Down with the Ten Commandments.

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:34 pm
au1929 wrote:
Does anyone know did all this preaching and psalm singing come about as a result of the move to remove the object . Or did the move to remove it come about because of the preaching and etc.

As the saying goes what came firrst the chicken or the egg.

Moore is well known for preaching and such from his bench. The loonies who are supporting him have been with him for years.

A timeline from a fundy web site:Moore Timeline

8/25/2003
Chief Justice Moore Suspended
8/22/2003
Freedom at Stake in Moore Fight
8/18/2003
Chief Justice Moore's Poem at Rally
8/18/2003
Moore Defies Federal Order to Remove Ten Commandments
8/18/2003
Nation Rallies for Moore
8/12/2003
Chief Justice Moore Receives Ultimatum to Abandon "Laws of God"
6/6/2003
Appeals Court Weighs Moore Arguments
6/1/2003
162,000 Join Moore Petition
5/1/2003
Moore Appeal Set for June
2/1/2003
E-Army Delivers for Moore
1/7/2003
Federal Judge Allows Chief Justice Moore's Ten Commandments Monument to StayÂ…For Now
12/20/2002
Chief Justice Moore Given New Ultimatum: Remove Monument by January 3
11/21/2002
Dr. D. James Kennedy's Statement Regarding the Ruling Against Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore.
10/23/2002
Moore Refutes Expert Witness
10/18/2002
Moore Trial Enters Fourth Day
10/9/2002
Poll: Alabama Supports Chief Justice Moore, Ten Commandments
4/1/2002
Anger Greets Moore Opinion In Homosexual Custody Suit
2/1/2002
Trial Date Set for Moore Suit
1/7/2002
Electronic Army Mobilizes for Moore
1/2/2002
Titus Explains ACLU Plan to Sue Judge Moore
1/1/2002
ACLU, Allies, Bring Suit Against Chief Justice Moore
11/5/2001
Chief Justice Roy Moore Sued by ACLU, Americans United for Separation
11/1/2001
No Lawsuit Yet Against Moore
10/4/2001
Chief Justice Moore Puts God's Law in Alabama Court
9/1/2001
Moore Puts God's Law In Alabama Supreme Court
9/1/2001
Moore Advisors Answer Ten Commandments Critics
8/10/2001
Chief Justice Roy Moore: Solid as a Rock
4/1/2001
Moore Leads Conference Lineup
3/1/2001
Judge Moore Elected Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice
7/1/1999
Anonymous Complaint Leads to Ethics Probe of Moore
2/1/1998
Moore Case Asks God's Place
4/1/1997
Judge Moore Keeps Prayer, Ten Commandments In Court

From 1997: Cnn article

A judge in Gadsden, Roy Moore, has been ordered to stop conducting prayers in his courtroom and displaying the Ten Commandments. That led Alabama Gov. Fob James, a supporter of prayer in public schools, to vow to use state troopers, if necessary, to allow Moore to continue the prayers.

Just searching for "alabama judge roy moore" on CNN's site I found 33 pages of links to stories, so he''s been at this for a while!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:43 pm
Does he wear a white sheet and hood? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:44 pm
I don't know, but I'm sure many of his supporters do. I probably would be sentenced to public flogging by him Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:57 pm
I have the feeling that if there was a minor case brought before him on an actual law on the books and it came to his attention that the defendant was also an adulterer, he'd give him the severest sentence permitted by law.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:00 pm
(If the defendant had coveted Moore's wife...but then, how could he tell? That's probably the silliest of the ten.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 06:18 pm
Ellen Goodman had a great article on the issue. I love this columnist!

Quote:
Americans seem to want the Commandments displayed even if they don't want them all enforced. When was the last time we arrested people at the local mall for dishonoring the Sabbath? When was adultery last a felony?

Ellen Goodman Article
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:10 pm
300 lunatics protesting around a carved rock, worthy of nonstop coverage.

10,000,000 people worldwide protesting a war, worthy of brief snide commentary.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 08:26 pm
PDiddie wrote:
300 lunatics protesting around a carved rock, worthy of nonstop coverage.

10,000,000 people worldwide protesting a war, worthy of brief snide commentary.

Yess, but mass murder is a "Christian Family Value." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:49 am
Is it much different than the revelry around The Golden Calf, sans the sex? (Well, and the cheap wine).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
Nobody seems to mind the 3,000 plus dead Iraqi's either, because most still believe GWBush did the right 'christian' thing to save the Iraqi's from Saddam.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
It seems by the law of attrition (damn that law, it's always around isn't it) that we could make it 3,000 lost American lives. If may not be that they are dead, it may be the tax burden loaded onto our society by the 4 billion dollars a month we're spending over there. What happened to the conservative's mantra about throwing money at a problem does not solve the problem? Oh, I guess it's priorities -- don't throw money at any of our social problems, throw it at social problems in a conquered country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:38 am
LW, Politics is similar to religion: most are unwilling to admit their failings. When GWBush claimed he was a 'compassionate conservative,' we didn't understand he meant towards the Iraqi People - and damn the American People. Let's see how we can spend one billion a week to help our own people in the US of A.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:48 am
The politics of religion is something that those within religion are reticent to acknowledge. The various churches are run by committees and a camel is a horse designed by a committee. This doesn't except the Catholics even though they have a virtual dictator in the Pope. Ayn Rand was anti-Christian as the collectivism of religion is on the opposite pole from objectivism. If you don't believe that, just examine the poster on these threads who is aiming arrows at a target that doesn't exist. They're also all curved arrows which fly into the air and return to penetrate him in the ass.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:58 am
Lightwizard wrote:
It seems by the law of attrition (damn that law, it's always around isn't it) that we could make it 3,000 lost American lives. If may not be that they are dead, it may be the tax burden loaded onto our society by the 4 billion dollars a month we're spending over there. What happened to the conservative's mantra about throwing money at a problem does not solve the problem? Oh, I guess it's priorities -- don't throw money at any of our social problems, throw it at social problems in a conquered country.

Actually, a very small piece of the pie goes into war. About 75% of American tax money goes to American social programs alone. And what, you think that our ineffecient government redistributing taxpayer money towards certain groups is going to solve their problems? The social programs were supposed to end after the new deal, but people seem to think that this money is a present, not coming out of their own pockets, filtered through middlemen and redistributed for less as if it were candy from politicians. Social security isn't gauranteed, it has nothing to do with what you put in, and it's poorly managed. The government is in debt.

The government takes over half of every cent you earn. America separated from Britain because they were being overtaxed, the founding fathers would be outraged today - they never intended for the national government to have it's hands in business and the million other things the federal government claims it has a right to govern based on a law that was supposed to allow for national currency. They would be outraged at property tax (owning land was part of the jeffersonian ideal), death tax, social programs, business regulation (the highest campaign bidder wins), etc. Is it hard to tell that I'm a libertarian :wink: ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 12:28 pm
It's actually around 58% and most of that is Social Security and Medicare, both programs contributed to by a seperate tax. America still has one of the lowest tax rates in the world and the ones who complain about taxes always seem to be the ones who complain about the potholes in the road that thrown their cars out of alignment.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:53 pm
I don't believe in social programs. There are too many government agencies, because once an organization is successful, even if they have achieved their original goals, it is their nature to perptuate - almost like a species. Thus, we keep getting more and more agencies, and those agencies keep expanding. Agencies don't limit themselves.
The national government should concern its self with national defense adn diplomacy, regulation of currency, interstate disputes, international highways, and the bill of rights - which the 14th amendment made national law.
The federal government has no business in a lot of places, business is one of those places, social benefit movements is another. The new deal programs were supposed to end after America was back on it's feet, but never did. My old textbook said 75%, I'm reading a different government textbook now, when I come across the informaiton again I'll post it.
To be honest, I don't know about tax rates in other countries. Ours are at a record high for our country, and the money needs to be better managed. The government is inefficiently run (intentionally so to prevent corruption) and for this reason it is inefficient in tasks it tries to accomplish. Also, because there is no competition: take the post office: it's a terribly run business because they have no competition.
This is why the federal government should not be charged with money redistribution, expecially social programs, to which they are not specifically alloted by the constitution.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 02:05 pm
Oh, yes, we should just let business do what they do. We'd likely have thousands of Enrons -- you really believe that dishonesty is isolated in government? Government oversight is necessary as long as greed and human nature exist. Laissez faire is an idealistic dream and the robber barons of today would love to have your ideas indoctrinated into government. State and local governments are more corrupt than the national government. Where is the oversight on their activities? There's less media attention placed on these entities so they can get away with just about anything they want to and have. Otherwise, Spiro Agnew would not have had to resign. How many have not been caught?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 02:08 pm
And your getting figures from an old textbook? Come come, it's available all over the internet and many are still bitching about how much is spent in social programs even after the paring down of welfare. My problem with libertarianism is when it approaches an advocacy for anarchism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
anarchy ain't so bad, look how long Italy has managed to get by with it.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
Among all these learned discussions....there exists a belief by some that the original Ten Commandments actually had to do with food - that they laid down the first of the dietary kosher laws, because a very important part of early life was eating. I first heard this many years ago from the son of a Pentecostal minister I was working with.

It seems to me that there really should have been no question. The public display of a definite religious idol can be offensive. And it was clear from what happened that it was intended to display the fact that this was a Christian God-fearing state. No others allowed. You don't believe? Then go back to wherever you came from. We're true American Christians, and that's how God meant it. And if you don't listen, my club in all those pointy white hoods and robes will be along soon to light the True Sign on your lawn.

Now, Buddhism is a lovely belief, and maybe we should contemplate setting up a large Budhha in the Mississippi courthouse. That would be impressive.
0 Replies