Down with the Ten Commandments.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:54 am
A moving crew removed the Ten Commandments monument from the rotunda of the Alabama Judicial Building on Wednesday to comply with a federal court order, as anguished protesters prayed at the building's steps. Patrick Mahoney, director of the Christian Defense Coalition, a group fighting the move, said state officials told him that the 5,300-pound monument was being moved to another location within the building and that moving equipment was already insi
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:59 am
another location within the same building? i guess these lawyers need to make their order more clear.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
It could be gone with the wind but not the most violent hurricane could have moved it. As far as its being marble, artistically it was a very poor example of the medium. It's in the school of lump sculpture.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:44 am
W
It is the symbolism that was in question not it's beauty.

I understand that a plaque with the ten commandments hangs in the chambers of the supreme court. If that is true will that be targeted next. Whether it stays or goes means very little to me since IMO it is much ado over nothing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:54 am
Anyone who considers this issue to be "much ado about nothing" really ought to rethink the situation.

There are VERY important priciples at stake here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:03 pm
The Ten Commandments in the chamber of the Supreme Court was not placed there by one judge to proselytize his religion. It also doesn't weigh more than the Rock of Gibralter and in full view of the public. Times are a'changin'.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:05 pm
(And I see only one interpretation of that "symbolism" -- the Christian religion is the only one existing in these courtrooms).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:15 pm
I agree with Frank.

There are VERY important principles at stake. I see no greater threat to the long term stability of our government and way of life, than that which comes from internal attacks on the constitution itself.

The mere fact that a senior Judge has behaved in this way, and that others around him are afraid to condemn his actions, is a clear warning of what can happen if people are not reminded of the *first* ammendment, and the reasons that our founder made it #1 on the list. They came from worlds tortured by a history of religious and governmental tyranny. Theirs is no idle warning of the risks we face if we allow the wall of separation to be eroded away by endless tiny seemingly harmless attacks.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:20 pm
Did you hear Brylcreem Boy (the Alabama AG) comment yesterday, when he said that "the state must support the constitution of the US even when it obviously is at odds with the wishes of the citizenry"? Shocked What part of the citizery? If "hangin' Judge Roy" has senatorial aspirations, doesn't it seem like Pryor has further goals as well? Shudder!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:10 pm
LW
Quote:
The Ten Commandments in the chamber of the Supreme Court was not placed there by one judge to proselytize his religion. It also doesn't weigh more than the Rock of Gibraltar and in full view of the public.

Who put it there, if it is, and it size is not relevant. The message if there is one is the same.
Frank,
IMO it is much ado about nothing and I do not have to rethink the situation.

How do you feel about the "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance or In God we trust on our currency? Must that be changed? I have no doubt that the ten commandments are posted on public buildings around the nation shall they all be taken down? Take note that when the president of the US is sworn in it is with a use of a bible. As a matter of fact most swearing is ceremonies include a bible. What is used in a court of law, yes a bible?
Separation of church and state by all means but I can't help but believe this is overkill.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:40 pm
The size and proximity to a public space is exactly what is relevant. The Supreme Court judges have every right to place it in their private chamber -- they could also hang the Tom Kelly photograph of Marilyn Monroe and it would be difficult to legally deny them that right.

The "Under God" in my estimation could mean any God -- I know most will assume it is the Christian/Judeo God but there is still a generic quality to the phrase that makes it rather benign.

This isn't just a case of seperation of church and state, it's a case of the Judge decreeing that a monument stand in front of the courthouse and it strongly implies that he is prosyletizing his personal religious beliefs. That belongs in a place of worship or private quarters, not in front of a building where only two of the "laws" apply. It is rather of a strong suggestion by the judge that their ought to be a low regarding adultery, for instance -- people should be fined and sent to prison for it.

Anyone not cognitive enough to figure this out is in need of therepy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
LW
I am in no way condoning the judges views or motives and his refusal to obey the law. I do think however that piece of granite in the lobby was blown out of proportion.

As for the ten commandments posted in the supreme court I believe it is posted in the court room. That is what I have been lead to believe.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:55 pm
I think that what makes the Alabama situation stand out is the way "ol' jedge Roy" has been so adamant in his attempts to use his bench as a pulpit. Had he not done so, the amateurish art exhibit would not have made much of a stir.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 03:00 pm
The courtroom of the Supreme Court is not a public thoroughfare. Try and get in if you don't believe me.

You might think the ugly block of ill-conceived art was blown out of proporation merely because it received so much media attention. It isn't something that is happening at every courthouse in the land because there isn't the pretentious bull-headed judge present in each of these courthouses.
The attention by the media is really about the astonishing gall of that particular judge.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 03:03 pm
au1929 wrote:
Frank, IMO it is much ado about nothing and I do not have to rethink the situation.

Well, I specifically did not address that remark to you. I am beginning to doubt that you can see this kind of thing for the danger it really presents -- and I am as interested in protecting myself (and my fellow citizens) from the kind of lethargy people like you exhibit in these kinds of dangerous situations -- as I am to see that idiotic monument gone.

Quote:
How do you feel about the "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance or In God we trust on our currency?

I think it sucks big time. I don't think I have to deal with any statements about our nation existing "under" some god when I am pledging my allegiance to my country. That statement is in there as an "in your face" provocations from theists.

As for "in God We trust" -- I don't know about you, but I certainly do not trust the god of the Bible as far as I can throw Mt. Rushmore. The god of the Bible is one of the most untrustworthy gods ever invented -- and since that god is the god meant by the people who put that phrase on our money, I think it sucks big time also.

Quote:
Must that be changed?

Must???

If can be changed, I would love to see it changed. If it can't, I'll live with it. But I will never characterize my feelings about it as "much ado about nothing" -- because it is anything but that.

Quote:
I have no doubt that the ten commandments are posted on public buildings around the nation shall they all be taken down?

I hope so, but we will see.

Quote:
Take note that when the president of the US is sworn in it is with a use of a bible. As a matter of fact most swearing is ceremonies include a bible. What is used in a court of law, yes a bible?

Often it is not. Many people take oaths with no Bible -- and some use the Constitution of the United States for that purpose.

I doubt any court in this country would require that one place his/her hand on a Bible in order to be sworn in.

Quote:
Separation of church and state by all means but I can't help but believe this is overkill.

All I can do is to respectfully invite you to rethink this issue again.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 03:43 pm
Frank
As usual we do not agree. However, nothing wrong with that. What a dull world it would be if everyone agreed with each other.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:01 pm
Frank
Quote:

As for "in God We trust" -- I don't know about you, but I certainly do not trust the God of the Bible as far as I can throw Mt. Rushmore

If there is a supreme being there is I am sure but one. Each religion may call it by a different name and worship in it's own way but as I said it is the same entity. Organized religion IMO is the danger not the belief in a supreme being. As for the God of the bible that is just someone's concept of what God is and has decreed. It is as much a myth as the bible itself. [Of any religion}
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:03 pm
It's a delicate balance that the forefathers expected there would be men in government including the Supreme Court who would be able to make the necessary judgements. In my estimation, playing Cecil B. Demille in a courthouse is not only ridiculous, it's the height of pomposity,
showing a religious prejudice that is anathema for any fair thinking person. I'm surprised he didn't try to have the state hire a choir to sing hymns at sunset around the glob of stone.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:16 pm
hobitbob
Quote:
I think that what makes the Alabama situation stand out is the way "ol' jedge Roy" has been so adamant in his attempts to use his bench as a pulpit. Had he not done so, the amateurish art exhibit would not have made much of a stir

Agreed.

As it is the story is not over, I expect there will be an attempt to bring the issue to the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:23 pm
Does anyone know did all this preaching and psalm singing come about as a result of the move to remove the object . Or did the move to remove it come about because of the preaching and etc.

As the saying goes what came firrst the chicken or the egg.
0 Replies