek has given you some good advice. Keep your weight down, easy on sugar and starches, and exercise.

One of the best things that you can do is to stay away from soda. It has no nutrition, and contains lots of empty calories. Teenagers comsume way too much soda. Instead of a Coke, buy either a diet soda (I know some of them taste lousy), or better still, drink water.

Avoid junk food. If you look at the nutritional components of McDonalds. BurgerKing and the like, you will see that most of their stuff is predominantly carbs. Instead of a burger with a huge bun, if you just "happen" to be at McDonald's, order one of their new salads. (the ones WITHOUT the breading). Avoid French Fries and French fried onions like the plague.

Stay away from "balloon" bread. ( Wonder Bread, and most of the popular white breads, that are mostly carbs with little nutrition.)

The whole idea is that you want to get the most "bang" for your nutritional buck. In that way, you can still stay healthy, and consume less calories.

Whenever you can, walk instead of ride. If you go to the mall, don't try to get the nearest spot. Park farther away, so you can walk. Try to do some form of exercise every day. I remember once reading an article about how to exercise without equipment or a gym. One of the points that they made is that if there is a staircase, use it. Walk up and down a dozen times. That'll give you exercise, and won't cost a cent. Also, don't use elevators if you live or work in a high rise building.

See your doctor, and have your blood checked on a regular basis.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
Phoenix points to good healthy means of getting through life. The single best thing for you to do now, is to train your self into living a healthy lifestyle. Of course, that one simple thing changes everything.
0 Replies

KSMAN

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:05 pm
Diabetes...
Check out www.webmd.com....I'm sure you'll find all kinds of health stuff in there too. And of course, keep up with this forum. Interesting stuff.

Smile
0 Replies