Homosexuality v. Divorce - Sin is sin, isn't it?

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:20 am
So I was wondering... One of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not commit adultery." And Jesus provides the definition of adultery as having relations with an already-married woman (person).

The Bible does not allow for divorce. So why is it that so many people condemn homos for being gay, but there isn't the slightest uproar concerning the massive number of divorces and consequent adultery?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,252 • Replies: 95
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
There are hypocrites in every religion, aren't there?

Your bible does not allow for divorces, and it applies to your faith,
but not everyone shares your faith either.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:54 am
Re: Homosexuality v. Divorce - Sin is sin, isn't it?
USAFHokie80 wrote:
So I was wondering... One of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not commit adultery." And Jesus provides the definition of adultery as having relations with an already-married woman (person).

The Bible does not allow for divorce. So why is it that so many people condemn homos for being gay, but there isn't the slightest uproar concerning the massive number of divorces and consequent adultery?

Ah, so many misconceptions.............

So little time...............
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
According to RL, it's not the bible that's flawed, it's the people! All that exactly correct things you just said don't mean anything towards the books credibility! It's made of teflon!

Teflon
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:14 am
sin is sin - let your conscience decide. You can't be someone elses conscience. Most people know when they are doing wrong even if they won't admit it...even to themselves. We all rationalize our behavior - so sometimes we just have to let people make their own beds and lie in them, just as we do our own. Sounds like a list of cliche's. It IS a list of cliche's. oh well.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:15 am
Re: Homosexuality v. Divorce - Sin is sin, isn't it?
USAFHokie80 wrote:
The Bible does not allow for divorce.

Huh! How so?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:27 am
The Bible does not allow divorce is not completely accurate - it depends on the interpretation.

Each Christian denomination does believe slightly different things to how they interpret the Bible. Some Christian Churches allow gays to marry and support them and some don't. Some do not believe or support divorce or gays and will not allow a divorced person to marry in their church.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:29 am
mismi40 wrote:
sin is sin - let your conscience decide. You can't be someone elses conscience. Most people know when they are doing wrong even if they won't admit it...even to themselves. We all rationalize our behavior - so sometimes we just have to let people make their own beds and lie in them, just as we do our own. Sounds like a list of cliche's. It IS a list of cliche's. oh well.

hi mismi,

One has to wonder, when Hokie says

Quote:
Jesus provides the definition of adultery as.....

if he has even read Jesus' discussion of the subject, or if he is just repeating misconceptions he has heard elsewhere.

Likewise,

Quote:
The Bible does not allow....

reveals a lack of familiarity with the Bible teaching as well.

Most critics of the Bible that I have encountered profess to know the Bible teaching, but it doesn't take long to find their actual knowledge of the scriptures is superficial at best, and usually 'a mile wide, but a millimeter deep'.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
mismi40 wrote:
sin is sin - let your conscience decide. You can't be someone elses conscience. Most people know when they are doing wrong even if they won't admit it...even to themselves.

The problem is that gays can't be wed even if they feel okay with it. Someone else is making the rules. Someone with an agenda.

real life wrote:

Most critics of the Bible that I have encountered profess to know the Bible teaching, but it doesn't take long to find their actual knowledge of the scriptures is superficial at best, and usually 'a mile wide, but a millimeter deep'.

How is you knowledge on the Koran or other sacred scriptures? Do you think everyone should read everything in order to make up their mind? If I wrote a 5000 page book on my new religion 'coolwhipism' and wanted you to believe it, would you bother reading it? Would you bother reading a book from a writer you find questionable at best?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
Coolwhip wrote:

The problem is that gays can't be wed even if they feel okay with it. Someone else is making the rules. Someone with an agenda.

Sure gays can marry - they can legally marry in MA and in many churches as well.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:11 am
Linkat wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:

Sure gays can marry - they can legally marry in MA and in many churches as well.

I'm talking about in general. USAFH wondered why christians aren't in such 'moral outrage' over all the adultery when they usually go completely bonkers when they hear the words 'gay' and 'marriage' in the same sentence. Then mismi said its up it your own conscience weather it is a sin or not, but fact is that some people usually have the moral authority in any society.

I still don't believe that opposing gay marrage has anything to do with religion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:18 am
It's more of an emotional thing in the case of homosexuality, I think. Sin is sin, but we really don't equate stealing with murder, do we?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:12 pm
mismi40 wrote:

If you can't be someone else's conscience then I suppose you are against the government defining marraige.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:29 pm
real life - I struggle. There seems to be a fine line between sharing Scripture...even clarifying it. I know it is offensive to those who don't believe and I know why....

Isaiah 8:13-15 (New International Version)
13 The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy,
he is the one you are to fear,
he is the one you are to dread,
14 and he will be a sanctuary;
but for both houses of Israel he will be
a stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.
And for the people of Jerusalem he will be
a trap and a snare.
15 Many of them will stumble;
they will fall and be broken,
they will be snared and captured."

and again in

Luke 2:34: Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against.

No one wants to hear this...no one wants to think that there are certain things required other than just being good at heart and basically moral - even I struggle with it. I try to do good and serve at Church and at school because I think that if I do these things - God and those around me must think I am pretty decent and love me for what I do. But that is not so. He loves me because of his Son. Had Christ not died on the cross for my sins - I could and would not be acceptable to God. But Christ did die and because God allowed his son to die for me and because Christ willingly did it - I can be saved. But I must understand that I am - in fact - a sinner.

But there comes a point where it seems to exasperate folks. I think (and I know how much that is worth) that people truly do know deep down. They may not even realize it. But what it comes down to is the fact that they have to make the decision of whether they believe or not on their own. I want to lay what I believe to be true out...make it as clear as possible and then let that truth either grow where it will...or fall away. After all...it is not up to me to change their minds. Just to share what I know.

So sin is absolutely sin. I have lied - I know I am a sinner. I have broken pretty much every law in the ten commandments...I KNOW I am a sinner. And my sin is not above anyone elses...just because I have hated someone does not mean that it is any worse than lying...nor am I any better than someone who has actually murdered someone. I am still in need of the saving grace of God. So- whether it be homosexuality or divorce, if I have been called to do or to stay away from it within the boundary of God's Word, and I do not heed then it is sin.

2 Cents
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:41 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
mismi40 wrote:

If you can't be someone else's conscience then I suppose you are against the government defining marraige.

T
K
O

There is tension there for me Diest TKO. But just because I can't be someone elses conscience doesn't mean I can't say what I believe to be truth or seek to do what I feel to be right within the laws of God's Word and the laws of the Country and State I live in. All do what they believe to be right in their own eyes. I understand that. We absolutely should live as we believe to be right. But you have your point of reference and I have mine. It may or may not make a difference what I say or what you say...and yet we still need and should be free to say it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
Let's not forget God is a sinner too. There's plenty of God's Wrath referenced in the Bible.

There are plenty of things that people don't want to hear. Like when the world was no longer flat. Like when it's okay to view your own naked body, so that you may bathe (Black Plague reference). What you don't want to hear is that your book, your religion is no longer culturally relavant and as the light of science grows brighter, it can't hold a candle to it.

You're not sharing what you know, your sharing what you believe. It's dangerous to confuse the two.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:53 pm
Well..what I know and what I believe are the same thing to me. Why should it matter to you? You share what you believe and I bet you're pretty sure you know what you believe and believe what you know. Otherwise what is the point?

And you can be angry and not sin. So just because God had righteous wrath does not mean he sinned.

I suck at debating Deist TKO...so I am done here...There is no way I can argue or debate with all of the intellectuals here! I am in way over my head. Generally after posting these things...I am telling myself - "What was I thinking?" I stand by my opinion that it is not wrong to share what we believe - If I believe that I can do it...then I have to believe it is okay for you to do so as well. Sure...I might try to give you some kind of proof or basis for where I get my belief...but ultimately - what you believe is up to you. I can't really change that.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:59 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
There are hypocrites in every religion, aren't there?

Your bible does not allow for divorces, and it applies to your faith,
but not everyone shares your faith either.

It isn't MY bible and it isn't MY religion.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:15 pm
mismi40 wrote:
sin is sin - let your conscience decide. You can't be someone elses conscience. Most people know when they are doing wrong even if they won't admit it...even to themselves.

Coolwhip wrote:

Well...that can be taken the other way as well...such as abortion. It was run through because women wanted freedom to do what they chose with their own bodies. Now I believe that women should have that right as well...within the scope of treating the life within them as what it really is - a baby - that also has a right to life. But that is just what I believe. And I believe it strongly. I will defend that baby the best I can within the limits I have been given by law. God's and man-made. That is my best.

Everyone has an agenda...and everyone has to fight for that agenda. Does it work? For one side yes for the other no...is there a better way to do it? I have no clue. All I know is I have to do what I believe to be right and you have to do the same. Can we do it and still have respect and consideration for the other person? We should. But it just doesn't happen. Emotions are hard to control. And we are after all only human. We have to live by what we believe, learn from our mistakes and try to do better.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:41 pm
mismi40 wrote:

Well...that can be taken the other way as well...such as abortion. It was run through because women wanted freedom to do what they chose with their own bodies. Now I believe that women should have that right as well...within the scope of treating the life within them as what it really is a baby - that also has a right to life. But that is just what I believe. And I believe it strongly. I will defend that baby the best I can within the limits I have been given by law. God's and man-made. That is my best.

Everyone has an agenda...and everyone has to fight for that agenda. Does it work? For one side yes for the other no...is there a better way to do it? I have no clue. All I know is I have to do what I believe to be right and you have to do the same. Can we do it and still have respect and consideration for the other person? We should. But it just doesn't happen. Emotions are hard to control. And we are after all only human. We have to live by what we believe, learn from our mistakes and try to do better.

I am fully aware that people have 'most' people are religious and probably don't support gay marriage. I can respect their opinion but I see no reason why the majority should rule over the minority when the minority doesn't hurt anyone. If the majority thinks the minority is going to hell, well that would be the minoritys problem.

I think abortion falls into a slightly different category as it deals with issues like death and disagreements on when life begins. Homosexuality may be offensive to some but I certainly think there are limits of how much intolerance we can tolerate ( yea, thats right... umm).
0 Replies