GE Logix 255/760 On Demand 48000 grain Water Softener

justalurker

Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:41 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
I disagree that a product using a highly improved redesign of a previously proven original design, as you yourself say, should be considered as R & D.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and the tack usually taken by minds that are creatively challenged.

If Moe, Larry, and Curly, (late of Fleck) couldn't come up with a better design then copying what they had done under the employ of Fleck is all they could do and as engineers they should be ashamed.

Absent ONE SINGLE INTERCHANGABLE PART the Clack is a DIFFERENT design than the Fleck and the Fleck's proven field record over DECADES does NOT grandfather down to the Clack as much as you'd like it to.

Gary Slusser wrote:
I've been tracking what dealers say about it since 2000 and since Dec. 2003 I've checked the internet constantly and I don't see complaints about the Clack line of control valves from dealers or owner/customers. I have not experienced complaints from my roughly 870 customers using it over the last 3.5+ years either; and that includes the one I sold you.

Other than the Clack control boards that were sold that don't allow the flexibility in settings as later boards do? What about noisy Clacks?

As far as mine, you hear nothing because it requires no service as a door stop and you know it.

The Clack is a competent valve, but merely a pretender to the Fleck. Let's see how the Clack does after 30 years or so, oops... but that'd be another 30 years added onto the Fleck resume also.

Gary Slusser wrote:
As to increased profits... I say you should be looking at the guys that are manufacturing and selling the original 35 year old product while not only holding up their prices, they raise them substantially every year. Just last week Fleck announced another 7% increase to their distributors/my suppliers.

So you blame Fleck for the price of Noryl, labor, overhead, operating costs, advertising... get real.

You and your mail order drop-shipping distributers live by market share and profit margin... plain and simple.

Your partner in slime, Nelsen Corp, will jump to another quick turning product in a heartbeat if there's another couple points of profit in it. They (and you) have less interest in what product is better than what product is more profitable. Unfortunately, this is the way business is done today and it'd be nice if the people doing it would just admit it.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Sun 9 Sep, 2007 09:22 pm
justalurker wrote:
Other than the Clack control boards that were sold that don't allow the flexibility in settings as later boards do?

You seem to have forgotten that with that board the computer automatically sets the length of each cycle position of a regeneration. The other board allows the selection of one of a large number of preprogrammed programs by number. Dealers have the choice of either board.
0 Replies

justalurker

Sun 9 Sep, 2007 10:37 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Dealers have the choice of either board.

The customers did not have a choice Shocked
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:46 am
Oh, OK, tell us the benefits of both. Then tell us why you think the customer would want one over the other.

When you bought yours, there was only one board. As more dealers asked for the ability to change the length of time of various cycle positions, Clack came out with the other board. As far as I know, a lot of dealers didn't like the change and there have been two versions since.
0 Replies

justalurker

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
Oh, OK, tell us the benefits of both. Then tell us why you think the customer would want one over the other.

OK, when the customer pays they deserve the right to be fully informed as to the options of what they are buying and not to have the decision of the item's included or omitted features arbitrarily determined by the seller for their own good AND to make the decision on the options they pay for and get.

The difference is that at least one version of the Clack WS-1 does not have the programming flexibility that you bellow is superior to a Fleck or Autotrol when in fact that version's programming is not more, and maybe less, flexible.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:19 pm
justalurker wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:

justalurker wrote:
OK, when the customer pays they deserve the right to be fully informed as to the options of what they are buying and not to have the decision of the item's included or omitted features arbitrarily determined by the seller for their own good AND to make the decision on the options they pay for and get.

I'll take that as you not knowing any benefits and going on about nothing but... The customer does not know one program from another and there is no reason they should. Plus, they aren't paying the dealer for an education in water softener programming so as they would be able to know what program to select out of the numerous programs to choose from.

justalurker wrote:
The difference is that at least one version of the Clack WS-1 does not have the programming flexibility that you bellow is superior to a Fleck or Autotrol when in fact that version's programming is not more, and maybe less, flexible.

Wrong. Like I said previously, the computer selects or the dealer inputs a program number into the COMPUTER; the number of minutes will be damned near identical in either case.

BTW, you'd need to learn a lot more about softeners before you could get into this type of programming.
0 Replies

justalurker

Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:34 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
The customer does not know one program from another and there is no reason they should. Plus, they aren't paying the dealer for an education in water softener programming so as they would be able to know what program to select out of the numerous programs to choose from.

If the customer has no need to know then how do they become the self-sufficient do-it-yourselfers that you say make up all of your sales?

So, unwilling to educate your customers they are dependent on you and only you for answers? That sounds like "captive and proprietary" not unlike Culligan, Kinetico, or Rainsoft. But you denounce proprietary purchases as stupid and rip-offs and wasting money.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 11 Sep, 2007 09:11 pm
justalurker wrote:
If the customer has no need to know then how do they become the self-sufficient do-it-yourselfers that you say make up all of your sales?

You're going on about nothing again. See below.

justalurker wrote:
So, unwilling to educate your customers they are dependent on you and only you for answers? That sounds like "captive and proprietary" not unlike Culligan, Kinetico, or Rainsoft. But you denounce proprietary purchases as stupid and rip-offs and wasting money.

No they aren't dependent on me. I send my customers all the information they need to program and maintain their softener or filter so if something happens to me they aren't going to become orphans. And they don't have to buy parts from me if they don't want to.

BTW, you really need to learn more about this programming, you're working under incorrect assumptions. Hint... go back to where I asked you to state the benefits of each board.
0 Replies