Student Teaching

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:02 pm
In a couple weeks, I start my student teaching practicum. I will be in a 4th grade class with Ms. D. I will know some of the kids already from having worked in the school last year. I am excited and nervous. I'll need to be keeping a journal, of sort, of my experience. So, I'll add content here as I go. Your responses will help my think/reflect a little deeper.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,990 • Replies: 302
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:37 am
The first day of school is always An Occasion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:44 am
I'm all ears, k! Looking forward to your reports.

Of course you're nervous. That's to be expected. Anyone would be.

But we all know you'll be fantastic! No question about that!

Good luck! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:47 am
I suppose, teaching 4th grade is much exciting (and more making nervous) than teaching students at university (what I did).

But you'll be really great in doing that, littlek!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:50 am
I't wonderful that University Professors in the USA, don't have to undergo "practice teaching"... Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:53 am
In Germany neither.

(My response was related to littlek's topic. And I really think, it's more exciting to teach younger pupils than older youth. Besides that, I wrote nothing about university professor, Miller, but about teaching at university.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:47 am
My teacher/mentor, Ms D. emailed yesterday. She'll be setting up her classroom next week and wanted to know if I can come help. I really want to, feel like I need to. But, I'll be working and for the next two weekends, I'll be at class and at a wedding. I'll be working on taking a day or two off from work to get in there for set up.

Walter, teaching at all different levels has got to be exciting in different ways.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:35 pm
I went in to work with Ms D. to set up the classroom. She is very welcoming and enthusiastic. She is also incredibly organized. And I have my own space! And I already know several of the kids. And the cute gym teacher from my last school will be teaching at this new one! And and and.......
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:17 pm
It sounds like a great gig, littlek. I'm happy for you!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
Miller wrote:
I't wonderful that University Professors in the USA, don't have to undergo "practice teaching"... Laughing

well, most of them were at least teaching fellows before. at least.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:56 am
Littlek--

I'm glad you made time to get to know your mentor and to help set up the classroom. A great deal of essential groundwork for good teaching has nothing to do either with children or with fascinating facts. You also need a supply of spare pencils; something entertaining for the smart kids to look at while the average and slow kids are getting it; clean emergency underwear....

When do your classes start?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:18 am
Go Ms Teacher!
    [img]http://www.psu.edu.sa/worldcuptour-2006/images/Humburg-Stadium/La-ola,-the-big-wave.jpg[/img]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:24 am
Noddy, underwear is a great idea! Ms D. has lots of extras for students who are ready to move on, back up lesson plans for unexpected changes in schedule, extra worksheets for extra practice, extra worksheets and plans for substitute teachers, extra pencils/markers/etc. The thing everyone underestimated last year seemed to be paper. The policy here is to ask parents to donate some supplies to the school (district wide policy, I think).
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:45 pm
littlek,

This is great news! It seems like just yesterday you started on this journey.........and now..... you're almost there!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I know you're going to do a great job! Enjoy it!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 06:51 pm
Smiling at your enthusiasm, littlek. This sounds great!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:03 pm
Thanks all! And, by the way, I HAVE just started - found out just how little I know on that first day with Ms. D. But, I will absorb........
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:13 pm
Good luck Littlek :-D
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 07:15 pm
littlek,

You've worked so hard for this -- I know you'll be great! Keep us posted!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 08:26 pm
Oh.... I will!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 08:15 am
Littlek--

You have the theory. The trick is to get the theory-to-action part at the reflex level.
0 Replies