has or had?

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:50 pm
This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game, in Italy we don't play baseball at all. (I'm sure the present perfect is ok, even though you are actually seeing the game and you say you've never seen a baseball game)
- Now I'm out of the stadium... That game was awesome, I [have/had] never seen a baseball game , in Italy we don't...
- Now I'm on the way home... That game was awesome, I [have/had] never seen a baseball game , in Italy we don't...
- Now I'm at home... That game was awesome, I [have/had] never seen a baseball game , in Italy we don't...
- Now I'm going to bed... That game was awesome, I [have/had] never seen a baseball game , in Italy we don't...
- Now I just woke up... Yesterday, that game, it was awesome. I [have/had] never seen a baseball game , in Italy we don't...

Should I use 'has' or 'had' in each of the above sentences?

Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 474 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:06 am
Could somebody please reply to my query?

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:08 am
All of the other sentences should use "had" since the game is over and all references should be past tense.

"I have never seen a game" would be incorrect if you have seen one.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:11 am
Many thanks.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:22 am
1. This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game, in Italy we don't play baseball at all.

2. This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game in Italy ; we don't play baseball at all.

If the sentences are punctuated differently as shown above, would the verb still be 'had'?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:54 am
I would be grateful if someone could respond to my query.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:31 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
1. This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game, in Italy we don't play baseball at all.

2. This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game in Italy ; we don't play baseball at all.

If the sentences are punctuated differently as shown above, would the verb still be 'had'?

I don't follow your question, Yoong Liat. There is no 'had' in either of your examples.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 07:45 pm
JTT wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

I don't follow your question, Yoong Liat. There is no 'had' in either of your examples.
All of the other sentences should use "had" since the game is over and all references should be past tense.

This is Parados's answer to my question: "I have never seen a game" would be incorrect if you have seen one.

Parados said that the verb should be 'had'. As a follow-up, I punctuated the sentences differently and wonder 'have' should be used.

I hope it is clear to you now.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:23 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:

Now I get it. Maybe it'd help if I read things more closely, eh?

The present perfect contains within it a strong feeling/meaning of "up to now" so you could use it while you were still watching the game.

This baseball game is awesome. I've never seen a baseball game before; in Italy we don't play baseball at all.

After that, the past perfect or the simple past could be used.

That baseball game was awesome. I'd never seen a baseball game [before last night/before this game]. In Italy we don't play baseball at all.
0 Replies