Oh Gawd--I don't want to have arthritis at this age!

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:35 am
On August 1st, an acute pain broke out in both of my knees. No swelling, no redness. My first thought was: "Darn you lactate, you did it again." I took Ibuprofen, and went to bed. The pain wasn't there next morning. I was my usual self, and went jumping and hopping about everywhere.

The second day after the pain had occurred, however, I became suspicious. Surgery on the cards?, I began to wonder. Although the pain had vanished for the most part, I could feel I had little difficulty walking around. Some rudimentary pain and stiffness remained. Ice treatments and antibiotics followed. I began to feel better; it looked like this wasn't something serious. My mom and were convinced that the on-spot jogging I had been doing for a while was the culprit. It seems obvious. It definitely puts a lot of pressure on the knee joint.

But, yesterday, my left knee clicked and buckled every time it was bended or straightened. Now, that's SERIOUS.

We have decided to get an X-Ray/MRI done. My guess is that this is bursitis; but it could definitely be rheumatoid arthritis. Who knows. I am counting on on-spot jogging. Hope that's that.

What's to happen will happen but I can't concentrate on anything, really. And I must admit, this thread, too, is a distraction tool...but I hope you understand.

Please, keep me engaged. And, if possible, provide some words of comfort.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 28
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:39 am
Im 31 and I have arthritis in my hips.

It isnt so bad. Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:41 am
Really? It must be painful? Can you run or exercise?

I know this is childish (and please allow me some of that this time) to think like that but my biggest fear is I won't be able to exercise and run.

Oh Gaw...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:42 am
Hello there, spider! How nice to see you again. Very Happy
It's been a while.

I'm sorry to hear about this latest development. And I'm hoping it is nothing too serious.

Hmmm ... Well I've done my best here, bit I suspect you're neither comforted or engaged!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:43 am
well.. in the spirit of honesty, no. I cant run.

I can bike, but not for long. So I do it alot.. during the day off and on.

Walking is fine, unless it is about to rain.

Truly.. it probably SOUNDS worse then it is.
I can take aleve and be fine. Except for the rainy days Confused Then.. well.. it just pisses me off.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:59 am
msolga wrote:
Hello there, spider! How nice to see you again. Very Happy
It's been a while.

I'm sorry to hear about this latest development. And I'm hoping it is nothing too serious.

Hmmm ... Well I've done my best here, bit I suspect you're neither comforted or engaged!

Thanks so much, Msolga! Ya know, every bit helps! My best bet at this time is to google my favorite (good looking, ehem) athletes and look at their pics. That provides some distraction.

It's REALLY serious, but I am just trying to BE.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:01 am
shewolfnm wrote:
well.. in the spirit of honesty, no. I cant run.

I can bike, but not for long. So I do it alot.. during the day off and on.

Walking is fine, unless it is about to rain.

Truly.. it probably SOUNDS worse then it is.
I can take aleve and be fine. Except for the rainy days Confused Then.. well.. it just pisses me off.

Wow, that's quite brave. And optimistic.

If I get arthritis, I guess I WILL learn to adjust. I, too, am an optimistic of sorts, but at the moment, can't seem get over the anxiety.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:03 am
There is a med called Remicade for rheumatoid arthritis. It's also used for the Crohn's (an inflamatory bowel disease) that my son has. Every 2 months he goes as an outpatient for an infusion (an IV) that takes about 2 -3 hours.
It's a miracle drug. Since he's been on it he's been sympton-free.

I also know someone that receives Remicade for her rheumatoid arthritis and, she too is symptom-free. So, don't let the possibilty of rheumatoid arthritis scare the bejesus out of you. It is treatable and you can live a normal life doing what you've always done.

However, since insurance companies usually want other more economical (read: cheaper) options explored, you may have to try various other meds first. We went through at least 7 other prescriptions first before the gastroenterologist decided that it was time to try the infusions.

Remain calm. Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:15 am
Hmm...

OK, I promise to keep calm. And if I am able to run and exercise with it, it's just fine. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:20 am
Spidergal--

All I have is sympathy--not so much for your knees as for not knowing about your knees. When is your appointment?

Uncertainity is major stress.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:22 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Spidergal--

All I have is sympathy--not so much for your knees as for not knowing about your knees. When is your appointment?

Uncertainity is major stress.

Tomorrow probably. But if it rains, day after tomorrow.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:36 am
Hiya, Spidergal!

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Baarishon mein vaise bhi joro mein thora dard hota hai, lekin voh hum boorhon ki nishani hai. Yeh kahi saawan ka prakop toh nahi?

Didn't you say your father is a doc? Or is your mum?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:52 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Hiya, Spidergal!

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Baarishon mein vaise bhi joro mein thora dard hota hai, lekin voh hum boorhon ki nishani hai. Yeh kahi saawan ka prakop toh nahi?

Didn't you say your father is a doc? Or is your mum?

<smiles>

Sawan ka prakop to nahi prateet hota. Figure banane ke chakkar mein galat exercise kar dali. Bas yahi prathana hai bhagwan se ye koi bhayankar bemari nahi ho.... Haan, mere pitashri chikitsak hain...magar he's an oncologist. Kisi orthopedic ko dikhana hoga... Waise it's a relief ki ghar mein ek doctor hai....I keep bugging dad with "Dad, you don't know..it's surely got to be arthritis." Dad replies, "Main doctor hoon ki aap."

Dhanyawad waise reply karne ke liye....aur Happy Independence Day...

Mera Bharat mahan...
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:18 am
Bahot achache! Aap apne doctor dad sey argue karti hai, lagta hai ki aap mini-doctor hain.

Happy Independence Day to you too! Aapka Bharat mahan. Mera desh ab US hi hai. (Jis thali mein khate hai usme ched nahi karte hai hum).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:43 am
Quote:
We have decided to get an X-Ray/MRI done. My guess is that this is bursitis; but it could definitely be rheumatoid arthritis. Who knows. I am counting on on-spot jogging. Hope that's that.

Spidergal- Why don't you wait for the tests to come back before you torment yourself with self-diagnosis?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 08:51 am
I wish I were that wise...but I will try.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:03 am
spider girl
Spider girl, the important thing is that you get a competent diagnosis so you can start treatment before any more damage occurs.

I'm 78 years old and started arthritis in my 20s. It was not until my 40s that doctors diagnosed my osteo arthritis which, by that time, had spread from my head to toes. That 20 years of non-diagnoses severely damaged my skeletal structure.

Early diagnosis is the key to a good outcome.

BBB
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:38 pm
Hiya spidey! I went to Jr. High and High School with a gal who had arthritic knees. She was already diagnosed when she moved to our district so I'm guessing she was diagnosed before she was 13. Hey, it happens.

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, of course.

Anyway, my knees and ankles click a lot. I guess this means I have a rhythm section if I decide to take up the harmonica.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:46 pm
I am thinking you've done some stuff to your knees recently, and if you see an orthopedist or rheumatologist, this will be clarified. I'm not yet worried for you, but if I'm wrong, it is good to catch stuff early.

Me - I had a lab to do rheumatology tests, back in the late sixties, some of those tests being mid leap from experimental to routine some years later.
I'm not only not an md, I'm decades away from that - surely don't listen to me, but see people who really know knees.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:51 pm
Re: Oh Gawd--I don't want to have arthritis at this age!
spidergal wrote:
But, yesterday, my left knee clicked and buckled every time it was bended or straightened. Now, that's SERIOUS.

Both of my knees (and both ankles) click all the time. T'aint serious nor arthritis.
0 Replies