Student Teaching

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:06 pm
littlek wrote:
I just spent this evening putting the final touches on my final pieces of work for the practicum. I keep getting new final pieces to do, it seems. Tomorrow I teach my last lesson.

And..... I called the cute gym teacher this morning and left a message. Yep. Then I called the next guy on the snow-call list to inform him we had a delay (sigh). The phone call did spur an email from cute gym teacher. Which I responded to. All very professional.

Yay!!!!

My.goodmess,.how.lomg.did.you.talk.adout.this~

Amd.mow.you've.dome.it!!!!!

I.thimk.you're.a.DIG."K"mow!!!!

Wow.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 04:30 pm
Dlowan, I called him to tell him there was a delayed start to school because he was on the list after me.

So. Today was a bit of a roller coaster. The day started with TheOne being brought in by a truancy officer. I then taught my last observed lesson. During this math lesson one child came to the board to write out an answer and instead wrote "Hay is for cows". I recovered and carried on. We filled out all final paperwork (which was plentiful) and I was officially done with my seminar. I was elated, My SP was beaming.

Life was good for about 20 minutes - until the principal pulled me aside to tell me I did not get the position I interviewed for. But, he said, there's a one-on-one at the school I'd worked at for half of last year. So, a job that'll earn me about a third less than the long-term sub position. I dunno if I can afford to live on this salary, but benefits are paid for.

I interview friday afternoon. I still don't have recommendations aside from my SP's. I will list names and phone numbers. Unfortunately, this interview is set for my last afternoon with this classroom. This breaks my heart. And, I think my SP had something planned for that time for good byes and will now have to shift things around.

Life is complicated. I am going to watch my brother's boyfriend do improv with his classmates. Maybe that'll cheer me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
hellofaday, k. Sorry about the job. You'll get the next one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:22 pm
littlek wrote:
Dlowan, I called him to tell him there was a delayed start to school because he was on the list after me.

So. Today was a bit of a roller coaster. The day started with TheOne being brought in by a truancy officer. I then taught my last observed lesson. During this math lesson one child came to the board to write out an answer and instead wrote "Hay is for cows". I recovered and carried on. We filled out all final paperwork (which was plentiful) and I was officially done with my seminar. I was elated, My SP was beaming.

Life was good for about 20 minutes - until the principal pulled me aside to tell me I did not get the position I interviewed for. But, he said, there's a one-on-one at the school I'd worked at for half of last year. So, a job that'll earn me about a third less than the long-term sub position. I dunno if I can afford to live on this salary, but benefits are paid for.

I interview friday afternoon. I still don't have recommendations aside from my SP's. I will list names and phone numbers. Unfortunately, this interview is set for my last afternoon with this classroom. This breaks my heart. And, I think my SP had something planned for that time for good byes and will now have to shift things around.

Life is complicated. I am going to watch my brother's boyfriend do improv with his classmates. Maybe that'll cheer me.

I was congratulating you for being a TEACHER, not about the gym guy!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the first job...good luck with the others!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:29 pm
Keep your chin up, Lil'K.

Good things are gonna happen for you yet... Laughing

RH
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:47 pm
I think DigK! would be an elegant avatar.

Sorry about the job--but you've only been qualified for a few days. There will be other jobs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 07:58 pm
I am actually not qualified yet. But, I am close enough to be qualified, that schools could over-look that fact.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
Sorry about the job, K. Dammit! There will be other, maybe even better opportunities. You're on your way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:31 pm
Swimpy, there will be eventually. My SP is very convinced that I will be a great teacher, that I am a natural, etc. I just need to convince others.

I don't mind getting more experience by being a classroom aide or a one-on-one assistant. But, I have huge debt from grad school and need to earn enough to live on and to pay back my loans. And, now I have the time to start to worry about it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 08:50 pm
((((((((((littlek))))))))))

I know that something good will come along for you, sweetie. You deserve it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 09:39 pm
Well, it was just one out of one applications. That's how it goes. It's nothing personal. My colleague is going through a job application process, I think she must have sent out over 20 applications, got called back from less than a handful and interviewed with one. And she's also brilliant, tallented and has tons of experience under belt. Assmachusetts is oversaturated with qualified folks, unfortunately. Apply, apply, apply, something will definitely work out.
It's too bad you don't get to stick around the same school, on the other hand it may be good to get experience from other settings, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:05 pm
I don't take it personally. I am just sad to have to leave. And I am worried about money.

I have requested recommendations, am bringing things to copy (might as well use the school copiers while I still can). I have developed a good bye note to parents with my contacts for those seeking a tutor. If I can tutor 4 kids once per week, I may be able to make ends meet with this one-on-one job.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:15 pm
Eh, everything will work out. I'd bet you land a job sooner than you think.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:17 pm
k if you are any good at digging holes in rock hard soil for next to no pay I can give you a job.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:18 pm
I thought I'd land one yesterday. My SP believes in positive thinking. I am more pragmatic, but I got caught up in her zeal and sureness. I'll get a job, I'll struggle. I'll cut corners (not much to cut except groceries). Then I'll have experience and will be better positioned to get the job I deserve.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:21 pm
Should you have been/were you applying for jobs before you found out you didn't get this one?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm
Dadpad - I am good at that!

Slappy, I was swamped throughout my practicum and don't really have my certification until I get my license from the state. In effect I am certified (all class work, testing and preparedness courses done with). I need a job as I have been without pay for 4 months already. So, yes, I suppose I should have been looking, but the timing hasn't been great.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 11:01 pm
littlek wrote:
Dadpad - I am good at that!

Fine, you start tomorrow morning, 8.00 am on site. If you're late we give the job to someone else.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:15 am
littlek wrote:
I suppose I should have been looking, but the timing hasn't been great.

You can't do everything at once, k. But you'll have more time to look from now on. (Would an agency be a good idea at this stage?)
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:48 am
I understand, littlek. Good luck.
0 Replies