preposition

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
We recall in special times when we have stood briefly, but magnificently, united. In those times no prize was beyond our grasp.

Is 'in' correctly used?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:49 pm
Re: preposition
Ah that Jimmy Carter inauguration address. (Why didn't you give its origin?) You, or Carter, have omitted a vital comma! It should read:

We recall, in special times, when we have stood briefly, but magnificently, united. In those times no prize was beyond our grasp.

I would rather his speechwriters had used "at special times" instead. Also, maybe a slight rephrase to "In special times, we recall ..." would have been clearer.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:54 am
Thanks, Contrex.

I didn't quote speaker's name because I was more interested to know whether the sentence is correct.

Regards.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 05:38 pm
Contrex, your sleuthing skills are excellent. I stand in awe.

Thank you for posting the citation information; the context makes the quotation much more interesting.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 12:48 am
Aa wrote:
Contrex, your sleuthing skills are excellent. I stand in awe.

Thank you for posting the citation information; the context makes the quotation much more interesting.

There is no need to stand in awe. My "sleuthing skills" as you are pleased to call them, consist of being able to conceive the idea of typing "We recall in special times" into Google.
0 Replies