meaning of 'not required'

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:21 pm
I want to know where he is. (No question is required.)

If we say a question mark is "not required", does it mean that it is wrong to use it or it is optional?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 421 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:06 pm
You posted a declarative sentence. A question mark would make you sound like a valley girl...

Not using a question mark after your sentence is normal.

Sometimes different cultural groups play with the english language, and, I presume, other languages. For a while, some young people in the San Fernando valley put question marks at the end of many sentences, by voice. Since the SFvalley is near the Hollywood studios, this got popularized.

Language is massaged by people over the ages to be what it is for this set of minutes, wherever you are.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:20 pm
It would be wrong to use it in the case you used because it's a statement, not a question.

You would say, "Where is he?" or "Does anyone know where he is?"

and also say, "I want to know where he is."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:28 pm
That is, declarative.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 11:31 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 03:48 am
Thanks, Mame and Ossobuco.

I know that a question mark is not required after the sentence I provided. Sorry for confusing matters instead of making it clearer. I've removed the sentence.

The question is as follows:

If we say a question mark is "not required", does it mean that it is wrong to use one or is it optional?

My friend says that 'not required' means 'it's fine to use a question mark or to leave it out." I think otherwise. I believe it means it is wrong to insert a question mark.

I hope my question is clearer now.

I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know whether my friend is right or I am.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:47 am
It really depends on the context, Yoong Lait.

Not required means not necessary, so saying "A question mark is not required" could mean it's optional, but normally it's pretty clear when to use one and when not to, so if they're saying it's not required, I'd say they mean you shouldn't use one.

However, if you've been invited to a wedding and they say "Gifts are not required", that would mean that gifts are optional, not that you shouldn't bring one. Just that the usual custom of gift-giving is not being followed.

That's why this is a little confusing.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:46 am
Many thanks, Mame. You are really helpful.
0 Replies