quotation marks

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:01 pm
"To set up shop" means to establish one's business/place of work.
"To set up shop" means "to establish one's business/place of work".

Which sentence is correct or are both fine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 462 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:06 pm
Both are fine; some people might dispense with the quotation marks altogether.

To cut one's coat according to one's cloth means to plan one's expenditure in accordance with one's means.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:09 pm
Thanks, Contrex.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:58 am
I wouldn't dispense with the quotation marks in the first part of the sentence because they identify what it is you're trying to explain. It's too confusing not to have them. The second set, however, you can eliminate because you've said the word "means", so naturally, what follows is the explanation of the quoted section.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:02 am
Mame wrote:
I wouldn't dispense with the quotation marks in the first part of the sentence because they identify what it is you're trying to explain. It's too confusing not to have them. The second set, however, you can eliminate because you've said the word "means", so naturally, what follows is the explanation of the quoted section.

Thanks, Mame.

In an exam, should I insert quotation marks in the second part of the sentence?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:49 am
Mame wrote:
The second set, however, you can eliminate because you've said the word "means", so naturally, what follows is the explanation of the quoted section.

Surely, Mame, you just argued yourself out of your position. If the word "means" separates what is to be explained from its explanation, and obviates the need for quote marks around the explanation, then by the same logic it removes the need for quote marks around the first part.

To set up shop means to establish one's business/place of work.

What's confusing about that?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 06:26 pm
I should have been clearer.

To "set up shop" means to establish... etc.

That's how I would have written it. If it's clear enough to use without the "" marks, you can dispense with them altogether, as contrex suggested.

Yoong, I'm not giving advice on any exams because every teacher is different. Look at the different opinions you get here. What have they told you on this issue?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:31 pm
Thanks, Mame. I respect Contrex and you. Both of you are very helpful and I would like to say I'm very grateful to the two of you.

I would be very grateful if you (and Contrex) correct any errors even in my post.

Best regards
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:15 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Thanks, Mame. I respect Contrex and you. Both of you are very helpful and I would like to say I'm very grateful to the two of you.

I would be very grateful if you (and Contrex) correct any errors even in my post.

Best regards

Okay... here goes:

I would be very grateful if you (and Contrex) would/could also correct any errors in my posts.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:51 am
Mame wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Best regards

Okay... here goes:

I would be very grateful if you (and Contrex) would/could also correct any errors in my posts.

Thanks, Mame. Very helpful of you.
0 Replies