Errors in sentences

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:58 pm
I got married at the age of 19. I was very young then and my husband was a pre-university student while I did not even complete my primary school education. My parents did not think well of our marriage. After getting married, my husband dotes on me but I keep losing my temper with him.

Are the words in bold incorrect? Are there any errors in the above sentences?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 359 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 12:56 am
I got married is rather casual and slangy. I was married is better.

I was very young then... Weren't we all at 19? Is the idea that you were much younger than your husband? If so, you should express that more clearly.

The words in bold are "correct" to a certain extent, but the sentence suddenly takes the reader from the past tense to the present in a jarring way. Better to prepare the reader e.g. by subsituting "Now that we are married..."
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 04:13 am
Thanks, Contrex.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:29 pm
I was very young then and my husband was a pre-university student while I did not even complete my primary school education.

I think these commas help clarify the sentence.

I was very young then, and my husband was a pre-university student, while I did not even complete my primary school education.
0 Replies