Is expression common to native speakers?

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:24 am
Many happy returns of the day.

Do native speakers greet a person on his birthday with the above sentence?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:30 am
Can't speak for other English speaking countries, but in the U.S. we just say "happy birthday" to someone.

Sometimes I've heard people add "and many more", if it's someone you are very fond of, or respect.

I'd be more apt to write "many happy returns of the day" in a birthday card.

This reminds me of the use of the word "regards"

I have a friend who will say to someone, when saying goodbye "give your mother (father, sister, etc) my regards" or "please send my regards to you mother", meaning it as sending his respect....I find it quite charming.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:39 am
I'd be more apt to write "many happy returns of the day" in a birthday card.

I thought that it was a non-native expression.
In my country, Singapore, we write this expression on birthday cards.

By the way, does the expression wish that person a long life?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:46 am
Yes, a long and happy life. (It is wishing that the person will experience many more happy birthdays.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:52 am
Yoong Liat, you have been around long enough where we now consider you to be a friend and, well, I guess we are all beginning to love you... in our quirky American way.

What I would like now, Young Liat, is for you to give us a little information about yourself.

Do you live in a house on stilts? Or do you live in a lavish penthouse?

Your arm wrestling skills; are they admirable?

Diet: Rice? Chicken?

I await your answers.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:29 am
gustavratzenhofer - I just think I will follow you around A2K...there are very few things you say that don't just crack me up! You have a stalker now. Shocked
scary.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:58 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Yoong Liat, you have been around long enough where we now consider you to be a friend and, well, I guess we are all beginning to love you... in our quirky American way.

What I would like now, Young Liat, is for you to give us a little information about yourself.

Do you live in a house on stilts? Or do you live in a lavish penthouse?

I live in an executive flat. It has two floors. However, I hope you don't have the impression that it is very big.

Your arm wrestling skills; are they admirable?

Low score on arm wrestling. I'm a first dan black belt in taekwon-do and karate. Neither martial art emphasises arm wrestling, but karate stresses on fast kicks and punches, while in taekwon kicks are usually delivered but punches are not fewer.

Diet: Rice? Chicken?

Both chicken and rice together or rice with meat and vegetables.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:00 am
Rice with meat and vegetables!? I had no idea.

<slowly backs away>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm
Gus--

You'd better watch your tendency to exhuberent expression when Calamity Jane isn't around to protect you.

Black belts are part of an International, Non-Verbal Method of Self Expression.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 02:27 pm
"Many happy returns of the day" has these characteristics, as it seems to this native speaker:
1. Quite correct
2. Very formal
3. Somewhat old-fashioned
4. A little ambiguous, since not every person knows what it means: that is, what "returns"?
5. Rather bland, perhaps even boring or meaningless, especially if said or written to a close friend
6. Safe, if you can't think of anything else to say. It would be a suitable greeting to even the most august dignitary.

As for me, I love to say "Felicitations!" for birthdays and other happy occasions. This word is slightly unusual and has a jocular vein. And it's a direct translation of the common Spanish word "felicidades"; a lot of people here in California speak or understand Spanish.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:09 pm
As I remember Eeyore is wished "many happy returns of the day".
0 Replies