Need info on diet pills>>>>

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:13 am
I'm taking phen. to lose weight and I wanted to know if anyone knows of any side effects or long term ill effects from long term use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,396 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:08 pm
Phen/Fen was recalled in the USA and is no longer used as a diet drug. Taking Phen/Fen increases your chances of Primary Pulmonary Hypertension, which is a disease that attacks the lungs, has a poor prognosis, and is fatal. Ask your doctor about it's connection to valvular heart disease. Fake versions are sold on the internet, most fakes are made in China and are basically useless or toxic. I suggest you try something safe- like eating healthy food and being more active.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:40 am
I agree with Green Witch. I have been battling weight my entire life. When I was very young, I was on an over the counter diet pill that subsequently the F.D.A. took off the market as useless. I lost 25 lbs. on it. BTW, I also was eating right, and exercising. So what does that say?

Just for your information:

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration, acting on new evidence about significant side-effects associated with fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine, has asked the manufacturers to voluntarily withdraw both treatments for obesity from the market. Dexfenfluramine is manufactured for Interneuron Pharmaceuticals and marketed under the name of Redux by Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, a subsidiary of American Home Products Corp. of Madison, N.J., which also manufactures and markets fenfluramine under the brand name Pondimin. Both companies have agreed to voluntarily withdraw their drugs. The FDA is not requesting the withdrawal of phentermine, the third widely used medication for obesity.

The action is based on new findings from doctors who have evaluated patients taking these two drugs with echocardiograms, a special procedure that can test the functioning of heart valves. These findings indicate that approximately 30 percent of patients who were evaluated had abnormal echocardiograms, even though they had no symptoms. This is a much higher than expected percentage of abnormal test results.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/phen/fenphenpr81597.htm

If I were you, I would take the Phen-Phen and flush them down the toilet. They are DANGEROUS!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 07:53 am
As I recall they were involved in a major class action law suit, too... Sad
0 Replies

blondie76

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:49 am
It's not phen fen it's just phentermine it kept blocking out the word so i abbreveated it. So i don't know if it's the same. My doc said that it's not the same minus the other fen. So who knows. I was a little nervous about it
Though.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 09:04 am
We block the word (it's phen-ter-mi-ne, minus the hyphens) because the only times we ever see the word are because spammers and scammers are selling it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:50 pm
I Googled and found this site:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4151-Phentermine+Oral.aspx?drugid=4151&drugname=Phentermine+Oral

If the Automatic Spam Filter wipes out the link, go to

www.webmd.com (an excellent source of general information) and search for phen-ter-mine.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Ten pounds? Twenty pounds? Forty pounds? Somewhere in between?
0 Replies

blondie76

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:28 am
I'd like to lose between 45 and 50 pounds I've already lost like 25 pounds so the stuff really works it's just that I don't want to have any major lasting problems with taking these. I mean I faced reality a long time ago I'm never gonna be model thin. I just want to be healthy and not have to shop the plus size section anymore. I have 2 kids that carrying too much weight was causing me to miss out on doing activities with. So basicly what I'm saying is I want my life back. and I'm definately getting there now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
Blondie--

Since you're taking the pills with a doctor's supervision, you should be fine.

A twenty-five pound loss is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations. You're one third of the way towards your goal.
0 Replies

blondie76

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:54 pm
Thank u noddy i hope it keeps commin off it has definatly done wonders 4 my self esteem.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:59 pm
I'm not enthused about this, with licensed medical doctor (m.d.) or not. Fast weight loss very often means fast weight regain. There is no substitution for proper diet and exercise.

The heartbreak after a lot of fast weight loss and then a fast re-gain is very tough.

I hope you find a reasonable method of slow and steady weight loss.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:06 pm
It's true. The only way to lose weight is to change bad habits. Eat right and exercise. Any help with otc meds or rx meds means temporary results at best and is a crutch so that when you come off the drug you go back to eating normally...unless you have really great self discipline...and if you have that then you don't need the drug. Find healthy low cal and low fat things to eat when you are hungry...count it out BEFORE you get hungry in little snack baggies. Make sure you plan. It is the only way to succeed. Speaking from experience - had to lose 60lbs after having third child...ick. Tough - but it can be done!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm
I agree with the others that say the proper diet and exercise is the only healthy way to lose weight.

I've lost massive amounts of weight twice in my life and the only thing that worked for me was to completely change my eating habits and start to exercise.

I did it by counting calories. At first it's a pain in the butt because you need to know how many calories everything has. There are many sites that have lists of calories and some sites you can join (again, free of charge) where you can keep track of your daily calorie intake.
I went to the site every time I ate and I counted the calories for everything I ate and it adds up your calories for you everytime you add stuff for the day.
I'll get the link to the site after I finish posting here because I think it's an awesome tool, which even has a tookbar you can download, which tells you how many calories you've consumed so far that particular day.

The trick is to cut back and substitute healthier, less fatty, less bread, for low calorie foods. After a while, you know how many calories are in what, so you won't have to count anymore, unless you fall off track and gain a few. The site I mentioned tells you how many calories you need to consume in a healthy way per day for your height, age and body frame.
It even rates how healthy the foods are that you're eating.

I cut out most of my sugar by replacing it with Splenda, went from whole milk to skim milk and cut out the white bread almost completely and I still don't eat much bread anymore. Potatoes also liked to grow on my bones, so I limit those.
Just by doing that, I cut out at least 400 calories a day.

Oh, and drinking pop/soda will drag you down if you're on a diet, unless it's diet.

I actually eat more now, then before I started my diet and losing weight and it's because I'm eating the right stuff.

I hardly eat anything fried anymore and I do have to say that that was the hardest thing to give up. I loved the saturated fat and that's exactly what I turned into. I guess it's true when they say "we are what we eat" :-D

Anyway, my doc and I were talking during my last visit with him and he was telling me the same thing some others did here about the pills and other weight lost failures. He talked about how many end up eventually gaining back more than they lost.

He said I lost the weight the only right way.

Just a thought and now I'm off to get you that site link.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:47 pm
Here you go.
http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/index.php?SOURCE=toolbar&KEYWORD=logo

Great site! It helped me a lot!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:22 am
and whether you stay on the pills or not, you can always come chat with some of the rest of us here for moral support.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5813&start=5180
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 01:58 pm
Note: Nowhere does Blondie say that she's using the pills without diet and exercise.

Blondie--

You're very welcome in the A2K Virtual Weight Loss Club.
0 Replies

koreangel

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:36 pm
Blondie-

1. start loving yourself this will make you feel better outwardly
2. portion eating - portion your meals and dont eat until you are full.
3. avoid fast foods...that means no drive thrus and no eating out. cook at home more and always include salads in all your servings.
4. exercise regularly. it doesnt mean you have to go to the gym and run for 2 hours straight. you can walk around the block, the park, the mall as long as you are walking briskly. (don't forget to break a sweat) Smile
5. drink LOTS of water and eat lots of FIBEROUS foods
6. get your 7-8 hours of sleep. sleep is important.
7. we are all here for you and you are doing a GREAT job.

you do NOT need medication to lose weight. medication only makes your body vulnerable and addicted to it. once you get off that pill, you will feel awful because the weight you lost will come back.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:46 am
Great practical advice, koreangel. If I haven't welcomed you before, I've been remiss.

Welcome to A2K. Smile
0 Replies