meaning of 'not required'

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:11 am
If we say a question mark is "not required", does it mean that it is wrong to use one or is it optional?

My friend says that 'not required' means "it's fine to use a question mark or to leave it out." I think otherwise. I believe it means it is wrong to insert a question mark. Is my friend correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 8,292 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
Could you show us the sentence?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 08:36 am
meaning of term
Chai wrote:
Could you show us the sentence?

A question mark is not required in the sentence "I would like to know whether you're free tomorrow."

Does 'not required' mean that it is wrong to insert a question mark after 'tomorrow' or does it mean that a question mark may be inserted if I wish to. My friend says that it means the latter, but I believe he is wrong.

I would like to know whether my friend is correct.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:11 am
"not required" means that using a question mark in that sentence is not grammatically correct.

You are not asking a question of the person....you are making a statement as to what you would like to know.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:55 am
happycat wrote:
"not required" means that using a question mark in that sentence is not grammatically correct.

You are not asking a question of the person....you are making a statement as to what you would like to know.

Thanks, Happycat.

Can I conclude that what you say is tantamount to saying that it is wrong to use a question in that sentence? My friend insists that I cannot say it is wrong to use a question mark. This makes me unable to convince him unless he sees a reply in black and white.

I would appreciate it very much if you could oblige me. Many thanks.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:20 pm
It is wrong to use a question mark in a declarative sentence. A declarative sentence is a statement not a question.

"I would like to know whether you're free tomorrow." is correct.

"Are you free tomorrow?" is correct.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:49 am
Thanks for your replies.
0 Replies

philyan999

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 02:48 am
@Yoong Liat,
I think your friend is correct, because for me, when you say not required its means Optional
roger

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 12:06 pm
@philyan999,
I agree that "not required" means optional. It the actual example given, however, it is also wrong. It seems we really have two separate issues, or did several years ago, when the question was posed.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 05:17 pm

I disagree with the last two posts. To use a question mark after that sentence would be wrong. (because it's not a question)

"Not required" in this case means, leave it off. It's certainly not optional.
wanxin2610

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 12:07 am
@McTag,
What about when " not required" is used in

you are not required to make a stand in this essay?

How should i write the essay? is it wrong to state my stand in the essay?
McTag

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 03:14 am
@wanxin2610,

Your meaning is unclear. By "make a stand" do you mean "make a statement"?

"Make a stand" usually means (it's a metaphor) that you are arguing from a particular viewpoint, against some opposition.

Anyway, the thread was about the use of question marks, and that has been fully answered above.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:29 am
@Yoong Liat,
Yoong Liat wrote:

If we say a question mark is "not required", does it mean that it is wrong to use one or is it optional?

My friend says that 'not required' means "it's fine to use a question mark or to leave it out." I think otherwise. I believe it means it is wrong to insert a question mark. Is my friend correct?

"Not required" means optional, but your original premise is incorrect. A question mark is incorrect. Instead of saying "not required", "not appropriate" would be more accurate. That is not to say that a native speaker might say "not required" and expect the listener to interpret it correctly.
0 Replies