Is Love A Choice?

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:16 pm
Montana wrote:
It may be a choice for some, but I can't even imagine that.

It's never been a choice with me. My heart goes where it goes and it's stronger than I.

Because you let it Laughing . That's a choice, see. Some people don't let themselves.... but like i said, that is a choice we don't make consciously.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
No, I don't let it. It truly has a mind of its own Laughing

I'm serious Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:38 pm
I know you are. You have an open heart. That's just who you are.

Some people don't. But they could have, if they would let themselves. It's a lot of work though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:50 pm
Yes, you're right Dag, I do have an open heart, but it's only open to those who get its attention, which is where I lose the choice.
I've tried very hard to close my heart and I found that the only way I was able to do that was to stay away from men, which I managed to do during the years I home schooled my son, but then when I went back work with men, my heart went all funky when I met one it liked.
I tried sooooooooooo hard to fight it, but it just won't let go.

My heart is my worst enemy!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:52 pm
By the way, it's very rare that my heart goes funky for someone.

Way too rare Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:35 pm
Here's the key:

dagmaraka wrote:
...but that's a pretty deep choice that we don't often articulate in our consciousness.

Sometimes love sneaks up on you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:40 pm
Yeah, and it grabs you, sucking you into a totally different universe Laughing
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:09 am
dagmaraka wrote:
It is a choice to some extent. You have to "allow yourself" to love in the first place. Be emotionally open to that possibility in the first place...but that's a pretty deep choice that we don't often articulate in our consciousness.

Some years back I've read a study on success of arranged marriages and 'love' marriages. Turns out that the partners we choose and partners our parents would choose are pretty darn close. And that the social/cultural compatibility has a lot to do with success of the marriage, so that ultimately it doesn't matter all that much how the marriage started.... or something along those lines. It was very very interesting, though I wouldn't have any clue where to look for it now.

This is really interesting to me. Especially about social/cultural compatibility leading to success in a marriage to such a large degree.

Always been intrigued by arranged marriages. There seems to be a lot about them that "works" and satisfies a lot of the needs that we - we being us who generally are just thrown out into the world and told to find our own mate however we see fit, whether we have the tools to do that or not - struggle so bad to have satisfied.
Leading of course to all sorts of breakups and cheating etc.

I'm curious about the exact "compatibility factors" that play such a large role.

I know, Dag, you'd have no idea where to find that article now. Just throwing the question out there for anyone who may know and want to pipe up!

BTW; totally agree about love being a sneaky little devil. That's part of the fun, isn't it. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:19 am
I just saw this and was gonna say what Dag did -- I don't think it's binary, either/or. I think there is some of each involved when it comes to relationships.

As in, you can rationally choose someone who is the most compatible, nice, solvent, wonderful guy, and simply not be able to fall in love with him. Or you can fall in love with someone who is utterly unsuitable -- but you do have a choice as to what you do about that.

This goes back to what I said in a similar thread about not being able to control your feelings but being able to control your actions. And the latter does have an influence on the former, I think. (Example: If you have fallen in love with someone you realize is utterly unsuitable, act in such a way to increase the chances of getting over that person and moving on. Busy yourself with other things, meet other people, keep your mind occupied, and wait for your heart to catch up. It happens, I've done it more than once.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 12:38 pm
Now acting on those feelings is a whole different ball game and I agree with that.

I've walked away from my feelings, but they were still there.
0 Replies

josie37

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 02:50 am
how could he stop loving me
am 40yrs old now when I met my husband I was 21yrs old .Ileft my parents house to live with him. we dated 1yr before I got pregnant. after my daughter the abuse began the first timee was in my parents house he pulled a gun then next time a knife. we broke up for 2yrs and we got back. with syphilis we found out after my check up. we stayed together another 8yrs . I ve moved and he says he has moved on.the funny thing is ended but I thought he might follow even with abuse I know I am crazy I tried suscide and he didn,t even care
wats the matter with I wanna die I have precancerouscell
0 Replies

josie37

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:05 pm
Re: how could he stop loving me
josie37 wrote:
am 40yrs old now when I met my husband I was 21yrs old .Ileft my parents house to live with him. we dated 1yr before I got pregnant. after my daughter the abuse began the first timee was in my parents house he pulled a gun then next time a knife. we broke up for 2yrs and we got back. with syphilis we found out after my check up. we stayed together another 8yrs . I ve moved and he says he has moved on.the funny thing is ended but I thought he might follow even with abuse I know I am crazy I tried suscide and he didn,t even care
wats the matter with I wanna die I have precancerouscell
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:40 pm
We're trying, josie37, but that post is almost unreadable. I honestly can't figure out what you're saying. Please edit.
0 Replies