Homosexuality v. Divorce - Sin is sin, isn't it?

neologist

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:37 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
The Christian view point is only relavant to a Christian. I don't need to understand it to form my opinion on gay marriage. What we commonly associate marriage with has many roots in pagan cerimonies. Let's not forget that Gay Marriage is older than christianity itself. If anyone has altered it's definition it's not the gays.

T
K
O
Homosexuality may be older than christianity. Show some evidence that gay marriage existed as a legal entity before the 20th century.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
Linkat wrote:
You are being closed minded in that you would not even consider or listen to a Christian viewpoint. I'm simply saying being "right" whichever the "right" side is will not convince some one. Listening to them and working with them and experiencing them personally allows you to understand where that person is coming from - you can still disagree, but you simply say this biased or bigoted. Open your heart even if you don't agree and try to understand where some one with a difference of opinion comes from - only then will understanding happen on both sides.

On another thread I wrote about a documentary called blue eyed where white children got to experience bigotry - only then can you fully understand what it is like.

I don't fully agree with this, but understand - the thought is those against gay marriage say yes gays have the same rights they can marry just like straight people - both can marry those of the opposite sex so there is no denying of rights. Also, many that oppose marrying of same sex do support a proponent to have civil unions as long as if a church does not believe in gay marriages; they do not have to marry a same sex couple. Only the very extremes do not support this at all. I think it is more the marriage word that bothers most conservatives - marriage to them is between a man and woman whereas a civil union could be between two same sex couples. To me Bush is a more extreme conservative so it doesn't surprise me he would not support this.

Mismi40 - I think we agree on the love of the Bible - I also love it intellectually - I love reading the various interpretations and how one comes up with them. Its interesting all the different possibilities and different thoughts processes. I sometimes wonder and feel it was intentionally written in this way - one to cover appeal for all sorts of people and two in sense it keeps the Book alive - whether you believe in it or not - it certainly even makes non-believers discuss it.

Where did I say I wasn't willing to listen? I suppose though, you are semi-right. For the most part, I don't need to listen to a Christian viewpoint to know where they are coming from. They are coming from the "view" of the Bible. That is what is it to be Christian, after all. And you are absolutely correct in the respect that I am unwilling to accept the "view" of a 300 year old book. It should not be used to form public law. It simply does not apply to modern life.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:24 pm
I don't think it is so surprising that Homosexual marriages were before Christianity - seeing that Christianity was not actually defined until the apostles began the Church sometime in the 1st Century AD. I knew homosexuality existed because of Sodom and Gommorah and I know it had to be before Jesus. I am sure there are more things than just the Bible that verifies that. Who says it is a modern issue? It has apparently been an issue for a REALLY long time.

But still in all...just like Deist TKO says...he does not have to have a Christians viewpoint to form his opinion. Most people should come to their own conclusions about what they believe and live it. But - we are still allowed to share our viewpoints...and should be able to do so without getting too riled up anyway!

The Bible is much older than 300 years old. The New Testament was Canonized in 375 A.D., and I know that is not the point. But I absolutely do believe it is as relevant today as it ever was. Beautiful truths there...it certainly is relevant to me.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:05 pm
neologist wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
The Christian view point is only relavant to a Christian. I don't need to understand it to form my opinion on gay marriage. What we commonly associate marriage with has many roots in pagan cerimonies. Let's not forget that Gay Marriage is older than christianity itself. If anyone has altered it's definition it's not the gays.

T
K
O
Homosexuality may be older than christianity. Show some evidence that gay marriage existed as a legal entity before the 20th century.

Ten seconds and wikipedia will give a quick elementary history lesson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:06 pm
mismi40 wrote:

The Bible is much older than 300 years old. The New Testament was Canonized in 375 A.D., and I know that is not the point. But I absolutely do believe it is as relevant today as it ever was. Beautiful truths there...it certainly is relevant to me.

So when was the last time you stoned a child?

T
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:31 pm
I didn't go on the crusades, I didn't stone children...but I chance it to say that neither did the Christians in the Bible either. People take good things and screw them up every day. That is not the Bible's fault. There are certainly things that apply to today that are in scripture. The concepts are beautiful and the teachings of Christ really are timeless. I live it every day. You don't have to believe as I do. I certainly am not trying to make you believe as I do. There are some people who claim to be Christian that use ways I never would - but I can't really speak for their hearts...as I would never try to speak for yours.

And I warred with myself whether to even post anything - the comment was niether constructive nor sincere in its desire for undertanding of me or what I had to say, but I am not scared of you or what you say. There does come a point with some folks that it is useless to discuss any thing else. It is wasted breath.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:06 pm
mismi40 wrote:
It has apparently been an issue for a REALLY long time.

Homosexuality has been part of life for a REALLY long time. It's been an ISSUE for a somewhat lesser period of time.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:48 pm
Depends on your point of view Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:11 pm
mismi40 wrote:

Certainly the Bible has some good stuff. Unfortunately it also comes with the baggage of a lot of absolutely horrific passages such as the treatment of the Midianites in Numbers 31.

I don't personally care what people believe so long as they do not attempt to force their particular interpretation of ancient religious texts upon the general population.

Last November, Arizona just narrowly defeated a mean-spirited proposition to amend the state constitution that read as follows.

Quote:
"To preserve and protect marriage in this state, only a union between one man and one woman shall be valid and recognized as a marriage by this state or its political subdivisions and no legal status for unmarried persons shall be created or recognized by this state or its political subdivisions that is similar to that of marriage."

In the state of Arizona there are counties and municipalities that currently grant medical benefits to dependent "unmarried domestic partners". The Protect Marriage Arizona initiative would have prohibited recognizing these domestic partners whether they be same sex or not with the net effect being the loss of medical benefits to many families and their children.

It is a shame that Christians such as the ones that sponsored and supported this bill don't pay more attention to verses such as "Do unto others as you would have them do to you". Luke 6:31 .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
Coolwhip wrote:

real life wrote:

Most critics of the Bible that I have encountered profess to know the Bible teaching, but it doesn't take long to find their actual knowledge of the scriptures is superficial at best, and usually 'a mile wide, but a millimeter deep'.

How is you knowledge on the Koran or other sacred scriptures? Do you think everyone should read everything in order to make up their mind? If I wrote a 5000 page book on my new religion 'coolwhipism' and wanted you to believe it, would you bother reading it? Would you bother reading a book from a writer you find questionable at best?

If I didn't read it, then I wouldn't pretend that I knew what it said.

That was my point.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:56 am
mesquite wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

Certainly the Bible has some good stuff. Unfortunately it also comes with the baggage of a lot of absolutely horrific passages such as the treatment of the Midianites in Numbers 31.

I don't personally care what people believe so long as they do not attempt to force their particular interpretation of ancient religious texts upon the general population.

Last November, Arizona just narrowly defeated a mean-spirited proposition to amend the state constitution that read as follows.

Quote:
"To preserve and protect marriage in this state, only a union between one man and one woman shall be valid and recognized as a marriage by this state or its political subdivisions and no legal status for unmarried persons shall be created or recognized by this state or its political subdivisions that is similar to that of marriage."

In the state of Arizona there are counties and municipalities that currently grant medical benefits to dependent "unmarried domestic partners". The Protect Marriage Arizona initiative would have prohibited recognizing these domestic partners whether they be same sex or not with the net effect being the loss of medical benefits to many families and their children.

It is a shame that Christians such as the ones that sponsored and supported this bill don't pay more attention to verses such as "Do unto others as you would have them do to you". Luke 6:31 .

I thought you were all about separation of church and state?

Why are you saying that Christians should vote in accordance with a New Testament passage?

Is it only when you agree with it that violating the wall between church and state becomes acceptable?

This is becoming a very common strategy for liberals in America. Very selective though. Same thing they have been accusing conservatives of, BTW.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:32 am
real life wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:

real life wrote:

Most critics of the Bible that I have encountered profess to know the Bible teaching, but it doesn't take long to find their actual knowledge of the scriptures is superficial at best, and usually 'a mile wide, but a millimeter deep'.

How is you knowledge on the Koran or other sacred scriptures? Do you think everyone should read everything in order to make up their mind? If I wrote a 5000 page book on my new religion 'coolwhipism' and wanted you to believe it, would you bother reading it? Would you bother reading a book from a writer you find questionable at best?

If I didn't read it, then I wouldn't pretend that I knew what it said.

That was my point.

what crap. Non-christians have generally a much better understanding of christianity than christians have on non-christian beliefs.

T
K
O
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

Quote:

Why are you saying that Christians should vote in accordance with a New Testament passage?

Is it only when you agree with it that violating the wall between church and state becomes acceptable?

This is becoming a very common strategy for liberals in America. Very selective though. Same thing they have been accusing conservatives of, BTW.

you obviously misunderstood. i think the point is that since they're going to vote and base their choices on the bible, they should take that phrase into account.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 12:42 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

Quote:

you obviously misunderstood. i think the point is that since they're going to vote and base their choices on the bible, they should take that phrase into account.

Then you validate my point.

As long as liberals can decide which scripture should or should not be emphasized, or employed to promote a policy ----

--- then political action based on religious tenet is ok with them.

But if someone ELSE decides what religious principle should guide public action, then liberals are all AGAINST any such church / state corrollation.

They oppose 'mixing of church and state' ONLY if the result is one that they do not favor.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 01:04 pm
real life wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

Quote:

Then you validate my point.

As long as liberals can decide which scripture should or should not be emphasized, or employed to promote a policy ----

--- then political action based on religious tenet is ok with them.

But if someone ELSE decides what religious principle should guide public action, then liberals are all AGAINST any such church / state corrollation.

They oppose 'mixing of church and state' ONLY if the result is one that they do not favor.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
I'd like to hear of an example where the mixing of church and state was benificial.

T
K
O
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:29 pm
vSin what is sin but a concept devised by
The founders of religion, every religion, to introduce fear in an attempt to keep their flock from straying. It is no different from Bush's cry that the terrorists are at our gates to cover his fiasco in Iraq.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
neologist wrote:
The true God, by definition, would be incapable of sin.
False! By definition god is the creator of all things, thus god must have created sin.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 05:47 pm
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

Quote:

You betcha!

real life wrote:

I said no such thing. The remark that seems to have gotten your shorts all in a bunch was directed to a very specific group of self righteous zealots, Christians such as the ones that sponsored and supported this bill. For that group which is hell bent on imposing their particular biblical interpretations upon the rest of us, I was using a biblical quote.

real life wrote:

Pure straw.

real life wrote:

I'll bet you check under the bed at night to see if there's a liberal waiting to get you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 06:43 pm
BOO!!
0 Replies