Student Teaching

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:10 pm
Tomorrow is the kids' first day. Wed and Thurs are half days. Friday is a full day.

Here's a cheesy question for this thread, but here goes! I think the gym teacher is really cute (and a great teacher to boot). So, therefore I get shy around him and don't say a word. He was working at the last school I worked at and I feel like I could sort of welcome him here at the new school, but I've only been here for like 5 months. Would it be cheesy? I have already thought of things to say in hindsight when opportunities arose throughout today. And, no, I don't really want to flirt or hit on him, just sort of break my tongue-tied-ness.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:16 pm
I don't think it'd be cheesy to welcome. Just nice. I say go ahead! :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:36 pm
Thanks kitty. <scritchscritch>

Hopefully I'll have another chance. Everyone keeps talking about how there's NO TIME during the school year. It's a chat-no-or-for-ever-hold-your-peace mentality. But, jovial at the same time. These people really want to be teachers - they really like it.

Now I need to find a place to volunteer some time (multicultural group, grounds-keeping, community liason?). And I need to find some tutoring work for extra cash since I get no pay.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:03 pm
It wouldn't be the least bit cheesy.

(How old is he? Single? Straight? I know, I know, you aren't going to flirt. Just living vicariously.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:27 pm
Mac! I don't know the answer to any of those questions! (I intend to find out - that's not flirting!).

My time in the shower is usually productive as far as tease out problems. I dunno why. Anyway, I thought of a couple good conversation topics if the chance arises.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:29 pm
Yep, I always do my best thinking in the shower.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:32 pm
Glad it's not just me!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:34 pm
I think you should just hit on him.

Look for a store room before you do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 08:37 pm
it's an elementary school - there are no store rooms! All is filled up.

I don't want to hit on him without knowing the answers to Mac's Qs. So, I'll just try to be nice and actually speak to him.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 09:57 pm
littlek wrote:
Thanks kitty. <scritchscritch>

Hopefully I'll have another chance. Everyone keeps talking about how there's NO TIME during the school year. It's a chat-no-or-for-ever-hold-your-peace mentality. But, jovial at the same time. These people really want to be teachers - they really like it.

Now I need to find a place to volunteer some time (multicultural group, grounds-keeping, community liason?). And I need to find some tutoring work for extra cash since I get no pay.

Hey, look what I just got in the mail. I think you'd be a great facilitator. Would be a good training, too. But it's in Springfield...dunno how far that is:

Quote:
Hello Friends,
I work for the National Conference for Community and Justice of Connecticut and Western, Massachusetts. Starting the week of October 8- November 12th, 2007 we will be hosting a Community Conversation on Race and Poverty in the Springfield, MA area and we are in need of facilitators. We are using the Facing Racism In A Diverse Nation discussion guide created by the Study Circles Resource Center. The discussions are divided into six sessions that last for 2 hours. Below is an outline of the discussion guide.

Session 1: Making Connections
Session 2: Our Ethnic Backgrounds and Racism
Session 3: Our Unequal Nation
Session 4: Why Do Inequities Exist?
Session 5: Looking at Our Community
Session 6: Moving to Action

If you live and or work in the Springfield, MA area and have an interest, please contact me for further information. Stipends are available.

Regards,
XXXX
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:16 pm
I have no idea what a facilitator would do! Springfield is way out there.

We had our first half day. I know most of the kids to some degree and a few of them fairly well. They added another 4th grade classroom this year, so our class sizes are reduced to 18 or 17 - Ms D's class has 18. Great teacher-student ratio while I'm there. I sat in on a lunch-seating fiesta. All the 4th graders sit together at lunch and each table has roughly half boys and half girls. I don't know how common it is to have assigned lunch seating, but these guys do. So, we had them write down who they wanted to eat with and we shuffled index cards and wrote up table lists until we had it hammered out. At this age, they've left behind exclusive shyness with others and haven't gotten around to exclusive snottiness with others yet. So, they seem very open to everyone in the class. SO FAR!

After school I also sat in on a curriculum night planning session. They pulled together all of their plans and handouts from last year, decided what to keep, toss or edit. And we built a stack of papers which need to each be copied 80 times. These will go home with parents after we explain to them what's on the agenda for their kid.

Tomorrow is another 1/2 day, I believe there is a grade-level meeting after school with the principal. I hope they all don't get tired of me tagging along.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 06:58 am
Eighteen in the class--with one and 3/4 teachers!

Those kids are going to have a very productive year.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:29 pm
Well, I won't be there all year, just until mid-December. But, the kids'll do great with Ms D. They all think she rocks. She got spontaneous hugs on the way out the door at the end of the day.

I also had my first seminar tonight. Once again, my uni screwed us around a little. We were told it'd be at school site A, but they changed it to school site Z (about a mile away, and MUCH closer to my house - I can easily and quickly walk). This new location requires an ID which keys us in (which I don't have). And, I bought the last required book and at least 2 of my peers hadn't bought theirs yet.

But, the seminar leader seems good. She's probably 80 years old, but she still seems sharper than most 60 year olds I know.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 06:36 pm
littlek wrote:
Cypher, what is he going to be teaching? I'm glad to hear another man is entering the ranks.

Oh, hey, I didn't see this before!

He's actually not 100% decided on a direction yet...he's trying to decide between elementary or high school biology. I'm hoping for elementary-- I know he'd be great at it, and it does seem like a few more men teaching in elementary schools would be nice. Anyway, I'm reading along with interest...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 04:15 pm
sssssssssoooooooooooooootttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:50 pm
Littlek--

Friday has a special meaning for teachers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:57 pm
What is that meaning?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:20 pm
What is that meaning?

Pause. Pause. Unwind. Unwind. Correct papers. Plan ahead. Face Monday with enthusiasm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 06:49 am
Mmmmm, and review the past week.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 07:59 am
Littlek--

All that vacation time---an illusion, an insubstantial, unsubstantiated illusion.
0 Replies