guarantee vs warranty

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:46 am
Is there any difference between 'warranty' and 'guarantee'? When we buy a car, do they give us a warranty or a guarantee?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,342 • Replies: 20
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 12:35 pm
The words are often used carelessly as synonyms but in the UK they have distinct legal meanings...

A guarantee:

* Is usually free

* It's a promise to sort out any defects with a product or service within a fixed period of time

* It's a legally binding contract, even if you didn't pay for it

* It must explain how to go about making a claim in a way that is easy to understand

* It should add to, not take away from, your rights under consumer law

* It works whether or not you have a warranty

A warranty:

* A warranty is like an insurance policy for which you must pay a premium.

* Sometimes it's called an 'extended guarantee'.

* It might cover a longer period than a guarantee, and it might cover a wider range of problems.

* A warranty is a legal contract, so you can take the company to court if they don't honour it.

* The terms of the contract should be clear and fair.

* Having a warranty doesn't diminish your rights under consumer law.

* A warranty can run alongside a guarantee.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:56 pm
Thanks, Contrex, for the detailed reply.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 01:14 am
A brief addendum:

guarantee: Can be used as either a noun or a verb.*
warranty: Used as a noun only

*Example of usage in a non-legal context: "Although you have the reputation for giving dull parties, I would attend one if you would guarantee a gaggle of giggling girls, a line of dancing boys, and all the champagne I could pour down my massive maw."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 01:23 am
Aa wrote:
warranty: Used as a noun only

But if you look in a dictionary you'll find that there is a verb "to warrant".
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 01:44 am
Yes, of course "to warrant" is a verb, but the querist asked only about the word "warranty" itself, not all its related forms.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:06 am
Aa wrote:
Yes, of course "to warrant" is a verb, but the querist asked only about the word "warranty" itself, not all its related forms.

Indeed. I was not suggesting that you made an error! However, what is a "querist"? Shocked
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 04:05 am
Hi Contrex

Your reply fits what I wanted to know.

Regarding 'querist', I too was surprised to see such a word. It seems there is no such word. But when I referred to the dictionary, I found the following definition:

One who inquires, or asks questions

Best regards
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 04:53 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Regarding 'querist', I too was surprised to see such a word. It seems there is no such word. But when I referred to the dictionary, I found the following definition:

One who inquires, or asks questions

I have learned two things...

(1) That there is such a word as 'querist'.

(2) That I should check carefully before posting that another person has made an error!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:49 am
Hi Contrex

It's true. Sometimes what we think is wrong is correct. Whenever I come across a word which I do not know, I'll always refer to a dictionary.

I often see the word 'poster', which is not found in my dictionaries. I wonder why it is so commonly used.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:35 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
I often see the word 'poster', which is not found in my dictionaries. I wonder why it is so commonly used.

There speaks a prescriptivist!

You should look further. The American Heritage Dictionary gives:

poster

NOUN:

1. A large, usually printed placard, bill, or announcement, often illustrated, that is posted to advertise or publicize something.

2. An artistic work, often a reproduction of an original painting or photograph, printed on a large sheet of paper.

2. One that posts bills or notices.

One posts entries in ledgers and notices on noticeboards (online or not)
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:43 am
Hi Contrex

I think it is BrE vs AmE.

If you refer to a dictionary on British English, I believe the word is not there.

It is not in my dictionaries.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:45 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Contrex

Many web and computer terms are from AmE, and, I am afraid that, like it or not, we must bow to the inevitable.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 08:51 am
contrex wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Contrex

Many web and computer terms are from AmE, and, I am afraid that, like it or not, we must bow to the inevitable.

I agree with you. I notice that some words which were originally used in American English have been accepted by the British. For example, 'realize' was once the American version, but now the British have accepted it as the preferred spelling for 'realise'.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
For example, 'realize' was once the American version, but now the British have accepted it as the preferred spelling for 'realise'.

I doubt that very much! What evidence do you have for that assertion? To use an idiomatic phrase, it's news to me! The -ize versions of certain words usually spelt -ise have always been permitted alternatives in BrE but to my knowledge, they have not yet taken over!

Quote:
realize, UK USUALLY realise

- Cambridge Advanced learner's Dictionary

About your previous point concerning words not being found in BrE dictionaries, you are aware that new editions are published periodically?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 09:21 am
Hi Contrex

1. realize (BrE also -ise)
(Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

2. realise See realize
realize In BRIT, also use realise
(Collins Cobuild Dictionary for Advanced Learners)

3. realize also -ise BrE
(Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 10:09 am
You have not shown that "realize" is now the accepted spelling in BrE -- it is not -- merely that is an accepted spelling, which it always has been.

That you have made such an error should serve as an awful warning of blind dependence upon dictionaries!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
contrex wrote:
You have not shown that "realize" is now the accepted spelling in BrE -- it is not -- merely that is an accepted spelling, which it always has been.

That you have made such an error should serve as an awful warning of blind dependence upon dictionaries!

When I was in Grade 1 many, many years ago, I was taught that words ending in 'ize' was the American version. They include 'realise'.

I've a copy of Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary, which is a very old edition. The word 'realize' is not in it. Instead, only 'realise' can be found.
0 Replies

Mr Nice

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 12:23 pm
Thanks guys.

I learnt a lot from you all.

I got :

- the difference between guarantee and warranty
- querist and
- poster.

I at first thought that "poster" is Indonesian.

How about "durian"? Is that word originated from English?

Please correct me if I make mistakes.
I'm learning English.

Thank you very much.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:03 pm
Mr Nice wrote:
Thanks guys.

I at first thought that "poster" is (should be 'was' because of 'thought') Indonesian.

How about "durian"? Is that word originated from English?

Thank you very much.

Durian is from the Malay language, from duri 'thorn'. It dates back to the 16th century.

Durian cannot be found in most dictionaries.
0 Replies