oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 12:43 pm
revel wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
How Long Must the Senate Be in Recess Before a President
May Make a Recess Appointment?

The Constitution does not specify the length oftime that the Senate must be in recess before the President may make a recess appointment. Over the last century, as shorter recesses have become more commonplace, Attorneys General and the Office of Legal Counsel have offered differing views on this issue. Most recently, in 1993, a Department of Justice brief implied that the President may make a recess appointment during a recessof more than three days.

Appointments made during short recesses (less than 30 days),
however, have sometimes aroused controversy, and they may involve a political cost for the President. Controversy has been particularly acute in instances where Senators perceive that the President is using the recess appointment process to circumvent the confirmation process for a nominee who is opposed in the Senate.

From Frequently asked questions about recess appointments

A weekend doesn't count. So there will be no recess appointment until at least December. And not even then, if the Dems choose not to allow him to do so.

Cycloptichorn

Looks like anything longer than three days counts. I had thought three days would count, thus my use of the term "long weekend".

Still, I don't think the Democrats really want to limit all their remaining recesses to 3 days from now on.

I think the democrats could hold out until Bush leaves office if it meant no more of those recess appointments sliding through.

I don't think the Democrats are really interested in conducting elaborate schemes to try to thwart Bush's Constitutional powers.

If Bush makes a recess appointment, I expect the Democrats will make a huge show of public outrage, but I think that'll be about it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
The word is out: the next attorney general will be Harriet Miers.

It is interesting that Bush said that the Dems dragged Alberto through the mud. But isn't that appropriate considering Alberto dragged the constitution through the mud?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:22 pm
Advocate wrote:
The word is out: the next attorney general will be Harriet Miers.

Really???

Advocate wrote:
It is interesting that Bush said that the Dems dragged Alberto through the mud. But isn't that appropriate considering Alberto dragged the constitution through the mud?

My big objection to Gonzales is all the innocent people whose execution he rubberstamped while working for Bush in Texas.

I still don't know why the Democrats never focused on that instead of fussing over wiretaps.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:21 pm
I have been reading about the whole recess appointment thing and I really don't see the big deal because apparently recess appointees are only appointed until the end of the Senate session and then must go before the senate. I have been thinking they are just appointed for life (judges) without having to be vetted by the Senate.

However, it would be a big deal if the Senate was to go on recess and then Bush appointed another Bush yes man/woman in order to impede the investigations going on right now.

In that case, I bet you anything the democrats stick to their guns and not go on any long recesses.

As for the wiretaps thing; it seems the democrats already caved on that; mores the pity.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 03:08 pm
Rejuvanate . Revive
"The unexpected resignation of Gonzales provides a truly critical opportunity to restore real oversight to our government, to provide advocates of the rule of law with a quite potent weapon to compel adherence to the law and, more importantly, to expose and bring accountability for prior lawbreaking. All of the investigations and scandals, currently stalled hopelessly, can be dramatically and rapidly advanced with an independent Attorney General at the helm of the DOJ.

That is not going to happen if the Democrats allow the confirmation of one of the ostensibly less corrupt and "establishment-respected" members of the Bush circle -- Michael Chertoff or Fred Fielding or Paul Clement or some Bush appointee along those lines. The new Attorney General must be someone who is not part of that rotted circle at all -- even if they are supposedly part of the less rotted branches -- since it is that circle which ought to be the subject of multiple DOJ investigations."
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/08/27/gonzales/index.html
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:05 pm
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

If the Democrats try to run the Senate with just a minimal group of Democrats, all the Republicans would need to do is show up in larger numbers and they could cause a lot of mischief with their newfound "voting majority".
No, they couldn't. Its called a quorum. You might want to look it up. The Senate is in session but it doesn't have a quorum so can't conduct business if any present member opposes that business and calls for a quorum.

The Republicans aren't that far in the minority. I think they could manage a quorum if they all showed up and added their numbers to a small number of Democrats.

And if not, I believe that if the Senate is in session and there isn't a quorum, they can have absent members arrested and delivered to the Capitol. Would the Democrats give the Republicans an opportunity to have them arrested and dragged to the Capitol in public?

And if there isn't a quorum in four days, what's to stop Bush from saying the Senate is "technically in recess" and making his recess appointment?

Where did you people learn civics?

Quorum requires that 51 Senators be present and say "Aye" when their name is called. Unless Democrats are willing to answer the quorum call there is no quorum. Even if by some chance a quorum was achieved, the presiding officer can recognize a democrat to speak which causes a filibuster which requires 60 votes to stop.

Arrested? Where did you get this silly idea? From Texas? Texas is NOT the US Senate.

What can stop Bush is the fact that the Senate is ACTUALLY conducting business with an open quorum call. The constitution is what would prevent Bush. If he wishes to ignore the constitution, I guess he could but the person would not be able to take the offiice without violating the very constitution Bush swore to uphold.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:06 pm
revel wrote:
I have been reading about the whole recess appointment thing and I really don't see the big deal because apparently recess appointees are only appointed until the end of the Senate session and then must go before the senate. I have been thinking they are just appointed for life (judges) without having to be vetted by the Senate.

However, it would be a big deal if the Senate was to go on recess and then Bush appointed another Bush yes man/woman in order to impede the investigations going on right now.

In that case, I bet you anything the democrats stick to their guns and not go on any long recesses.

As for the wiretaps thing; it seems the democrats already caved on that; mores the pity.

The Congressional session is a 2 year event. It would expire when the next elected Congress takes office in January of 2009.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:37 pm
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

If the Democrats try to run the Senate with just a minimal group of Democrats, all the Republicans would need to do is show up in larger numbers and they could cause a lot of mischief with their newfound "voting majority".
No, they couldn't. Its called a quorum. You might want to look it up. The Senate is in session but it doesn't have a quorum so can't conduct business if any present member opposes that business and calls for a quorum.

The Republicans aren't that far in the minority. I think they could manage a quorum if they all showed up and added their numbers to a small number of Democrats.

And if not, I believe that if the Senate is in session and there isn't a quorum, they can have absent members arrested and delivered to the Capitol. Would the Democrats give the Republicans an opportunity to have them arrested and dragged to the Capitol in public?

And if there isn't a quorum in four days, what's to stop Bush from saying the Senate is "technically in recess" and making his recess appointment?

Where did you people learn civics?

Quorum requires that 51 Senators be present and say "Aye" when their name is called. Unless Democrats are willing to answer the quorum call there is no quorum.

Seems to me that the Republicans can contribute 49 of those 51 Senators. How many Democrats were planned to be present in this hypothetical skeleton senate session?

parados wrote:
Even if by some chance a quorum was achieved, the presiding officer can recognize a democrat to speak which causes a filibuster which requires 60 votes to stop.

Arrested? Where did you get this silly idea? From Texas? Texas is NOT the US Senate.

I got it from Wikipedia. After your previous message I double checked to verify my assumption that it only required 51 to reach quorum. That article said that the Senate was much like Texas in that missing legislators could be arrested and dragged back to the legislature in order to achieved quorum.

Note:

A prominent example of quorum-busting occurred in 2003, when the Texas House of Representatives was going to vote on a redistricting bill that would have favored the Republicans in the state. The House Democrats, certain of defeat if a quorum were present, chose not to be present in the House that day, but instead took a plane to Oklahoma, preventing the bill from passing due to a lack of a quorum. Legislative bodies often have rules to discourage quorum-busting. [b]In many U.S. legislative bodies, such as the United States Senate and House of Representatives, if there is no quorum present a call of the house could be ordered, which would cause absent members to be arrested and brought to the floor of the body[/b]. [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum[/URL]

Now whether the wiki article is correct is another thing. But I'd bet Bush would be more than happy to publicly arrest Democrats who were thwarting his ability to make a recess appointment.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:43 pm
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
[Quorum requires that 51 Senators be present and say "Aye" when their name is called. Unless Democrats are willing to answer the quorum call there is no quorum.

Seems to me that the Republicans can contribute 49 of those 51 Senators. How many Democrats were planned to be present in this hypothetical skeleton senate session?
Someone can be on the floor but not say "Aye". 49 is NOT 51 no matter how much you wish it is. 51 have to answer the roll call. But then you completely ignored my point that 49 votes is not 60 so the GOP could never overcome a filibuster. In order to get a cloture vote it requires a two day waiting period after the cloture petition is signed. The Vice president will have to oversee the Senate during that period since if the President pro tempore, a Dem, oversees he can refuse to acknowledge it. In any 2 day time period the GOP will no longer have the majority.

Quote:

parados wrote:
Even if by some chance a quorum was achieved, the presiding officer can recognize a democrat to speak which causes a filibuster which requires 60 votes to stop.

I got it from Wikipedia. After your previous message I double checked to verify my assumption that it only required 51 to reach quorum. That article said that the Senate was much like Texas in that missing legislators could be arrested and dragged back to the legislature in order to achieved quorum.

Note:

A prominent example of quorum-busting occurred in 2003, when the Texas House of Representatives was going to vote on a redistricting bill that would have favored the Republicans in the state. The House Democrats, certain of defeat if a quorum were present, chose not to be present in the House that day, but instead took a plane to Oklahoma, preventing the bill from passing due to a lack of a quorum. Legislative bodies often have rules to discourage quorum-busting. [b]In many U.S. legislative bodies, such as the United States Senate and House of Representatives, if there is no quorum present a call of the house could be ordered, which would cause absent members to be arrested and brought to the floor of the body[/b]. [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorum[/URL]

Now whether the wiki article is correct is another thing. But I'd bet Bush would be more than happy to publicly arrest Democrats who were thwarting his ability to make a recess appointment.
You just don't get it. The rule can be found here..
http://rules.senate.gov/senaterules/rule06.php

Now, if all the Dems show up when the sergaent at arms requests them which party has the majority?

It might be a nice piece of political theater if the Dems keep the Senate in session but the GOP would never have a majority to conduct any business. The GOP would look rather silly if they introduce legislation in that time period, try to force it through and then end up having to filibuster their own legislation to prevent it from being amended.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:53 pm
Quote:
But I'd bet Bush would be more than happy to publicly arrest Democrats who were thwarting his ability to make a recess appointment.

Bush can't arrest any congressional democrat. The courts would rather quickly put an end to any such arrests. I would be more than happy to cheer on the impeachment proceding that would quickly follow if Bush starts to arrest legislators.

It seems some people don't seem to even have rudimentary understanding of our government and how it works.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:38 pm
parados wrote:
Now, if all the Dems show up when the sergaent at arms requests them which party has the majority?

If they all show up each time the sergeant at arms requests them, so much for the notion of them going off on vacation while leaving the Senate in session.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
But I'd bet Bush would be more than happy to publicly arrest Democrats who were thwarting his ability to make a recess appointment.

Bush can't arrest any congressional democrat. The courts would rather quickly put an end to any such arrests.

Why? Would the courts be incapable of reading the rule that lets errant senators be arrested and brought to the Senate to fulfill quorum?

parados wrote:
I would be more than happy to cheer on the impeachment proceding that would quickly follow if Bush starts to arrest legislators.

Said impeachment would fail in the Senate due to the fact that Republicans understand that enforcing the law is not a high crime and misdemeanor, due to the fact that Republicans would realize that the arrests were due to the Democrats trying to prevent Bush from exercising his Constitutional powers to make a recess appointment, and due to the fact that the Democrats recently let Clinton off the hook for lying under oath (which is an actual impeachable offense).

parados wrote:
It seems some people don't seem to even have rudimentary understanding of our government and how it works.

Yep. Like the people who can't accept that Bush has the power to make recess appointments if Democratic extremists block a reasonable nominee.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:40 pm
The Dems can keep him from recess appointing ad infinitum if they so choose. I've already outlined how this is possible. The fact that you choose to ignore it is either a symbol of idiocy or mendacity on your part.

The rule allowing Senators to be 'compelled to arrive' isn't enforced at Bush's request, but at Harry Reid's. An important point which you seem to have missed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Dems can keep him from recess appointing ad infinitum if they so choose. I've already outlined how this is possible. The fact that you choose to ignore it is either a symbol of idiocy or mendacity on your part.

I've hardly ignored it. Are you suffering from reading comprehension problems? I've made a good number of posts on that topic here.

In particular, I've pointed out the reality that if the Democrats wish to play such tricks, they are going to all have to stay in Washington without any more vacations for the next year and a half (or however long it is til January 2009).

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The rule allowing Senators to be 'compelled to arrive' isn't enforced at Bush's request, but at Harry Reid's. An important point which you seem to have missed.

That's not what the rule says. It says it can be requested by a majority of senators who are present at the quorumless session.

If the Democrats choose to go off on vacation and leave a skeleton crew, they aren't necessarily going to be in the majority when the vote is held to decide whether absent senators will be arrested and dragged back to the Senate.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:23 pm
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I've hardly ignored it. Are you suffering from reading comprehension problems? I've made a good number of posts on that topic here.

In particular, I've pointed out the reality that if the Democrats wish to play such tricks, they are going to all have to stay in Washington without any more vacations for the next year and a half (or however long it is til January 2009).

Cycloptichorn wrote:

That's not what the rule says. It says it can be requested by a majority of senators who are present at the quorumless session.

If the Democrats choose to go off on vacation and leave a skeleton crew, they aren't necessarily going to be in the majority when the vote is held to decide whether absent senators will be arrested and dragged back to the Senate.

Scenario: Reid is the senator who stays, and he doesn't allow anything the Republicans say or do to come to the floor for a vote. If he won't allow it to be voted on, there's no majority which can compel anyone to attend.

Even if that scenario didn't work, it wouldn't be Bush - as you claimed - who would have the power to compel the Senators to attend.

C'mon, man, a child could figure this out.

Not that any of it matters, as he didn't recess appoint anyone and probably will not do so for the remainder of his short, pathetic term.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:41 pm
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

If they all show up each time the sergeant at arms requests them, so much for the notion of them going off on vacation while leaving the Senate in session.
They could take 10 days for all to get there or 30 days. The Sergeant at arms is the ONLY one empowered to bring them to the floor. They can't be arrested by anyone from the executive branch.

Quote:

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Bush can't arrest any congressional democrat. The courts would rather quickly put an end to any such arrests.

Why? Would the courts be incapable of reading the rule that lets errant senators be arrested and brought to the Senate to fulfill quorum?
Yes, the court could read the rule. It seems you can't. The rule doesn't give the president the power to arrest anyone. Nor does the rule give anyone the power to arrest Senators. It only allows for the Sergeant at Arms to be asked to compel them to appear.

Quote:

parados wrote:
I would be more than happy to cheer on the impeachment proceding that would quickly follow if Bush starts to arrest legislators.

Said impeachment would fail in the Senate due to the fact that Republicans understand that enforcing the law is not a high crime and misdemeanor, due to the fact that Republicans would realize that the arrests were due to the Democrats trying to prevent Bush from exercising his Constitutional powers to make a recess appointment, and due to the fact that the Democrats recently let Clinton off the hook for lying under oath (which is an actual impeachable offense).
Not only did you not read the rule you don't seem to understand the difference between a law and a congressional rule.

Quote:

parados wrote:

Yep. Like the people who can't accept that Bush has the power to make recess appointments if Democratic extremists block a reasonable nominee.
Bush has the power only when Congress is in recess. If Congress doesn't recess then Bush doesn't have the power. Congress is not mandated to recess by the law or any congressional rules. Let us know when Bush even bothers to nominate anyone. What would you say if Bush tries to get around the process by just doing a recess appointment and never nominating anyone.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Scenario: Reid is the senator who stays, and he doesn't allow anything the Republicans say or do to come to the floor for a vote. If he won't allow it to be voted on, there's no majority which can compel anyone to attend.

I don't think he'd be able to stop them from raising the point of an absence of quorum.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Even if that scenario didn't work, it wouldn't be Bush - as you claimed - who would have the power to compel the Senators to attend.

I don't think the sergeant at arms is expected to go personally hunt down each missing senator. I'm just assuming, but I'd think that would be handed over to the executive branch to enforce.

Regardless, it'll be up to someone to enforce.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not that any of it matters, as he didn't recess appoint anyone and probably will not do so for the remainder of his short, pathetic term.

Bush has done so before in the face of unreasonable Democratic opposition (Bolton as UN ambassador).

If the Democrats prove unreasonable with this nominee, I'd say it was fairly likely he would do so again.

I doubt the Democrats would resort to staying in session continuously, but if they do, they'll have to stick around town except for 3-day breaks. It's unlikely that the Republicans will let the Democrats get away with leaving the Senate in session while they go on vacation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:59 pm
parados wrote:
The Sergeant at arms is the ONLY one empowered to bring them to the floor. They can't be arrested by anyone from the executive branch.

The rules expect the sergeant at arms to compel errant senators all by himself without any aid? What is he expected to do if a senator physically resists?

parados wrote:
It only allows for the Sergeant at Arms to be asked to compel them to appear.

And how is he expected to compel them?

parados wrote:
Bush has the power only when Congress is in recess. If Congress doesn't recess then Bush doesn't have the power. Congress is not mandated to recess by the law or any congressional rules.

And if the Democrats go on vacation without recessing Congress, Republicans can cause trouble for them.

If the Democrats want to keep the Senate in session continuously, they better cancel all their vacations.

parados wrote:
Let us know when Bush even bothers to nominate anyone.

Sure. If I'm online when it happens and it hasn't been mentioned by someone else.

parados wrote:
What would you say if Bush tries to get around the process by just doing a recess appointment and never nominating anyone.

Not a whole lot.

But I expect that Bush will try confirmation hearings and will only turn to a recess appointment if his nominee is blocked without good reason.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:05 pm
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You haven't pointed to any reality. You have claimed the President could arrest Senators. There is no such thing in the rule.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

You keep claiming they would be arrested and dragged back. There is no such provision in the rule.

Of course in your scenario the GOP wouldn't get a vacation. They would be the ones attempting to play politics. But as has been pointed out to those that don't understand the most basic civics and aren't willing to educate themselves the GOP wouldn't have a majority because of the cloture rule. Yes, they could request a forum call. Yes, they could vote to compel Senators to appear. But they can't force anyone to arrest the Senators nor can they force a timeline of when they would appear.

Of course the real chink in your plan is the Senate calender. Business is not considered if it is not on the calender. The calender is set by the majority party. The calender could simply be set to discuss a bill and that bill must be discussed until a cloture vote ends the discussion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:22 pm
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
The Sergeant at arms is the ONLY one empowered to bring them to the floor. They can't be arrested by anyone from the executive branch.

The rules expect the sergeant at arms to compel errant senators all by himself without any aid? What is he expected to do if a senator physically resists?
The sergaent at arms controls the capitol police which are NOT part of the executive branch.

Quote:

parados wrote:
It only allows for the Sergeant at Arms to be asked to compel them to appear.

And how is he expected to compel them?

In case you still don't understand it...

GEORGE BUSH IS NOT THE SERGEANT AT ARMS
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:35 pm
parados wrote:
You haven't pointed to any reality.

Yes I have. The reality is that Republicans could cause the Democrats a headache if they abandoned Washington with the Senate in session.

parados wrote:
You keep claiming they would be arrested and dragged back. There is no such provision in the rule.

Yes there is. That is what is meant by having the sergeant at arms compel them to attend.

parados wrote:
Yes, they could request a forum call. Yes, they could vote to compel Senators to appear. But they can't force anyone to arrest the Senators nor can they force a timeline of when they would appear.

So the sergeant at arms might just ignore his obligation to retrieve the errant senators?
0 Replies