can/could

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 04:17 am
Deep inside our hearts, we knew that Aunt Maggie, being rich, was just trying to flaunt her wealth. Behind her back, Dad will/would often say, "See if she loses all her wealth one day!" We all wish that one day, we can/could get back at her. As expected the price tags of the watches were still there. I was utterly shocked when I saw that the watch cost ninety-nine dollars!

Should I use 'can' or 'could'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 349 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 05:45 am
Re: can/could
Tenses must agree

(present) We all wish that one day, we can get back at her.

(Past) We all wished that one day, we could get back at her.

Last night, when I was drunk, I thought I could sing. Today, now that I am sober, I know I cannot.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:12 am
contrex wrote:
Tenses must agree

(present) We all wish that one day, we can get back at her.

(Past) We all wished that one day, we could get back at her.

Last night, when I was drunk, I thought I could sing. Today, now that I am sober, I know I cannot.

Thanks, Contrex.

I asked the question because I thought 'wish' was used in the hypothetical sense. E.g. I wish I were a king.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 06:50 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
I asked the question because I thought 'wish' was used in the hypothetical sense. E.g. I wish I were a king.

OK I agree that we often use the verb "wish" about impossible things or things that are not likely to happen, so perhaps "could" would be more appropriate for either past or present, but you wrote "one day" which takes us from the hypothetical to the possible. We use the verb "hope" when something is possible, so maybe you should write either

We all hope that, one day, we can get back at her.

-or-

We all hoped that, one day, we could get back at her.
0 Replies